Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLight*

Oh Gawd... this thread just keeps getting worse and worse.

Cool story bro

Gryba played 20 min a game on a playoff team while Petry is the #3D on one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

I like Petry, and I think he is better than Gryba, and I don't think the Oilers should make that proposed trade.... BUT I think you're overrating him. If the Oilers were to trade him he likely wouldn't fetch much more than that offer if at all.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I'm a Sens fan in Alberta so I'm forced to watch the Oilers a lot.

Hemsky and Horcoff aren't worth much of anything at this point. They might not be "done" in terms of careers, but they're certainly no better than say, re-signing Latendresse.

I know for certain they're not worth guys like Smith and Greening who are both young, cheap/RFA's, who contribute more than points.
You're entitled to your opinion on Hemsky. I think he still has something left in the tank and would be a great fit in Ottawa. As for Horcoff, he still has something to contribute IMO. He's just worn out his welcome in EDM and a change of scenery would rejuvenate him for a year or two.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
You're entitled to your opinion on Hemsky. I think he still has something left in the tank and would be a great fit in Ottawa. As for Horcoff, he still has something to contribute IMO. He's just worn out his welcome in EDM and a change of scenery would rejuvenate him for a year or two.

Something in the tank? He's 29... unless you mean his injury issues.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky is a potential 200 point line. They may be a tad injury prone but when healthy, watch out.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Something in the tank? He's 29... unless you mean his injury issues.

Yeah, I should have been more clear about that. He's also seemed a bit uninspired as of late. MacT made a rather infamous comment about Hemsky and Horcoff recently, saying that years of playing on a losing team has taken a toll on them mentally and that it would be in their best interests to play somewhere else. I was saying, even long before this rumor, that I think Hemsky could get back to form with the Sens. He's no power forward, but he's not nearly as soft as his reputation on this board. And he can still make plays that only a small percentage of NHL players can. He's still a very talented guy.

WhiteLight*

So what are the chances Weiss signs in Ottawa cheap to play on Turris' LW

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So what are the chances Weiss signs in Ottawa cheap to play on Turris' LW

IMO, he has more value as a center, so we'd be fighting off teams who would be paying him "He's The Only Good UFA Center, And Good Centers Are Hard To Find" money.

Would we be willing to give him "Travis Zajac Money" to play wing? 'Cause he's getting "Zajac-Paid" this summer.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Smith wiercioch 17th for Hemsky 7th

Break down Smith for Hemsky ..Wiercioch 17th for 7th

WhiteLight*

IMO, he has more value as a center, so we'd be fighting off teams who would be paying him "He's The Only Good UFA Center, And Good Centers Are Hard To Find" money.

Would we be willing to give him "Travis Zajac Money" to play wing? 'Cause he's getting "Zajac-Paid" this summer.

zero.

boy wants to be paid.

Maybe, but he also had a very bad season. Maybe cheaper than we think.

I'd rather give him $5M for 1 year than trade for Hemsky

WhiteLight*

Value is there, at least.

disagree. Wiercioch can be a 3/4 guy with size and offense... If the 7th pick turns out that good, it's a decent pick. Adding the 17th? Wiercioch to move up 10 spots? No thanks

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Maybe, but he also had a very bad season. Maybe cheaper than we think.

I'd rather give him $5M for 1 year
than trade for Hemsky

Well, yeah, I'd rather pay him in bottle caps and dreams, but that's about as likely as Weiss accepting a 1 year deal for $5mil, though.

I mean, look at last year:
- Matt Carle got a 6 year, $5.5mil deal. MATT FREAKING CARLE.
- Kuba got $4mil a year on a multi-year deal
- Sami Salo got almost $4mil.
- ... and so on...

and on top of all that, the 2013 UFA class is twice as bad as last year's. The few legit top-6 guys will get significantly overpaid.

I mean, look at the deal Gonchar got: it was probably at least a mil more and a year longer than anyone thought was possible.

UFA's get paid. Weiss is no different.

Ron Jeremy

Cool story bro

Gryba played 20 min a game on a playoff team while Petry is the #3D on one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

I like Petry, and I think he is better than Gryba, and I don't think the Oilers should make that proposed trade.... BUT I think you're overrating him. If the Oilers were to trade him he likely wouldn't fetch much more than that offer if at all.

Hemsky is junk and could be had for a pick if you're dumb enough to want a soft injury prone underachiever on your team.

Why don't we give them Spezza for Horcoff while we're at it?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
disagree. Wiercioch can be a 3/4 guy with size and offense... If the 7th pick turns out that good, it's a decent pick. Adding the 17th? Wiercioch to move up 10 spots? No thanks

I'd normally agree with you, but I think this draft is deep, particularly in the top-7 picks. You can get a guy at #7 that might, in other drafts, be a top-3 guy.

Anyways, if we both agreed on everything, this site would be a lot more boring, I guess. :laugh:

WhiteLight*

Well, yeah, I'd rather pay him in bottle caps and dreams, but that's about as likely as Weiss accepting a 1 year deal for $5mil, though.

I mean, look at last year:
- Matt Carle got a 6 year, $5.5mil deal. MATT FREAKING CARLE.
- Kuba got $4mil a year on a multi-year deal
- Sami Salo got almost $4mil.
- ... and so on...

and on top of all that, the 2013 UFA class is twice as bad as last year's. The few legit top-6 guys will get significantly overpaid.

I mean, look at the deal Gonchar got: it was probably at least a mil more and a year longer than anyone thought was possible.

UFA's get paid. Weiss is no different.

OK

Hemsky is junk and could be had for a pick if you're dumb enough to want a soft injury prone underachiever on your team.

Why don't we give them Spezza for Horcoff while we're at it?

I don't want Hemsky, I wouldn't do Smith for him straight up

I'd normally agree with you, but I think this draft is deep, particularly in the top-7 picks. You can get a guy at #7 that might, in other drafts, be a top-3 guy.

Anyways, if we both agreed on everything, this site would be a lot more boring, I guess. :laugh:

I guess it's deep but I'll go as far as saying that Wiercioch is irreplaceable for the Sens at this point. He and Karlsson are the only guys worthy of PP time and defense and his skill level is sorely needed right now. PMD defensemen who can play the PP are already scarce, he's indispensable

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I guess it's deep but I'll go as far as saying that Wiercioch is irreplaceable for the Sens at this point. He and Karlsson are the only guys worthy of PP time and defense and his skill level is sorely needed right now. PMD defensemen who can play the PP are already scarce, he's indispensable

Irreplaceable for the Sens if we are limiting our search to looking within our own organization for a replacement? Absolutely. There's no one currently in the org who is NHL ready and can bring what he brings.

Irreplaceable in the NHL? Hardly.

WhiteLight*

Irreplaceable for the Sens if we are limiting our search to looking within our own organization for a replacement? Absolutely. There's no one currently in the org who is NHL ready and can bring what he brings.

Irreplaceable in the NHL? Hardly.

Well what's available in free agency? Do we wanna commit $4-5M a year to Zidlicky on a multi year? Absolutely not

Getting a young PMD in a trade means overpaying big time... no thank you. I'll stick with PW

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If people thought that Latendresse/Michalek are injury prone, they need to take a look at Hemsky.

In his 10 seasons in the NHL, he has played 80 games ONCE, and that was 7 years ago. Since then, he's played, 64, 74, 72, 22, 47, 69, and 38 games. For the sake of honesty, I have to admit he fights for the puck, but he's not the same player he used to be. It happens. It's not a shot against Hemsky, it's just a matter of honesty.

Do you really think Edmonton fans would be willing to part with him if there was ANY hope of him returning to form? Yes, he's 29 years old, but he's 29 years old going on 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad