Status
Not open for further replies.

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
Part 1

When the Wild acquired Jason Pominville on April 3, the team seemed destined to use a compliance buyout this offseason on veteran Dany Heatley.

That’s now unlikely to happen.

He[Heatley] underwent surgery five days later and was given a four- to six-month recovery time.

Cal Clutterbuck is a potential restricted free agent and might be on the trading block, as are defenseman Tom Gilbert and center Zenon Konopka. Gilbert, who had 13 points and was minus-11 in 43 games last year, also is a compliance buyout candidate. Buying him out for two-thirds of his $3 million salary would clear $4 million off the books.

Devin Setoguchi ($3 million cap hit and entering the last year of his deal) and Kyle Brodziak ($2.833 cap hit) could be trade bait.

Either way, it will be fascinating to watch how Fletcher makes the snug math work.

“The question is how do we get to the cap and still make the right hockey decisions,” Fletcher said. “That’s the challenge, but honestly, I’m not worried and there are a lot of teams that are in worse shape than we are.”
Heatley injury has Wild dealing with tight salary cap

Just a reminder that every confirmed signing or trade is thread worthy.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think we're going to see more rookies this year. That's probably the best way to get under the cap.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I believe strongly that one D-man and one top9 guy will be traded. Who? Remains to be seen.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Gilbert is toast if Heatley can't be bought out (although it sounds like the Wild will hope to buy him out at the end of the summer if they can).

Clutterbuck and Kenopka are also gone.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
So the Wild are going to be cap-strapped with no starting goalie. Outstanding. Hard to see this team taking a step forward unless they can move a couple players.

A Clutterbuck trade looks a bit more likely now, although I see Rupp is making a ridiculous $1.5m. I'd rather buy out Rupp and Prosser which would save $2.3m.

Guessing they try and re-sign Backs for $3m or so and let Cullen walk, then have Coyle and Granlund compete for the #2 center spot.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'd say we more than likely use a buyout on someone, but just not sure who at this point. Gilbert might be an option but you'd think a team desperate for defense would be willing to give something for him.

I was also under the impression that the compliance buyout only could count toward players that made over $3 million/year but I just learned that was only for the accelerated buyouts that happened during the season like Gomez and Redden.

One of Falk/Prosser (or both) definitely needs to go. Falk might fetch something in a trade for his size alone, but I doubt Prosser would get much, if anything. With Scandella getting his extension, that hopefully accelerates the process of ditching at least one of them.

I would be fine with trading Clutter, just not for peanuts.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I go back and forth on Gilbert.

On one hand, you can buy him out and get space. And there's going to be some quality guys getting cut this summer and UFA prices should drop a bit with fewer bidders.

On the other hand, he's a decent bottom pairing guy, and I sure as hell don't want Falk or Prosser back. And I'd prefer Stoner to be a 7th defenseman.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I go back and forth on Gilbert.

On one hand, you can buy him out and get space. And there's going to be some quality guys getting cut this summer and UFA prices should drop a bit with fewer bidders.

On the other hand, he's a decent bottom pairing guy, and I sure as hell don't want Falk or Prosser back. And I'd prefer Stoner to be a 7th defenseman.
Again, damn you, Heatley!!!! :rant:

But yeah, quite a pickle we're in. Falk or Prosser over Gilbert is mind numbing. Yet we're in a bad position thanks to #15's injury. If there was a good time to possibly get talent for a cheaper price, it would be this summer. Yet we can't. Might also make it difficult for us to make a trade, because the opposition will know we're tight. We may not be able to get the most out of trade, because they'll hold the cards.

We weren't hurting cap wise, but we had all our eggs in Heatley's buyout basket.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Is there any interest in a player like Niskanen from Pittsburgh?

Played great hockey at the beginning of this season and then tailed off a bit towards the end. He should be able to be acquired for cheap and can log top 4 minutes without being a liability.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Is there any interest in a player like Niskanen from Pittsburgh?

Played great hockey at the beginning of this season and then tailed off a bit towards the end. He should be able to be acquired for cheap and can log top 4 minutes without being a liability.

I like Niskanen's game, but I'm not sure he'd be an improvement over Gilbert for about the same cap hit, plus what would you trade to get him?

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
I like Niskanen's game, but I'm not sure he'd be an improvement over Gilbert for about the same cap hit, plus what would you trade to get him?

His cap hit is 2.3 million, so it's manageable. Penguins fans were suggesting a Clutterbuck for Niskanen swap. I think it's probably a decent deal for both sides. Wild get a top 4 defenseman with a workable cap hit and the Penguins clear up some of the extra defensemen that they have and get a bottom 6 forward.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
But if he's not an upgrade over Gilbert, you lose an asset in Clutterbuck to save $1m. Might as well just buy out Rupp. Gilbert has better offensive production and pretty comparable Corsi numbers. He's also a few inches taller.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Clutterbuck
Brodziak
Seto
Gilbert
Konopka

Are all distinct possibilities. Of those, I think you'll see the most nibbles at Seto, Gilbert, and Clutterbuck though. The problem is...what are we really getting back when we lose youth? Upper 30's goalie and center who have us by the balls? That will be the bigger question that Fletcher will address. And in all honesty, if he can sign Backstrom and keep those guys here, he is going to do it, even if it means letting Cullen walk. As sucky of the situation it is, he isn't going to drop cap just because of one crappy year by some of these guys.

J22*

His cap hit is 2.3 million, so it's manageable. Penguins fans were suggesting a Clutterbuck for Niskanen swap. I think it's probably a decent deal for both sides. Wild get a top 4 defenseman with a workable cap hit and the Penguins clear up some of the extra defensemen that they have and get a bottom 6 forward.

Niskanen is not a top 4 dman and would bring nothing to the Wild, other than somebody else for fans to blame.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Niskanen is not a top 4 dman and would bring nothing to the Wild, other than somebody else for fans to blame.

He's played in Pittsburgh's top 4 for the past 2 years. He's an upgrade over Gilbert, not a huge one, but an upgrade nonetheless. I don't think he's the ideal top 4 defenseman, but for a non-ELC I don't think you're going to get many better defensemen available in that price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad