Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread Part IV: Streit's rights to PHI for 2014 4th Rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They are, but you usually have to pay big for them. Hodgson was the Nucks top prospect at the time. Simmonds was a big piece of the Richards trade.

Like I said, I'm a proponent of having that kind of player, but I don't believe in scraping the bottom of the barrel for one.

If that's the route the team wants to go, then they need to either change their style of play OR really build up their bottom-6 with guys more than willing to do the dirty work. Even adding another couple of players like Dorsett or Prust would go a long way towards fixing the issue I'm talking about. McLeod would be a good idea. :nod:

Asham is too slow. If you are going to allot a couple of roster spots for guys who can drop the gloves, make sure they can skate and can provide other things in the process. McLeod can PK. Dorsett can PK. Both hit and can score as well. Nystrom is a VERY good PKer and effective forechecker who can score as well.

Those types of guys need to fill out the bottom-6 if they want go with a mainly all-skill top-6.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
there is a reason players like Andrew Shaw and Brandson Saad who drafted a few years after Beach already made the NHL.. Beach didnt play in 1 NHL game as of now. looks like a Hugh Jessiman type bust of a draft pick :help: rather trade for Mark McNeill or someone with potential.. Beach seems like a headcase... a bigger version of Avery and not that skilled.

I don't evaluate players based on what other players are doing. He's absolutely a bit of a headcase, and that's one of the reasons I'd be interested in him. I think this team needs more of those players who toe the line and sometimes step over it.

I don't care about his draft position (Yet how many times have you advocated us picking up former 1st round picks?). Steve Bernier was a top pick from 2003 but never made it as a top-six player. However, he's been very effective as a bottom-six player for the Devils. With Beach, I'd be looking for a 3rd line guy who can possibly step up if he finds that next step in his development.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Just curious,

All of the Burmistrov talk, without scouring pages of posts, has Winnipeg came out publicly that he's available, or is this like me wanting to trade for Stamkos?

Punxrocknyc19*

I don't evaluate players based on what other players are doing. He's absolutely a bit of a headcase, and that's one of the reasons I'd be interested in him. I think this team needs more of those players who toe the line and sometimes step over it.

I don't care about his draft position (Yet how many times have you advocated us picking up former 1st round picks?). Steve Bernier was a top pick from 2003 but never made it as a top-six player. However, he's been very effective as a bottom-six player for the Devils. With Beach, I'd be looking for a 3rd line guy who can possibly step up if he finds that next step in his development.

Bernier was still able to make the Sharks as a 3rd line and at least played some games in the NHL.. If Beach had any type of talent, im sure the Blackhawks would have played him in 1 game by now.. 5 years after drafted and still no games in the NHL is not a good sign.. its not like he was playing in europe or college... id take a chance with Beach so maybe a new team could help but I wouldnt offer more than Taylor Pyatt at this point.... he seems to have the BUST label on him.. 26 pts 16 goals in 66 games with 200 PIM this year in the AHL....

Kyle Beach along with Daultan Leveille from Thrashers/Jets,
Anton Gustafsson from Capitals, Chet Pickard from Predators are the only other 1st round picks from 2008 to have not played in 1 NHL game... Gustafsson is stiill in sweden and who knows if he will ever come over....

marciiauzii

Nov 15, 2012
Latvia
Centerdepth-chart:
Stepan
Brassard
Burmistrov
Lindberg

Imagine if all those 4 centers develop really well! They could really become the core of a great puck-possesion team.

And all of them isnt even 6,2 in height. ah. need bigger centers.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
would like to see MDZ dangled as part of a package for J.Thornton he might be slowing but a 20 goal 6'4/222 lb power center that leads the league (in 2011) in takeaways is pretty nice to give more breathing room for Brassard+stepan+JT Miller who should be kept as a pivot.

lines I'd like to see---

Nash--J.Thornton-Callahan

Kreider-Stepan-Artukhin(remember him)?

Clowe--Brassard-Dorsett

Haley-J.T.Miller-Boyle

I don't expect huge things from JThornton but he has a nice combo of strength and it being a contract year so he'll motivated to win big(think cup).

Faceoffs, playmaking and the necessary point per game ability that's been missing when stepan isn't on the ice.

on Defense

McD---Gryba(get him for Mashinter_+Pyatt)

Staal--Gilroy(speed!!!!_)

Moore--Girardi(potential all star duo

Eminger-stralman(spares

Crack kills, children.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Bernier was still able to make the Sharks as a 3rd line and at least played some games in the NHL.. If Beach had any type of talent, im sure the Blackhawks would have played him in 1 game by now.. 5 years after drafted and still no games in the NHL is not a good sign.. its not like he was playing in europe or college... id take a chance with Beach so maybe a new team could help but I wouldnt offer more than Taylor Pyatt at this point.... he seems to have the BUST label on him.. 26 pts 16 goals in 66 games with 200 PIM this year in the AHL....

Kyle Beach along with Daultan Leveille from Thrashers/Jets,
Anton Gustafsson from Capitals, Chet Pickard from Predators are the only other 1st round picks from 2008 to have not played in 1 NHL game... Gustafsson is stiill in sweden and who knows if he will ever come over....

Might help to add some context to that "5 years after being drafted" bit. Such as the fact he missed nearly an entire season with a shoulder injury.

Again, I'm not really concerned with what the Hawks are or aren't doing with him. A kid had a major injury and was passed over by several other prospects. It happens. I'd be willing to give him a change of scenery and a shot at a lineup that really could use a guy who can scrap and score. Even if the latter is only in a limited capacity.

You can keep calling him a bust all you like, Jorts. I'm not talking about sending Del Zotto for him, and then asking him to step into a 1st line role. I want him as a guy who can play on the 4th line. I'm not sure why you're harping on his bust status so much.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
The team that bounced us in 5 games and swept the best team in the east don't seem to have an issue with guy's under 6'2 down the middle.

Because their center play a complete, two-way, physical game. Comparatively, Nik Antropov does **** all despite being 8 feet tall. Size in itself is worthless if you're not utilizing it. Give me four Krejci's over four Antropov's every day.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Might help to add some context to that "5 years after being drafted" bit. Such as the fact he missed nearly an entire season with a shoulder injury.

Again, I'm not really concerned with what the Hawks are or aren't doing with him. A kid had a major injury and was passed over by several other prospects. It happens. I'd be willing to give him a change of scenery and a shot at a lineup that really could use a guy who can scrap and score. Even if the latter is only in a limited capacity.

You can keep calling him a bust all you like, Jorts. I'm not talking about sending Del Zotto for him, and then asking him to step into a 1st line role. I want him as a guy who can play on the 4th line. I'm not sure why you're harping on his bust status so much.

The last time the Rangers grabbed a player like that is was Boyle. If they see what you, and honestly I, see in Beach, I would be okay grabbing him for another prospect or late pick.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Because their center play a complete, two-way, physical game. Comparatively, Nik Antropov does **** all despite being 8 feet tall. Size in itself is worthless if you're not utilizing it. Give me four Krejci's over four Antropov's every day.

Bergeron
Kreijci
Kelly
Paille

None of their centers are overly physical. They aren't soft by any means but they aren't guys who will run you over. They leave that to their wingers.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
Bergeron
Kreijci
Kelly
Paille

None of their centers are overly physical. They aren't soft by any means but they aren't guys who will run you over. They leave that to their wingers.

Right, I didn't mean they were Gordie Howe but they're not going to let their size dictate how they play. All of those guys are going to fight for loose pucks, work the cycle, go into the corners, etc. Meanwhile an Antropov, despite his large frame, really isn't. This isn't basketball, where size is intrinsically related to your ability to play certain roles. Ryan Callahan plays "bigger" than just about anyone on the ice despite being 5'11, Marek Malik shies away from pillow fights despite being a ****ing tree. It's all relative.

SupersonicMonkey*

Flyers won't trade him within the division though.

Would Philadelphia trade with the Rangers? And if they would, wouldn't you think they would rather move Couturier?

With how big the new divisions will be, i don't think this will be as much of an issue moving forward.

Eliminate 7 teams?

Rangers and Flyers have hooked up in the past. They have a glaring need. Rangers can supply them a solution to that need. And as with anything, you have to give to get. If they want Del Zotto, they should be prepared to deal Schenn.

If Burmistrov, a player who has not yet proven anything at the NHL level, is demanding a trade out of Winnepeg, the return value drops considerably.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
With those centers though, I would definitely think size on the wings should be a priority. Makes sense to build that way though because centers who are 6-3 and can carry the puck are perhaps the rarest commodity in the league and get drafted top-5 if not top-3. Barring a non-typical development curve (Backes, Kesler, etc).

Yeah, exactly, and the thing is, if you have skill at center ice you can have size on the wings. Look at the Bruins.

Its perfectly possible that a Bickel from Chicago (or the big wingers LA have) goes Pyatt on us if we plug them on last years team.

And this is a big reason for why big wingers often are moved. How noteworthy were Simmonds for LA, Horton for FLA and so forth? Look at Ryan Malone going from Pittsburgh to Tampa. On how Penner looked for Ana as opposed to EDM. They need help to get involved.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i liked burmistrov in his draft year. he shows great understanding of the game and plays well in all 3 zones. he shows a "mature" hockey iq. hes a responsible centerman.

his skating is high end. hes creative and dangerous on the pk. hes got great energy and shows a willingness to engage physically.

he is not a high end goal scorer however. hes a creater and a passer first. he works well down low for a guy whos not "big". he works well in close spaces.

if i plug him into say beavers minutes or playing along side a guy like chris krieder or rick nash, i get excited. he can create time and space for our bigger wingers.

we lack offense. we lack skill. we lack speed down the middle. burmistrov can create offense and address many concerns. time for this team to get more skilled.

hes but a part to our top 9 getting alot more skilled. he would make our pk better and more dangerous and he can play top 6 minutes. i like him. you gotta kick the tires atleast.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Seems like a few Winnipeg fans are on board with a deal around MDZ and a pick for Burmistrov and Postma. Interesting framework with a lot of upside.

Of course there's always the option that the Rangers could acquire Burmistrov and then trade him for a scoring winger. St Louis wants a center with some offense, maybe they'd bite.

SupersonicMonkey*

i liked burmistrov in his draft year. he shows great understanding of the game and plays well in all 3 zones. he shows a "mature" hockey iq. hes a responsible centerman.

his skating is high end. hes creative and dangerous on the pk. hes got great energy and shows a willingness to engage physically.

he is not a high end goal scorer however. hes a creater and a passer first. he works well down low for a guy whos not "big". he works well in close spaces.

if i plug him into say beavers minutes or playing along side a guy like chris krieder or rick nash, i get excited. he can create time and space for our bigger wingers.

we lack offense. we lack skill. we lack speed down the middle. burmistrov can create offense and address many concerns. time for this team to get more skilled.

hes but a part to our top 9 getting alot more skilled. he would make our pk better and more dangerous and he can play top 6 minutes. i like him. you gotta kick the tires atleast.

You were all over Burmistrov during that draft. He's a fine player. Personally i just prefer Schenn.

I'd be happy with either. But with Burmistrov supposedly wanting out of WInnepeg, we shouldn't overpay for him. That decreases his trade value for WInnepeg.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Seems like a few Winnipeg fans are on board with a deal around MDZ and a pick for Burmistrov and Postma. Interesting framework with a lot of upside.

Of course there's always the option that the Rangers could acquire Burmistrov and then trade him for a scoring winger. St Louis wants a center with some offense, maybe they'd bite.

The question is, what round draft pick are they kosher with? I would be thrilled with that trade, and I still think Del Zotto will become a very nice defensemen, just not in NYC. Although, I'm hesitant to move him (cause I'm the GM), without seeing how he does with a new coach.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The team that bounced us in 5 games and swept the best team in the east don't seem to have an issue with guy's under 6'2 down the middle.

agreed.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Rangers have timid puppies.

Rangers NEED some mangy aggressive puck hounds.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if you can upgrade your center position with a young, creative, smart player who would address some needs for us, you have to atleast explore it.

torts would never have another russian kid on his roster. hes gone finally and so now atleast its open for discussion.

alex isnt going to be a high end goal scorer. in fact, he may never reach 20, but he can create plenty and he can forecheck/backcheck/and create turnovers and that makes a huge contribution. hes always a threat on the pk as well.

having stepan and burmistrov playing top 6 minutes gives us 2 very smart centerman who may lack size but both find ways to get on the scoresheet.

hes not your typical one dimensional russian kid. even in juniors, he was known to be very responsible defensively and a ferocious forechecker.

i would look to acquire him in an mdz deal and then make every effort to find/acquire that right handed skating offensive dman we so desperately need.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The question is, what round draft pick are they kosher with? I would be thrilled with that trade, and I still think Del Zotto will become a very nice defensemen, just not in NYC.

Varies between a 2nd and 3rd. I'm not 100% sold on Postma. I see a lot of similarities between him and Bobby Sanguinetti. It'd be nice to get another pro-ready body back, but I'd probably ask for the 11th overall and Burmistrov as a starting point and work from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad