Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLight*

I don't want to trade Smith for Hemsky. Not at all. But Smith for Hemsky would not be the end of the world or anything. Too many centres vs need for a top 6 winger is what makes this ''acceptable''... still wouldn't do it though

Conacher - Spezza - Alfredsson
Michalek - Turris - Hemsky
Greening - Zibanejad - Silfverberg
Condra - Pageau - Neil
Kassian - O'Brien

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
What about Horcoff, what's his situation?

He's a pretty decent 3C. Can win faceoffs and PK. He makes too much money and probably needs a change of scenery. If you can ignore the contract he can still fill a role.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
What about Horcoff, what's his situation?

He's still a useful player, just nowhere near worth his cap hit. On the plus side, his salary goes down to $4.0M and $3.0M the next two seasons. Despite this, I think the Oilers would have to pick up some of his salary in a trade. He's still a good 3C, and would be good in a lesser role behind Spezza and Turris, but it looks like you have a glut of centres anyway. As well, he played first unit PP last year, and was one of the reasons it was successful. He took a beating in front of the net, to make room for the skill guys. He's also still a valuable PK'er. I think the constant losing has got to him, and it's been rumoured he sold his house here, so it looks like a mutual part between him and the team.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I believe size was a major contributor to the lack of goals, the Sens top six was by in large easy to box out from the areas most rebound goals are scored from.

While a healthy Spezza and Michalek will help, the top six would benefit greatly from a big strong forward.

Paying the price was the issue not size. I saw Pageau and Conacher in front of the net more often than some of our bigger players.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
If Hemsky ends up in Ottawa you guys will be entertained one of the best danglers in the game , fans will love him till injured:sarcasm: But serious really top skills and fun to watch.

CR15

Feb 15, 2010
Windsor
You would say no to Smith for Hemsky?

Not saying I would say no .... we need more skill in the top 6 and PP yes for sure

but adding another perimeter soft player after looking like a complete perimeter team against the Pens is not what I would of expected.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Would want Smith. Smith's awesome.

Hemsky is not soft, persay. He doesn't hit, that's for sure, but he goes to the hard areas. He'll drive the net... Okay, he won't drive the net, but he will take a hit to make a play. Problem is his injury history.

Honestly, if he's healthy, that's a potential 80 points for your team. Wish him the best if he's coming here, and also want Smith.

(dunno if you guys have seen this, my friend linked me to this - shows how much of a crapshoot the draft can actually be - Silly Ottawa Senators! Why move up in the draft! http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Brennan/2008/06/21/5947311-sun.html )

Pablo Aimar

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
but adding another perimeter soft player after looking like a complete perimeter team against the Pens is not what I would of expected.

Hemsky is the exact opposite of a soft perimeter player. That's why he has played like 14 games the last 5 years. Since he is going I'd love to see him on my second team the Sens. Would be a good fit.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
If this rumor is true, I feel pretty confident that Greening would be going to Edmonton. He checks all the right boxes for them - big, fast, and young with tons of character. From Ottawa's perspective he's a good player, but one that is a year away from pricing himself off the team as a UFA.

Don't see Murray moving Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad