OT: 2013 red sox/mlb thread part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
to cartmenez or however you spell it.

i was being sarcastic. obviously price isn't going to sign for that long and that little. but i bet he loses a year or two of free agency when he does.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
So the Mariners GM proclaimed they're not selling. Do they drug test the suits in mlb?

I think they go after a Cano or Ellsbury, Garza and try to mkae a 500 team into a contender, if there prospects are getting close witch they are, there jump along with the new real good Fa's they could field a good team in 1 or two years.

I think they want to start winning within 1.5-2 years, not wait for 5 more years and hope to have a good prospect at every position budding into thier line-up, but King felix starting to slow.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
After watching that game last night, does anyone else see how badly the Sox need a true ace to be a legit team? There's no way they keep winning and sustain their level of play with a couple of 3's and 4's, and Buch whining about his shoulder being stiff.

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
After watching that game last night, does anyone else see how badly the Sox need a true ace to be a legit team? There's no way they keep winning and sustain their level of play with a couple of 3's and 4's, and Buch whining about his shoulder being stiff.

I was listening to the game last night, and in between the constant Shaw's promoting, they were actually comparing Price and Bucholtz as on the same level as aces. I used to love listening to the games growing up, but they can't get through a batter anymore without selling something.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Doubby hasn't been bad at all. So far we've sustained not having Buch back. Its no shocker we're looking at Peavy (though is he really the answer?)

I'm concerned about not being able to score a run when it matters. Maybe we need a bat upgrade. Its not like we're being blown out. I just worry. We're in a good position here. We can spend some $$ on some upgrades.

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
Doubby hasn't been bad at all. So far we've sustained not having Buch back. Its no shocker we're looking at Peavy (though is he really the answer?)

I'm concerned about not being able to score a run when it matters. Maybe we need a bat upgrade. Its not like we're being blown out. I just worry. We're in a good position here. We can spend some $$ on some upgrades.
I think Michael Young is about the best they can do at the deadline to upgrade the offense. He helps but not a great third baseman

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I was listening to the game last night, and in between the constant Shaw's promoting, they were actually comparing Price and Bucholtz as on the same level as aces. I used to love listening to the games growing up, but they can't get through a batter anymore without selling something.

Bucholz started off the season pretty hot, no question. It's just that he's never been a durable guy. Ever. Hard to call a guy who can't reach 200 innings consistently, an ace, IMO. Price has topped 200 innings the last 3 season. Bucholz has never come close to even pitching 200 innings, let alone consistently giving the team that.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

It's not that the guys on the roster have been bad. They've actually been very good, which is why I say it's not something that is really sustainable. It's just that they're getting way more out of their 3,4,5 spots than they should be, while getting nothing from their 1 and 2. Basically, you can't count on Lackey, Doubby, Ryan, and whatever dude they call up from Pawtucket to continue they way they have. The law of averages will catch up to them and they'll go back to what they really are.

I do agree that they need another bat too though, but I'm not sure I want to see them become buyers. I would rather they sell at the deadline this year, and set themselves up for future seasons. They may be in the playoff hunt, but I don't think this team has enough pitching and offense to beat the elite teams this year.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
They're in a tough spot at this point. On the one hand, they don't seem to have the pitching or the bats to beat some of the superior rosters in the AL, notably TB and Detroit. That said, they've proven over a very respectable sample size that they belong in that group of teams. So despite what our eyes might tell us, the records are the records.

Deep down I don't think this team has a real chance at a WS, but if I were in the front office I'd have a hard time standing pat, let alone "selling", at the deadline. Tough to essentially throw away a season when you are a top 3 team at this point. Almost unheard of really.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They're in a tough spot at this point. On the one hand, they don't seem to have the pitching or the bats to beat some of the superior rosters in the AL, notably TB and Detroit. That said, they've proven over a very respectable sample size that they belong in that group of teams. So despite what our eyes might tell us, the records are the records.

Deep down I don't think this team has a real chance at a WS, but if I were in the front office I'd have a hard time standing pat, let alone "selling", at the deadline. Tough to essentially throw away a season when you are a top 3 team at this point. Almost unheard of really.

This is exactly why I think they're going to be a buyer at the deadline, even if it may impact the long term prognosis of the team. Hard spot to be in if you're Cherington. Eyeball test tells you that they have a less than zero chance of beating Detroit, TB, or even Texas, yet it's hard to sell when your team is battling those guys for the best record.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I think it's obvious that if Buchholz remains on the sideline and if Lester can't get back to how he was pitching in April or at least to something better than what he's been since then, it's going to be very difficult to keep up the pace they are at. But to want the team to be sellers at the deadline? I think that's flat out dumb. You don't sell when you have the best record in the AL. Plus, you can buy without giving up your top prospects.

They've played one road series against the Tigers and they've owned Tampa this year. Let's be fair about it. Detroit is in a suckbag division and have underperformed to date. Texas wouldn't even be in the playoffs if they started today.

So, if we eventually get April Buchholz and Lester, the Sox can beat any team out there. Certainly big ifs, I understand that. If we don't have a reliable Buch/Lester...probably won't win in the playoffs.

acr*

Rain delay, and they're probably going to be waiting there a while hoping to get the game in since it's the last game of the series and the Rays won't be back the rest of the year. The forecast doesn't look good for that though.

On one hand, I want to watch a game tonight. On the other, it's probably for the best that we wait until the Rays cool off from their ridiculous hot streak to play them again. Plus a rainout guarantees that we leave the series still on top of the division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad