2013 panthers training camp thread

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
So figure on Wright, Caruso & Petrovic going back to San Antonio gets us done to 24 that means gotta figure out 1 roster spot huh?

George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards

With Svatos released, Goc and Bergenheim starting on IR, #FlaPanthers roster at 25. Gudbranson makes that 24. So few moves remaining.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
I could see them IR'ing Guds as well and only needing to clear one more roster spot. In that case, Wright comes to SA after he clears and voila...you're at 23.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Love the optimism G4P, but we watches two different scrimmages last night

I remember being so optimistic after the Rampage had their preseason scrimmage. The final score was something like 7-6 and I was really happy with the offense.

Well, we see how that all turned out...

CoolburnIsGone

I'll remind everyone again, roster spots are all well and good but gotta still clear a contract off the books to have Kovalev on the roster. Gotta pray someone claims Santorelli at this point.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Svatos looked like he was really trying hard in the scrimmage, but I'm not completely shocked that he was cut. Interesting to see which of the ones left fighting for jobs do make the cut though. With Weaver possibly out and the defense so thin at the moment, it feels strange to know that Caruso and Petrovic may be on the Opening Night roster.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
I'll remind everyone again, roster spots are all well and good but gotta still clear a contract off the books to have Kovalev on the roster. Gotta pray someone claims Santorelli at this point.

Or...they sign Kovalev now to that 50th NHL contract and worry about dropping someone if/when Kulikov decides to sign.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Yes the Leafs have placed Connolly on waivers, if noone picks him up by noon tomorrow he will be bought out and anyone can sign him. I don't recommend the Panthers signing him as a Leafs and Panthers fan Connolly was horrible he's very injury prone. Here is a link to the article and a list of other players by other teams who were placed on waivers, I was really surprised to see Irving and Karlsson both young goalies by the Flames placed on waivers they can be future backups to Markstrom one day, and can make good backups even maybe push Markstrom for the starting role one day

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413760

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Yes the Leafs have placed Connolly on waivers, if noone picks him up by noon tomorrow he will be bought out and anyone can sign him. I don't recommend the Panthers signing him as a Leafs and Panthers fan Connolly was horrible he's very injury prone. Here is a link to the article and a list of other players by other teams who were placed on waivers, I was really surprised to see Irving and Karlsson both young goalies by the Flames placed on waivers they can be future backups to Markstrom one day, and can make good backups even maybe push Markstrom for the starting role one day

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413760

Just to confirm, they put him on waivers, but NOT with the intention to buy him out. He will not be a free agent.

CoolburnIsGone

Is there a practice or a scrimmage tommorow ?

I can't find a camp schedule online.
Yes they will be practicing tomorrow in Sunrise instead of at the Iceplex. Open to the public, free admission.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Some camp thoughts...

Keaton Ellerby - IMO he is ready for a full time spot in our top 6, soon top 4. He's looked great all camp, very promising. Really reminds me so much of the package Bouw used to bring to us.

Marek Svatos - As much as people have been hyping up Kovalev because of the obvious skill he brings, I think Svatos has been as good. He seems to work very hard, has great hands and could be a really good player. I see him playing somewhere on this team, at least I hope he does.

Filip Kuba - I read some people disappointed in his play.. I disagree with that. He's got a quiet game, makes simple plays, solid defensively. Definitely a good guy to have back there.

Peter Mueller - Best way to describe him is a poor mans Nathan Horton. Not quite the hands Horton had, but a similar shot, big but not necessarily a power forward, I like him..

James Wright - Shawn Matthias 2.0

Top line - They are moving the puck sharply IMO..

Overall what I saw in the scrimmage is going to happen a lot for the start of the season.. Players will be dumping pucks in, but there won't be top much of a forechecking. Gonna be a lot of energy conservation.

Oh yeah, Gudbranson is getting big!
I think all Ellerby needs is playing time. He played pretty well last year when he got regular playing time due to injuries.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
I need help from Panther fans! Would it be wise to drop Markstrom, or does he have a shot at getting a decent amount of games in relatively soon?

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
I need help from Panther fans! Would it be wise to drop Markstrom, or does he have a shot at getting a decent amount of games in relatively soon?

Are you talking about fantasy? Drop him- he wont have a significant role here for at least another year, barring injury to Theo/Clemmer. (Or their game suddenly goes to hell.)

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
Are you talking about fantasy? Drop him- he wont have a significant role here for at least another year, barring injury to Theo/Clemmer. (Or their game suddenly goes to hell.)

Yup sorry that's what I meant. thanks for the advice though

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
Svatos looked like he was really trying hard in the scrimmage, but I'm not completely shocked that he was cut. Interesting to see which of the ones left fighting for jobs do make the cut though. With Weaver possibly out and the defense so thin at the moment, it feels strange to know that Caruso and Petrovic may be on the Opening Night roster.

Can you give me more info about Marek's current shape? My team just signed him and I'm not sure if he will be an asset (especially with tough playoffs coming) after such a long break. Peter Budaj said that he saw him during training and that he was back to his former self but apparently the Panthers disagreed.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Can you give me more info about Marek's current shape? My team just signed him and I'm not sure if he will be an asset (especially with tough playoffs coming) after such a long break. Peter Budaj said that he saw him during training and that he was back to his former self but apparently the Panthers disagreed.

From what I saw, he looked to be in decent shape. Kovalev just happened to beat him to a spot. I wish him luck across the pond :)

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
From what I saw, he looked to be in decent shape. Kovalev just happened to beat him to a spot. I wish him luck across the pond :)

Thanks, we desperately need a scorer for the play-offs and if he's really back to his former self, KHL could serve as a good restart for his career. By the way, if you want to see him play, he will play for Slovan Bratislava this Saturday against Severstal Cherepovets (5th and 6th team in the Western Conference, a crucial match).

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Thanks, we desperately need a scorer for the play-offs and if he's really back to his former self, KHL could serve as a good restart for his career. By the way, if you want to see him play, he will play for Slovan Bratislava this Saturday against Severstal Cherepovets (5th and 6th team in the Western Conference, a crucial match).

My mom is from his hometown, kosice. I never got a chance to tell him that the one practice I went to he was already cut. Obviously Ill be rooting for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad