2013 panthers training camp thread

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
your right RR im worried about D these lst few games, which are crucial.

AG this is where keaton ellerby has to take the next step to prove he belongs on this squad. The last 3 seasons hes come up and down as a player. He needs to establish himself as a quality defensemen who is reliable on any given night. It has to happen now.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
AG this is where keaton ellerby has to take the next step to prove he belongs on this squad. The last 3 seasons hes come up and down as a player. He needs to establish himself as a quality defensemen who is reliable on any given night. It has to happen now.

Hopefully, he's been eating his wheaties.

johano90

Nov 27, 2006
South Florida
A few thoughts from today's camp:

As has been reported elsewhere, Mueller and Kovalev had an open slot on the LW which is being saved for Huberdeau. Kovalev was alright, didn't look too slow and his skills were definitely up to par. Mueller was not as noteworthy as when I saw him last week.

The Weiss line didn't really stand out. It seemed like some chemistry was lacking and Weiss was coughing on the ice...

Upshall - Matthias - Kopecky, pleasantly surprised with Uppy and Matthias, Kopecky was nearly invisible and missed several shot opportunities. Their line brought forth the only goal, a real garbage goal off a broken play. I thought Matthias got it but apparently it was Caruso.

Rheult - Shore - Howden, it could tell these guys played together. During drills they were fantastic, barely got any playing time during the scrimmage. I was watching them do 3 on 2s on the Markstrom ice and out of 20-25 attempts between the Shore line, Matthias line, and Weiss line, the Shore line had 3 out of 4 goals - Marky was outstanding. Rheault either had 2 or 3 of his line's goals... Howden got chewed out by Dineen during the scrimmage.

Svatos - Santorelli - Wright. Wright surprised me actually, he looked pretty good out there. Strong skater, good hands. Santorelli made some really horrible plays. He whiffed on his first shot, a wrist shot... Missed passes, etc. But then he really picked up his skating and looked decent during the scrimmage. Svatos was largely invisible and looked like he didn't want to be there.

Did I forget anyone?

The D were as you would expect. Definitely better than the forwards during the scrimmage as the score was 1-0. Caruso stood out, but not always in a good way. He really can't pass the puck... He's essentially the antithesis of Campbell's passing. He has a good shot though... Weaver was solid. Kuba looked a little bit uncomfortable playing with Campbell but I guess it's the first day...

Goalies were great, especially Markstrom. He didn't get to play during the scrimmage at all and looked to be really frustrated talking to Tallas...

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

Very true, this is his moment to shine.

Its going to be a sprint, with a photofinish....very exciting.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

As has been reported elsewhere, Mueller and Kovalev had an open slot on the LW which is being saved for Huberdeau. Kovalev was alright, didn't look too slow and his skills were definitely up to par. Mueller was not as noteworthy as when I saw him last week.

The Weiss line didn't really stand out. It seemed like some chemistry was lacking and Weiss was coughing on the ice...

Upshall - Matthias - Kopecky, pleasantly surprised with Uppy and Matthias, Kopecky was nearly invisible and missed several shot opportunities. Their line brought forth the only goal, a real garbage goal off a broken play. I thought Matthias got it but apparently it was Caruso.

Rheult - Shore - Howden, it could tell these guys played together. During drills they were fantastic, barely got any playing time during the scrimmage. I was watching them do 3 on 2s on the Markstrom ice and out of 20-25 attempts between the Shore line, Matthias line, and Weiss line, the Shore line had 3 out of 4 goals - Marky was outstanding. Rheault either had 2 or 3 of his line's goals... Howden got chewed out by Dineen during the scrimmage.

Svatos - Santorelli - Wright. Wright surprised me actually, he looked pretty good out there. Strong skater, good hands. Santorelli made some really horrible plays. He whiffed on his first shot, a wrist shot... Missed passes, etc. But then he really picked up his skating and looked decent during the scrimmage. Svatos was largely invisible and looked like he didn't want to be there.

Did I forget anyone?

The D were as you would expect. Definitely better than the forwards during the scrimmage as the score was 1-0. Caruso stood out, but not always in a good way. He really can't pass the puck... He's essentially the antithesis of Campbell's passing. He has a good shot though... Weaver was solid. Kuba looked a little bit uncomfortable playing with Campbell but I guess it's the first day...

Goalies were great, especially Markstrom. He didn't get to play during the scrimmage at all and looked to be really frustrated talking to Tallas...

Good to hear. Sights and sounds of the old days.

:shakehead

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Ahhh, doesn't take long for the Old Panthers nervousness to set in.

Not Panther's nervousness. We might be missing 1/3 of our D. Much needed secondary scoring in Bergie and great two way play from Goc (in a position we're weak in.) A poor start will ruin the season.

Erick*

George Richards‏@GeorgeRichards

Kevin Dineen says no Marcel Goc (ankle) or Erik Gudbranson (shoulder) through #FlaPanthers first three games (#nhlCanes, at #Sens & #Habs)

According to the yahoo fantasy leagues some of us are playing in, the update on Goc today is that he's suspended, not injured. Suspended because the new CBA allows teams to suspend players who get injured playing in foreign leagues.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Did I forget anyone?

Skille?

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Not Panther's nervousness. We might be missing 1/3 of our D. Much needed secondary scoring in Bergie and great two way play from Goc (in a position we're weak in.) A poor start will ruin the season.

all valid

half full cup read: Huberdeau.Huberdeau.Huberdeau. have i mentioned Huberdeau?

shootout lineup of Huberdeau.kovalov mueller is best for us since SO inception.

As far as D, ouch. fingers crosed on call ups for adequatre fill in.

Need a hot goalie. everything else will fall in place...

Last edited:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
all valid

half full cup read: hubredeau hubredeau hubredeau. . have i mentioned hubredeau?

shootout lineup of hubredeau kovalov mueller is best for us since SO inception.

Not to nitpick. But it's spelled: Huberdeau.

Erick*

I think our defense is fine even with the injuries. I liked Strachan last year and I don't think Ellerby is a terrible fill-in either. Ellerby has the skill; he just has to be more consistent with the puck, imo, because his turnovers can be brutal and usually end up in the back of the net.

At the end of the day, this team's problem is the same problem it had last year/the same problem it's had for years. Who's going to score?

Also not sure if Theodore and Clemmensen can sustain what they did last year, which is the main reason why the team played the playoffs last year, imo.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I think our defense is fine even with the injuries. I liked Strachan last year and I don't think Ellerby is a terrible fill-in either. Ellerby has the skill; he just has to be more consistent with the puck, imo, because his turnovers can be brutal and usually end up in the back of the net.

At the end of the day, this team's problem is the same problem it had last year/the same problem it's had for years. Who's going to score?

Also not sure if Theodore and Clemmensen can sustain what they did last year, which is the main reason why the team played the playoffs last year, imo.

My biggest fear.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Ellerby is perfectly capable of filling in and being reliable. He just needs playing time. Whenever he got to play several games in a row, he looked fine.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
all valid

half full cup read: Huberdeau.Huberdeau.Huberdeau. have i mentioned Huberdeau?

shootout lineup of Huberdeau.kovalov mueller is best for us since SO inception.

I think we'll be fine on D. Depth down the middle worries me. I think goaltending could go either way. Shootouts should be an area we improve on. I'm hoping we get to them.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

They must score by committee. Rely on defense to help score. Score on the powerplay. Same as last year.

Except, our main powerplay weapon is gone. 52.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
They must score by committee. Rely on defense to help score. Score on the powerplay. Same as last year.

Except, our main powerplay weapon is gone. 52.

Garrison's effectiveness basically disappeared after the first 20 games of last season. Once teams started focusing on not letting campbell set him up, he fell off a cliff and eventually was replaced on the #1 PP unit

also why hasnt huberdeau arrived yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad