OT: 2013 red sox/mlb thread part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr*

With Drew, it seems like some of you hate him and want him off the team no matter what and some of you are willing to defend him to the point of wanting to have his babies.

Can't we just take him for what he is? A not terrible yet not altogether great shortstop who could be improved upon but likely won't cause us to lose anything either.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
Just got home and watched the last few innings off the PVR.........Iglesias definitely would have had that. :sarcasm:

They had to lose one of those games at some point. Seems like every other game there's a big comeback win.

So how does JBJ's arm compare to Ellsbury's? It would have been tough for any center fielder to throw Davis out but other teams don't even hesitate one bit when the ball is hit to Ellsbury. He isn't throwing anyone out from center field with that arm.

Well as long as we're on this, Workman is just as much at fault for putting them in this position. He hung a 1-2 pitch in the strike zone allowing Davis to hit a double. Previous to that Davis swung at 2 pitches below the knee. He just did not locate the ball and maybe even impatient on his part to throw a similar pitch. Certainly on a 1-2 count he can afford to waste a pitch or two since Davis's speed on the base is effective, plus what hurts is the Sox pitcher's inattentiveness to holding runners close to the bag.

For some reason Farrell went with him too long and did not bring in Britton. Drake has been pretty good out of the pen most of the time. Sure, he had 3 good innings in relief but he gave up a leadoff double to guy who is a killer on the base path and that just put them in a really bad position to lose the game.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Acr, that's pretty much spot on yet I don't think the other side would ever admit it.

Bceagle, workman definitely gets some blame for that last pitch to lawrie. Bad pitch (am I allowed to say that?)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Ummm no attempt at a slide to get in there safely or at least make it tougher on the catcher?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Acr, that's pretty much spot on yet I don't think the other side would ever admit it.

Bceagle, workman definitely gets some blame for that last pitch to lawrie. Bad pitch (am I allowed to say that?)

Really? I don't think I have said anything strongly about Stephen Drew in either direction.

He is what he is. Fine.

I did say I thought he would easily outhit Iglesias the rest of the way, but I think you will too Johnny.

acr*

It's mostly that we spend so much of our discussion time in this thread talking about bit players. But if we're this free to niggle over an 8 hole batter, I suppose that's a sign of a good season.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008

BCeagle, workman definitely gets some blame for that last pitch to lawrie. Bad pitch (am I allowed to say that?)

I think you mean Rajah Davis, not Lawrie. Davis had a 1-2 count before Workman gave him a pitch in the strike zone that was WAY too good. Davis smacked it for a leadoff double that put them in a difficult situation.

acr*

If Buehrle doesn't stick his foot out to knock that down, Toronto's got a double play.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Fine for this year, yes. I would agree with that. Just seems like some people take great offense if you say anything bad about him.

Let me be clear, it's not personal. I am not and never will be a player worshipper. I will be critical. I get enough of the ballwashing on nesn, don't need it here too.

acr*

Another wasted chance, but at least we've got Buerhle's pitch count up over 40 after 2.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
4 hits thru 2 and no runs...don't be one of those nights

Bceagle I mixed up what you were talking about. I was in fact talking about the pitch to lawrie.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
my issue is the constant **** thrown at drew who is, as i've shown, an above average shortstop as far as the league goes. when i brought up that most people here are red sox fans first and foremost, i was attacked for what johnnyduke perceived as a slight against people who don't have time to watch baseball or something. what i was implying is that as far as the rest of the league goes, and i do watch the rest of the league a fair bit, there are contenders who would love to have stephen drew on their team. look at what the tigers gave up to have a babip all-star because of how glacial miguel cabrera is on the left side of the infield. the rangers gave 8 years and 200 trillion dollars to elvis andrus because of his ability to run and play defense. the nationals are in need of a real shortstop, same as the pirates. the cardinals have been playing a ****** one there all season (kozma) and the diamondbacks gave up trevor bauer and chris young for two defensive shortstops this offseason. the point is that defense is important. when you have a player like stephen drew on a one year contract, you take the ups with the downs. that drew has given the offense what he's given it is a bonus. at the end of the year, he's gone.

what i don't like is the snark that borders on smug in this thread sometimes, the people who just can't wait to be the best snarker and seem to breed when the team has a poor road trip.

essentially, appreciate what you have.

acr*

simpsons-technical-difficulties1.jpg

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
4 hits thru 2 and no runs...don't be one of those nights

Bceagle I mixed up what you were talking about. I was in fact talking about the pitch to lawrie.

I don't disagree with the pitch to Lawrie either but that was a catchable ball by Drew that ended up as the game winning hit. But the pitch to Davis was awful too, especially on a 1-2 count.

I like how Peavy showed some emotion when he screwed up, something that I don't see from Lester. Lester is more of a "oh well" look.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
Boy do I hate that when you have 2 chances for a sac fly. Middlebrooks has a chance to belong up here and strikes out too. Up to Ells now. Awful execution.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Missed opportunities on offense and now an error on defense. Tie game.

Peavy pitched well too.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
In fairness to Lawrie, I didn't think Ellsbury was going to catch that until the last 1.5 seconds. He was thinking about scoring when it went over Jacoby's head.

Also, in even more fairness, if Daniel Nava had been the one running, he would have walked back to the dugout.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
Figures, now they get a hit with no one on base. Let's see if Middlebrooks can get him in. Swings at a ball. No idea what a strike zone is. Wow 2 balls that look like a strike. Full count and he gets a walk. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad