Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Streit signs with PHI (4 years, $5.25M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah absolutely! Now here's someone that knows their hockey. I don't know enough about McLeod, if he is a good enough skater, can he play the role Thornton plays in Boston?

McArthur is another one, but he may be costly, but unlike Burmistrov this guy plays with heart and can kill penalties, play center, or wing. I strongly believe the Rangers will employ an up tempo game next year.

McLeod can play the Thornton role and on top of that he can PK. He had 8 goals in this shortened season. Now, I should say, that is not to be expected. He is probably more a 5-8 goal guy with 150 PIM's and who can PK. Good grinder and good skater for his role. Would be an upgrade on Asham for sure.

I would love to replace Pyatt with Nystrom. Speed, great PKer, can play center, will drop the gloves if called upon, very effective forechecker with his speed.

MacArthur is an option. I like Raymond for the same reasons as above except Raymond is another super speedy guy. Would look good with Kreider and Hagelin on the left side.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Disagree. I think you discredit his skill. I think he has a top-6 skillset, especially when you throw in his size and good speed package.

Guy's got solid hands and can rip the puck. He's strong on the boards. Good forechecker. He's a great complimentary player, he works very well with Toews/Kane, helps give them some more room on the ice.

His problem has always been lack of constant motion. He coasts at times. This year, he wasn't coasting, and he was an extremely effective player. Sometimes players just figure it out later in their careers, especially larger players.

I do t buy it. He isn't a great skater. He doesn't have great hands and he was on pace for ~40 points while playing with superstar players.

If he gets 4 years @3.5 million which I think is below what he will get, would you sign him?

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
We are on the same page, but those players just aren't available in the UFA market this year. Bickell, Clarkson, Clowe, Horton. In a normal year they would be a solid 2nd to 3rd tier. This year they are the cream of the crop.

They will all get 4+ years and get paid too much. Some team will fall in love with their size and some okay stats.

Clarkson is an average 3rd liner at even strength. Good PP player who stood in front of Kovalchuks shots for a couple of years.

Bickell has no pressure on him whatsoever. Teams gameplay to stop Kane, Toews, Sharp and Hossa. He is an afterthought of an afterthought on that team. Anyone hoping for him to help carry a teams offense, which they will have to with the contract he will get, is going to be in trouble.

Clowe has injury concerns.

Horton has injury concerns.

I prefer a Nystrom and a Raymond on shorter length deals and a possible trade for a McLeod. Can't overpay for under performers with this new cap.

Stress has to be put on skating in order for this team to be effective. Bottom 6 players have to be multi faceted. PK, face offs, PP, very effective forechecker, glove dropper.

Listen, I love the big guys...I will never deny that and as I watch these 2 teams go to war with each other I will never change my beliefs...however, I am not looking for one dimensional players...to me, Powe is one dimensional and needs to go...if you can upgrade from Pyatt, you do it...although, I think he was one of our better forwards in the playoffs.

I like Dorsett because he can play and cares so much. I want another one of him...just bigger, I would love a Thornton type and when he was let go by Ducks, I said I wanted him and everyone called me a goon lover. I want a Lucic type. I would also love a Kane or Toews type...I know you need balance. I didn't want Richards but I know why we took a chance on him but I knew he was the wrong guy.

Our bottom six and at least 2 dmen need to have size and snarl.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I do t buy it. He isn't a great skater. He doesn't have great hands and he was on pace for ~40 points while playing with superstar players.

If he gets 4 years @3.5 million which I think is below what he will get, would you sign him?

He's a very good skater for someone who's 6'5. He has good hands, not great, but they're better than the average player's.

He was with Stalberg and Shaw most of the season. He was moved up in the playoffs when Saad struggled.

I don't want Bickell, I just think you're far too harsh wrt his future in the league. I think he's a 45-55 point player who can forecheck with the best of him in the right situation.

KreidertheGlider

MDZ for NYR Blueline
May 31, 2012
Rochester, NY
McLeod can play the Thornton role and on top of that he can PK. He had 8 goals in this shortened season. Now, I should say, that is not to be expected. He is probably more a 5-8 goal guy with 150 PIM's and who can PK. Good grinder and good skater for his role. Would be an upgrade on Asham for sure.

I would love to replace Pyatt with Nystrom. Speed, great PKer, can play center, will drop the gloves if called upon, very effective forechecker with his speed.

MacArthur is an option. I like Raymond for the same reasons as above except Raymond is another super speedy guy. Would look good with Kreider and Hagelin on the left side.

I like MacArthur and I think we could get him for cheap.

Nystrom would be a great signing IMO. Great PKer. We need less idle, 1 dimensional 4th liners.

I like McLeod depending on the price. He can drop the gloves to stand up for his mates.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I don't see how they can without trading a first or second next year.

Other than that, to do this the only trade options would be

Staal-His value is at an all-time low though.

Boyle-MIGHT get you a late 2nd rounder at most.

Del Z-A second rounder and MAYBE a late first rounder at most.

No one else is getting traded will get you anything that high.

Boyle was acquired for a third as a reclamation project. He could get a high 2nd rounder or 2nd+3rd.

Del Zotto can get you an earlyish first round pick. He was a mid first rounder and he has made the NHL and done very well for a young defenseman. A late first rounder probably won't even be a scrub in the NHL.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Can they use their amnesty on Pronger? That would give them quite a bit of cap space

I don't think you can amnesty buyout injured plays. On the other hand, Pronged is on LTIR I believe, so his contract doesn't count against the cap anyway.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Listen, I love the big guys...I will never deny that and as I watch these 2 teams go to war with each other I will never change my beliefs...however, I am not looking for one dimensional players...to me, Powe is one dimensional and needs to go...if you can upgrade from Pyatt, you do it...although, I think he was one of our better forwards in the playoffs.

I like Dorsett because he can play and cares so much. I want another one of him...just bigger, I would love a Thornton type and when he was let go by Ducks, I said I wanted him and everyone called me a goon lover. I want a Lucic type. I would also love a Kane or Toews type...I know you need balance. I didn't want Richards but I know why we took a chance on him but I knew he was the wrong guy.

Our bottom six and at least 2 dmen need to have size and snarl.

I loved Dorsett in Columbus so you are preaching to the choir here.

I agree with Pyatt and Powe. Go get Nystrom who is feisty and a Cambell like player and McLeod to be this teams Thornton and I think they are in good shape. Dorsett on the 3rd line.

McIlrath will help soon. I would love a Matt Greene but they are just so hard to find. I think a new system and hopefully a healthy Staal and less minutes for Girardi and McDongh allows the defense as a whole to be more aggressive. They all skate well enough to step up.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He's a very good skater for someone who's 6'5. He has good hands, not great, but they're better than the average player's.

He was with Stalberg and Shaw most of the season. He was moved up in the playoffs when Saad struggled.

I don't want Bickell, I just think you're far too harsh wrt his future in the league. I think he's a 45-55 point player who can forecheck with the best of him in the right situation.

Bickell is not a better skater than Boyle who people complain about.

He has never come close to 45 or 55 points in his career.

Look, it's possible he breaks out, but there will be teams paying him like he has already scored 55. Not a good route to take with a UFA. Don't expect them to get better with a move. It normally works the other way around.

KreidertheGlider

MDZ for NYR Blueline
May 31, 2012
Rochester, NY

I agree with Pyatt and Powe. Go get Nystrom who is feisty and a Cambell like player and McLeod to be this teams Thornton and I think they are in good shape. Dorsett on the 3rd line.

McIlrath will help soon. I would love a Matt Greene but they are just so hard to find. I think a new system and hopefully a healthy Staal and less minutes for Girardi and McDongh allows the defense as a whole to be more aggressive. They all skate well enough to step up.

I like that we are trying to improve but I don't think we can out-Bruin the Bruins.

We need to be better than them at 1 facet whether that's speed toughness finesse what ever. But we can't try to mimic them.

The original is always better

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I like MacArthur and I think we could get him for cheap.

Nystrom would be a great signing IMO. Great PKer. We need less idle, 1 dimensional 4th liners.

I like McLeod depending on the price. He can drop the gloves to stand up for his mates.

Yep, 100% agree.

4th line should be McLeod, Nystrom, Boyle.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Bickell is not a better skater than Boyle who people complain about.

He has never come close to 45 or 55 points in his career.

Look, it's possible he breaks out, but there will be teams paying him like he has already scored 55. Not a good route to take with a UFA. Don't expect them to get better with a move. It normally works the other way around.

Agree to disagree.

That being said, how about a bet? :naughty:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Boyle was acquired for a third as a reclamation project. He could get a high 2nd rounder or 2nd+3rd.

Del Zotto can get you an earlyish first round pick. He was a mid first rounder and he has made the NHL and done very well for a young defenseman. A late first rounder probably won't even be a scrub in the NHL.

I think Boyle would easily return a late 1st from a contender for a full season.

KreidertheGlider

MDZ for NYR Blueline
May 31, 2012
Rochester, NY

Our defense is one thing that needs to be utilized a lot more in the future. They can all join the rush most break up the 2v1s fairly easily, let them take some more chances

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I like that we are trying to improve but I don't think we can out-Bruin the Bruins.

We need to be better than them at 1 facet whether that's speed toughness finesse what ever. But we can't try to mimic them.

The original is always better

I think the Rangers defense will be much better in the coming years.

I'm not advocating trying to out tough the Bruins, although they will start to lose that this offseason with the loss of Horton and Ference, but they need to be tough to play against and be able to handle that side of the game.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
What's the bet? If Bickell signs elsewhere, he will not score 55?

Trying to think about how to quantify it.

If Bickell scores 45 points or more on a team that isn't Chicago next season, you sport a username for the entirety of the offseason. Ditto for me if I'm wrong.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That 4th line could compete with the best. Not the most offensive, but can hold their own defensively and draw penalties.

I hope we run more than 9 forwards next year

Surprisingly, that 4th line would be capable of 10 goals a piece over a full season pretty easily.

All PK. All can drop the gloves, some more than others. All can sub in the top 9 if need be.

Boyle and Nysteom play 2 positions. RW/C and LW/C respectively.

KreidertheGlider

MDZ for NYR Blueline
May 31, 2012
Rochester, NY
I think the Rangers defense will be much better in the coming years.

I'm not advocating trying to out tough the Bruins, although they will start to lose that this offseason with the loss of Horton and Ference, but they need to be tough to play against and be able to handle that side of the game.

I think their defense will be a lot better in the future. I have been so impressed with Krug and Hamilton.

Well still be better defensively but they'll be close.

I didn't realize Ference was a UFA. He will be overpaid too.

KreidertheGlider

MDZ for NYR Blueline
May 31, 2012
Rochester, NY
Surprisingly, that 4th line would be capable of 10 goals a piece over a full season pretty easily.

All PK. All can drop the gloves, some more than others. All can sub in the top 9 if need be.

Boyle and Nysteom play 2 positions. RW/C and LW/C respectively.

I think McLeod has played center too. I didn't realize he PKed though... Now I really want him

SupersonicMonkey*

Yep, 100% agree.

4th line should be McLeod, Nystrom, Boyle.

Trade Asham and Pyatt. Haley used as a spare forward. Dorsett, McLeod, Nystrom rotate on the 4th line.

Trade Del Zotto for a young center (Schenn, Couturier, Burmistrov) or young left winger (Paajarvi, Eberle).

Buyout Richards.

Sign McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin.

Sign a veteran defenseman, unless we get back a defenseman in the Del Zotto deal (Paajarvi, Petry-RHD).

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
McIlrath is our Matt Greene mixed in with a career 90 plus winning percentage in career fights. I think once Dylan piles up 100 AHL games, he should be ready to play. Remember he is still growing, and maturing physically, and having him Dorsett, and a McLeod type takes care of business just fine.

Powe can PK and play a checking role and I don't mind him in a 4th line role as he is pretty consistent, while Pyatt and Asham are even more one dimensional as they don't fill roles.

If Pyatt can play the way he did in the playoffs, why didn't he do that for 40+ games? Effort and consistency, and no special teams contributions = goner.

Asham did not step up do his job, and I move him as it's an addition by subtraction.

I'm eager to see what happens with Clowe, but I get the feeling the Rangers will not commit to multi-year terms on Clowe. But a guy like Clarke MacArthur is not a 3M+ player as he had one fluke year on a bad team, and cashed in due to set precedents.

It should be a really interesting off season, especially with trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad