Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLight*

Oilers desperately need defenceman, urgently, WAY more than we do. I have no idea why they'd be shipping out one of the few decent defenceman on their roster. They need 2 more guys on their blueline, not one less.

They also desperately need size and strength... Smith and Greening (and Gryba^) fill that need big time

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
Oilers desperately need defenceman, urgently, WAY more than we do. I have no idea why they'd be shipping out one of the few decent defenceman on their roster. They need 2 more guys on their blueline, not one less.

This is exactly right. Unless we're getting an upgrade on Petry (or Smid), I would be very hesitant to move either.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Personally think the Oilers organization thinks the world of Jeff Petry. He's worth much more than Greening + Smith + Gryba (along with Hemsky), not just as a player, but as a competent top 4 defencemen, of which we have arguably 3.

Berserker*

i dont see us trading ALL our sandpaper. It's one or the other.

It would certainly create a big gap in our lineup. If, by chance, Murray did ship out both Smith and Greening, he very likely would sign or trade for some gritty/tough forwards.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
They also desperately need size and strength... Smith and Greening (and Gryba^) fill that need big time

True, but a deal centered around Hemsky-for-Smith trades from an Oilers strength (offensive wingers) to fill a need (size & strength).

Adding Petry to the deal just means they're filling a hole by creating another.

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
Hey Sens fans, Oiler fan coming in peace :). Petry is definitely a non starter. Him and Smid make up our top pairing and there the only two top 4 defense men on our team not to mention Justin Schultz and Petry are the only two defense men who can move the puck so we can't lose him. But I agree you guys cant afford to move both Smith and Greening. Too much size gone with Toronto and Boston in the division.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Do we really expect Greening to command huge money as a UFA?

I'd imagine he'd get a raise to 1.5-2mil/year as his first contract for 2-3 years.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

They have Klefbom coming in and Gernat too.

Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Justin Schultz ($3.775m)
Nick Schultz ($3.500m) / Corey Potter ($0.775m)
Anton Belov ($1.525m) / Oscar Klefbom ($1.244m)
Martin Gernat ($0.925m)

Granted it is not great, I only care about my team lol

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
No way smith and greening are both going. If it's either it should be hemsky+

Berserker*

We could likely part with Gryba. Gryba played fairly well so far, but Borowiecki and Sdao play a very similar style and both could end up stealing Gryba's roster spot in training camp. In that case, we would be forced to ship out Gryba anyway because he wouldn't clear through waivers.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
They have Klefbom coming in and Gernat too.

Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Justin Schultz ($3.775m)
Nick Schultz ($3.500m) / Corey Potter ($0.775m)
Anton Belov ($1.525m) / Oscar Klefbom ($1.244m)
Martin Gernat ($0.925m)

Granted it is not great, I only care about my team lol

Gernat won't be in the NHL next year. And with a bit of luck, neither will Potter.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
any other UFA options than this for our D spot:

Zidlicky
Leopold (left but can play right)
White

???
Kevin Shattenkirk would be a great fit, but he'd be expensive, both in terms of salary and the assets needed to get him.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I'm a Sens fan in Alberta so I'm forced to watch the Oilers a lot.

Hemsky and Horcoff aren't worth much of anything at this point. They might not be "done" in terms of careers, but they're certainly no better than say, re-signing Latendresse.

I know for certain they're not worth guys like Smith and Greening who are both young, cheap/RFA's, who contribute more than points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad