OT: 2013 red sox/mlb thread part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
so you just set yourself up for a joke there.

forever_alone_by_foreveraloneplz.png

I just love him so much :cry:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I watched this game on SportsNet Pacific and they were using the ROOT Sports feed from Seattle. The announcers were hilarious in the bottom of the 9th inning as they had lost all their objectivity and didn't seem to care how it came across. They must have mentioned about 5 or 6 times during the Red Sox rally just how badly Seattle needed a double play. The best part was when Victorino hit his single and they both were like " Ah - come on " . :laugh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I watched this game on SportsNet Pacific and they were using the ROOT Sports feed from Seattle. The announcers were hilarious in the bottom of the 9th inning as they had lost all their objectivity and didn't seem to care how it came across. They must have mentioned about 5 or 6 times during the Red Sox rally just how badly Seattle needed a double play. The best part was when Victorino hit his single and they both were like " Ah - come on " . :laugh:

Game was blacked out on MLB TV so I had that feed as well. It was hilarious.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

They are the home town announcers, why would anyone expect anything less than homerism from a home town announcer. Lord knows Remy is

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

They are the home town announcers, why would anyone expect anything less than homerism from a home town announcer. Lord knows Remy is

There's homerism and then there's HOMERISM and these guys brought it to a lew level tonight in the bottom of the 9th.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
Wow, I think we lost to King Felix and also won Verse the M's I can't believe they won I did not catch any of the game but got the score at 7-1.

Nice win ))

Dempster has to be a concern with another bad outing.

Will be there tonight vs Arizona

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Dempster can go to the bullpen & Workman can make a few starts. Our pitching staff looks real good. Just hope Buch can come back and contribute.

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
We are the last group of people that should be complaining about homer announcers between Jack, Remy, and Heinsohn...

edit: not targeting the posts above me or anything, I'm just making an observation. I'd have done the same thing if I a Seattle announcer last night

Spoked-B

Nov 3, 2005
Southern NH
We are the last group of people that should be complaining about homer announcers between Jack, Remy, and Heinsohn...

edit: not targeting the posts above me or anything, I'm just making an observation. I'd have done the same thing if I a Seattle announcer last night

I think homer announcers are great for the local feed. They are part of the "fabric" of the fanbase, and I like when they react the way we do. Of course, I grew up with Cusick, Most, Heinson, etc. For a national broadcast I can see wanting objective announcers, as it is about the game. But for a local feed, it is about the game AND the laundry!

(Probably why I think national broadcast banter is boring, but I love the local banter :) )

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Every home town team announcer is a homer, because they are calling the game for the hometown fans.

The question is do they ever call out their own team? Do they ever criticize the players or the team or manager or anyone? Do they ever say the team got a bad call go their way?

I think almost every set of announcers in Boston does.

I don't care if it is clear the announcer is invested and wants the team to do well, just so long as I don't think I am listening to propaganda.

If you aren't sure what I mean, just look at the Yankees with Ma and Pa Yankee calling their games and Hawk Harrelson in Chicago.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Put Dempster on the DL, he's been pitching hurt for a couple of months now (I believe they said it's his groin or hammy). Give him a couple of weeks off and get him ready for the last stretch. We can afford to do it now that we know we can trot Peavy and Workman out there.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Credit to Wright last night. Great job coming out of the pen. Saved the bullpen, got the win

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
Every home town team announcer is a homer, because they are calling the game for the hometown fans.

The question is do they ever call out their own team? Do they ever criticize the players or the team or manager or anyone? Do they ever say the team got a bad call go their way?

I think almost every set of announcers in Boston does.

I don't care if it is clear the announcer is invested and wants the team to do well, just so long as I don't think I am listening to propaganda.

If you aren't sure what I mean, just look at the Yankees with Ma and Pa Yankee calling their games and Hawk Harrelson in Chicago.

Mike Gorman is perhaps closest thing to non homer in town. Castiglione and O'Brien the worst.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Hello all. Been out of pocket for a few days so i apologize if i'm going over old material.

Been going back and forth with a friend regarding expanding instant replay review since that gong show last monday night and i was wondering what you guys think of the following:

Each manager gets 1 challenge flag that he can use at any time for anything other than balls or strikes. If he loses the challenge he gets penalized by not being allowed to send out the pitching coach to the mound for whoever is pitching for him at that point in time. (so once that pitchers night is done things just revert to normal).

What are your thoughts?

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
How about before expanding instant replay, we get a "shot clock" of sorts for the pitcher. No more giving 45 seconds in between pitches it is insane. Put a timer somewhere on the scoreboard so everyone can see.

Before replay is expanded, I want to see something done about the duration of these games otherwise we're going to be there for 5 hours

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How about before expanding instant replay, we get a "shot clock" of sorts for the pitcher. No more giving 45 seconds in between pitches it is insane. Put a timer somewhere on the scoreboard so everyone can see.

Before replay is expanded, I want to see something done about the duration of these games otherwise we're going to be there for 5 hours

Do you have a shot clock on the hitters as well? How about them taking their time getting in there, and then at the last second calling time, and restarting the cycle for another 45 seconds is a killer.

Oh and how about we call strikes. Letting a guy take a 2-2 pitch belt high and on the outside corner for a ball is just a joke

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
^Yeah, I think it's a little easier said then done there, chief. I umpired and it's hard enough to call an 85 mph fastball on the black, let alone some 95 cheese. Borderline pitches are borderline pitches for a reason- somebody's always gonna be pissed.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center

the marathon nature of these games is an important but separate issue.

So i'm putting you down in the "no instant replay" category.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Having an official upstairs or a war room like the NHL does is the obvious, easy, and simple step to get these things right and quickly.

Obviously MLB will not do this.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Having an official upstairs or a war room like the NHL does is the obvious, easy, and simple step to get these things right and quickly.

Obviously MLB will not do this.

agreed on both counts Mike: it's a good idea, AND mlb won't do it.

However, you do something like that and you'll need to put a limit on it otherwise you run smack dab into the issue that Patrice37 mentioned about the length of games. That's why i'm intrigued about the idea of an NFL like challenge flag, 1 per team. With the penalty i've mentioned. There are no TO's in baseball obviously, so that was the best we could come up with, short of something drastic like an additional automatic out or something.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
About the "homer" issue and "why don't guys call the team out?"

Look at where that got Sean McDonough with the Red Sox.

Of course, you don't want to be Hawk Harrelson neither, but still...

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
agreed on both counts Mike: it's a good idea, AND mlb won't do it.

However, you do something like that and you'll need to put a limit on it otherwise you run smack dab into the issue that Patrice37 mentioned about the length of games. That's why i'm intrigued about the idea of an NFL like challenge flag, 1 per team. With the penalty i've mentioned. There are no TO's in baseball obviously, so that was the best we could come up with, short of something drastic like an additional automatic out or something.

Good points, I'm definitely not in the "no instant replay" camp I just don't want to see them half-ass it. I like the war room and the challenge ideas both are pretty interesting. I don't actually want a shot clock but it would be nice to see some sort time monitoring for both pitchers and hitters but like you said, that's another topic. Maybe like the PGA you could put certain players or a team in general "on the clock" as in a warning but still, you need a punishment that impacts the offender party but not drastic - the reason I enjoy your challenge idea

Hopefully they get it right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad