Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Streit signs with PHI (4 years, $5.25M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What are you basing this on? He was an effective player in the regular season, and his combo of size/speed is valuable when the intensity notches up in the playoffs.

I feel like you're saying this simply because he's slightly overachieved and he's going to fail because Pisani/Ward/etc failed to follow-up their great post-season runs. They're different players.

Because:

a) players consistently get overpaid for their extra efforts in the prior playoffs
b) the UFA market sucks
c) he isn't that skilled nor that good defensively

He would be an effective bottom 6 player for most teams but he is a tweener top 6er at best. Expect him to play top 6 and help carry the offense? Fail.

I just have seen this story play out before, I hope the Rangers stay away.

KreidertheGlider

MDZ for NYR Blueline
May 31, 2012
Rochester, NY
Because:

a) players consistently get overpaid for their extra efforts in the prior playoffs
b) the UFA market sucks

He would be an effective bottom 6 player for most teams but he is a tweener top 6er at best. Expect him to play top 6 and help carry the offense? Fail.

If we're willing to overpay for Bickell, I would rather sign Horton.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
2010–11 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 78 17 20 37 40
2011–12 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 71 9 15 24 48
2012–13 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 48 9 14 23 25

If you can get him for 3 years 10 million you do it....

if this was a full season...he would have 18 goals 28 assist and solid defense.

He is 27, 6'3 230...why in the world would we want that...Let's trade assets for Alex Burmistov who had 10 points this year and his best has been 28 points...he is 6'1 180 string bean...makes sense if we want to continue to be a middle of the road team that everyone loves on this board.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
2010–11 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 78 17 20 37 40
2011–12 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 71 9 15 24 48
2012–13 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 48 9 14 23 25

If you can get him for 3 years 10 million you do it....

if this was a full season...he would have 18 goals 28 assist and solid defense.

He is 27, 6'3 230...why in the world would we want that...Let's trade assets for Alex Burmistov who had 10 points this year and his best has been 28 points...he is 6'1 180 string bean...makes sense if we want to continue to be a middle of the road team that everyone loves on this board.

Wait is this serious? I know you like your tough guys but you do realize I do too. Stop trying to preach your rhetoric and look at the player.

Would you give Hagelin that contract? Similar stats except Hagelin got no PP time.

Your just saying to sign him because you think he fits what you want and he is available. Why not look for the right players and not just every player?

He will get more than 3 years and 10 million.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Rangers should look at the 2nd tier of players for a LW. Nystrom, Raymond, Stalberg. All can fly.

Look to see who is available via trade. McLeod?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I agree I'm just picking the lesser of two evils.

I'd like more of an under the radar signing like MacArthur. He's got a knack for scoring and he isn't small. Good 2nd liner to go after for cheap

Agreed with the under the radar signing this year. I also think the trade market will be quite full this year.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
Wait is this serious? I know you like your tough guys but you do realize I do too. Stop trying to preach your rhetoric and look at the player.

Would you give Hagelin that contract? Similar stats except Hagelin got no PP time.

Your just saying to sign him because you think he fits what you want and he is available. Why not look for the right players and not just every player?

He will get more than 3 years and 10 million.

I am looking @ the player...his best years are the years his team is in the finals...he has upped his effort in the playoffs...who wouldn't want that...he has skill and is big...2 things we need.

I think he is the right player...you might not agree and that is ok...everyone is entitled...but I see 2 highly skilled, highly abrasive teams in the finals...we have some skill and very little abrasiveness. I think going after Vinny or Briere and the like would be a huge mistake.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Bickel will at least get Joel Ward money. There are precedents set, and it is what sets market value. When a team overpays, new precedents are set (one of the reasons why the Vanek contract was such a big deal, as it eliminated the second contract).

Most agents have a legal background, and so do some GMs, so it isn't an uncommon practice to see players get similar contracts based on what others received. A player like Bickel will have plenty of suitors, and this is where precedents gets broken, as Joel Ward money will be the low end for him, and then you have the bidding war. Signing Bonuses, contract structure, and no move, no trade clauses are used to sweeten the deals alongside money.

Now if the Rangers could replace Pyatt and Asham with size, grit, actual toughness, and penalty killers, you have a team that jumps into the 4-5 slot in the East without question. Shore up the PP with a solid PK, then you might have a division winner. The Rangers don't need a rebuild, but just to tweak role players, and shore up the special teams.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
I would have liked Streit for a couple of years. Not 4 which is what he wants. Hope he signs in Philly, let them deal with that contract.

I think Streit would suck on the Rangers...my opinion but we are soft on D to begin and you want to bring in a declining 35 year...maybe that is my rhetoric again but we need to steer clear of these moves.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The Rangers should look at the 2nd tier of players for a LW. Nystrom, Raymond, Stalberg. All can fly.

Look to see who is available via trade. McLeod?

Yeah absolutely! Now here's someone that knows their hockey. I don't know enough about McLeod, if he is a good enough skater, can he play the role Thornton plays in Boston?

McArthur is another one, but he may be costly, but unlike Burmistrov this guy plays with heart and can kill penalties, play center, or wing. I strongly believe the Rangers will employ an up tempo game next year.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Because:

b) the UFA market sucks

Disagree. I think you discredit his skill. I think he has a top-6 skillset, especially when you throw in his size and good speed package.

Guy's got solid hands and can rip the puck. He's strong on the boards. Good forechecker. He's a great complimentary player, he works very well with Toews/Kane, helps give them some more room on the ice.

His problem has always been lack of constant motion. He coasts at times. This year, he wasn't coasting, and he was an extremely effective player. Sometimes players just figure it out later in their careers, especially larger players.

KreidertheGlider

MDZ for NYR Blueline
May 31, 2012
Rochester, NY
I think Streit would suck on the Rangers...my opinion but we are soft on D to begin and you want to bring in a declining 35 year...maybe that is my rhetoric again but we need to steer clear of these moves.

First thing we agree on. Streit needs sheltered 3rd pairing minutes with lots of PP time. Without that he will be exposed.

I don't think I would mind Vinny for $4 mil or less for 3 years or less but I doubt he takes that

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I am looking @ the player...his best years are the years his team is in the finals...he has upped his effort in the playoffs...who wouldn't want that...he has skill and is big...2 things we need.

I think he is the right player...you might not agree and that is ok...everyone is entitled...but I see 2 highly skilled, highly abrasive teams in the finals...we have some skill and very little abrasiveness. I think going after Vinny or Briere and the like would be a huge mistake.

We are on the same page, but those players just aren't available in the UFA market this year. Bickell, Clarkson, Clowe, Horton. In a normal year they would be a solid 2nd to 3rd tier. This year they are the cream of the crop.

They will all get 4+ years and get paid too much. Some team will fall in love with their size and some okay stats.

Clarkson is an average 3rd liner at even strength. Good PP player who stood in front of Kovalchuks shots for a couple of years.

Bickell has no pressure on him whatsoever. Teams gameplay to stop Kane, Toews, Sharp and Hossa. He is an afterthought of an afterthought on that team. Anyone hoping for him to help carry a teams offense, which they will have to with the contract he will get, is going to be in trouble.

Clowe has injury concerns.

Horton has injury concerns.

I prefer a Nystrom and a Raymond on shorter length deals and a possible trade for a McLeod. Can't overpay for under performers with this new cap.

Stress has to be put on skating in order for this team to be effective. Bottom 6 players have to be multi faceted. PK, face offs, PP, very effective forechecker, glove dropper.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I would have liked Streit short term IF MDZ was moved. He would've helped the PP quite a bit but I agree, they need more physical presence on the backend.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Can they use their amnesty on Pronger? That would give them quite a bit of cap space

I think the rumors are they will amnesty Bryzgalov and Briere. Pronger is injured so no buyout possible. Still not a good reason to sign a 35 year old player whose game stresses mobility to a 4 year deal at around 4.5 million per season.

KreidertheGlider

MDZ for NYR Blueline
May 31, 2012
Rochester, NY
I think the rumors are they will amnesty Bryzgalov and Briere. Pronger is injured so no buyout possible. Still not a good reason to sign a 35 year old player whose game stresses mobility to a 4 year deal at around 4.5 million per season.

Who do you think signs Bryz? And thanks for the answer about the amnesty buyout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad