Speculation: 2013 Off-Season Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Similar thing with the D pairing Scandella Ballard is more defensive minded so they would match against the secondary scoring while Stoner Spirgeon gets limited ES minutes, although that doesn't make sense with Spurgeons contract.

Gotta play them where they benefit you. Jared knows that too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Similar thing with the D pairing Scandella Ballard is more defensive minded so they would match against the secondary scoring while Stoner Spirgeon gets limited ES minutes, although that doesn't make sense with Spurgeons contract.

Pretty sure Spurgeon would likely get extra shifts with Scandella to get the icetime he deserves, plus he'll likely be on the top pp as well.

Tommyj214

Jul 7, 2010
One point I'd like to make is that I'm more upset Fletcher didn't improve the team than make the moves he did.

Resigning Spurgeon is a wash that cost money
Clutter for Cooke is a wash that cost money
Gilbert for Ballard is a downgrade that saved money
Setoguchi for Niño is likely a downgrade first year that is a financial wash

The only way we win on any of these moves is if Niño has a massive year with 25+ goals. Otherwise there isn't a single upgrade to this roster from last year, which of course was a fringe team.

Did anyone else not named Chicago get worse in the offseason?

Fletcher's offseason can't be anything but a disappointment.

Jarrick I can’t agree entirely with your point of view with the moves, and here is why I think that:

Spurgeon needed to be resigned, and what the wild paid him is what I think he deserves. He’s been one of the better Dman for the wild the last 3 years, and he’s been the most consistent.

Clutter for Cooke, Cooke isn’t the goon he used to be and proved that in Pittsburgh, I think he's going to be a great addition for the wild. Especially on the PK; also, I think the $$ wild paid him is perfect for the role he will play. Cooke will be the player that everyone wanted clutter to be. Everyone wants more from cutter, but it will never happen; with Cooke wild know what they are getting for their money.

I can’t say much for Ballard, I don’t think he’s a direct replacement for Gilbert, but heck at $1.5m, great deal!

Nino replacing Seto I don’t think is a wash. Seto was inconsistent, and cost $3m per. Nino gets a fresh start, had similar numbers to Seto in Jr, and he costs less. Nino is 6 years younger and has more time to develop, Seto is past development. Both Seto and Nino’s contracts end after this season, so there is no risk.

Overall, I think Fletcher improved the team in some areas, but IMO a true top 4 defenseman was needed more than anything, granted money is the issue. I know most all of those moves were to get under the cap, and the wild I think are in slightly better shape with what they had to work with, and CF did a great job with that.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Dave Lozo on the Wild

The optics of dealing Devin Setoguchi for a pick are bad, but if that means more minutes for Charlie Coyle or Mikael Granlund, what’s wrong with that? With the cap coming down, this is what has to be done.

Cooke is a bargain as a Cal Clutterbuck replacement. If losing Matt Cullen bothers you, it shouldn’t. The Wild aren’t any worse off now than they were at the end of the season. Heck, they may be even better.

We...weren't ripped by a (quasi) national hockey writer!

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
reminder cooke aka thug just threw a questionable hit on an ottawa player in the most recent playoffs. (anyone feel free to post that link). imo clutterbuck was a clean hitter. did big buck have an off year? yes but if every hockey player got canned after one bad year the nhl would be a ghost town of unfamiliar names. losing matt cullen doesnt bother me, what bothers me is we could have traded him for something & i just assumed he wanted to stay here at a reduced price was the reason we didnt. long term playing the young guys is fine, but next season making the playoffs is very doubtfull.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
part 2 assuming heatley stays on the 3rd line due to lack of speed , 3 of our top six players are basically newbies. thats 50%! maybe somebody will shine but asking them to equal last years experienced 2nd lines production is crazy. do STH want to pay top $ too watch another year the wild miss the playoffs?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I'm sorry, but it took me reading that a few times to understand the point you were trying to make. Grammar man, grammar.

Playing rookies doesn't mean they will automatically fail. With every passing year they should, in theory, get better and better. Last year they got a taste of the NHL, some more than others. They know what is in store for them this year. I think a majority of them will play better than last year, but it is inevitable for someone to regress. Luckily, we have others than should be able to fill in.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
auto fail? depends on your definition. if our 2nd line scoring drops then i say fail. coyle is probably the most likely to improve , but asking any of the young guys to step up & score 20G to replace seto's loss is really just a hope & a prayer. man i want everybody in a wild uniform to succeed (except cooke). i'll stop for today. cheers

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I had no idea Bryz was bought out till now...

I wouldn't mind giving him a 1 year deal, but now that we re upped Backstrom it wouldn't work.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I would've much rather gone after Bryzgalov than re-sign Backstrom, if it was my choice...

Not me....Backstrom is much more steady. And I'm not even the biggest Backstrom fan.

I'd be surprised if any team signs Bryzgalov to be their starter...in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he signs in the KHL.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Cooke is much better at puck possession than Clutterbuck, which should make our 3rd line more effective, both defensively and offensively.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
How much of that is entirely based on the complete storm of **** that is the Philly media? I would argue most, if not all of it.

He wasn't a headcase in Anaheim OR Phoenix. He just got put into a situation he couldn't win in Philly.

He was a bit of a headcase in Anaheim and Phoenix.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Bryz appears to be a head case regardless of his employment status or location.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Sounds like Buffalo is trying to move Vanek and Miller this summer yet...

Wondering if they might be interested in the following:

Heatley (for cap purposes) + Zucker + 2014 2nd round pick (from Winnipeg)

for

Vanek

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed

for

Vanek

NO, we've already squandered enough draft picks and prospects for immediate return in the last year. Let the 2012-2014 season play out and then if we MUST, then go after Vanek. But I think most people have way too much faith in Vanek's ability to be a savior for this team. Besides, I think we need to hold onto Zucker for another 2 years before we really know what we have with him.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

for

Vanek

He is a FREE AGENT next year. Why in the world would you give up that much for it? Pominville had at least one year on his contract for what we gave up.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
He is a FREE AGENT next year. Why in the world would you give up that much for it? Pominville had at least one year on his contract for what we gave up.

Thinking the same thing. Tough position to trade for Vanek as a potential with the salary concerns and other issues (still have to re-sign Pominville, etc.)

And with that, new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad