Speculation: 2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be the GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
What the ****. Unless I just woke up from a coma, I'm pretty sure we still have a game to play tomorrow?

ha ha yea good one. Bro, even if we pull out a win thursday, we need a massive, massive, push from everyone for 3 straight games to tie this.

think... three straight game 7 performances from last series... think it's possible? not with this current team, under this current coach. sorry it ain't happening....

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
I say fire Torts, hire Lindy, make a couple of small deals, and come back with almost the same team with minor tweaks. I have never been a fan of large roster overhauls. You battle 1/2 to 3/4 of the following year trying to find chemistry. Let them stick together and gel, with a new system.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'd start next year with the same roster and coach, with two exceptions...

1. Don't re-sign Clowe

2. Look to try to land a young scoring forward for one of our defensemen.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
ha ha yea good one. Bro, even if we pull out a win thursday, we need a massive, massive, push from everyone for 3 straight games to tie this.

think... three straight game 7 performances from last series... think it's possible? not with this current team, under this current coach. sorry it ain't happening....

4 in a row, no prob.............I will be kissing men, women and children if they do that....no ones safe:laugh:

Haha, I realize it's a LONG LONG shot, and it probably won't happen. But still, just saying, stand by our team until the last horn. Season not over, neither technically nor literally.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Haha, I realize it's a LONG LONG shot, and it probably won't happen. But still, just saying, stand by our team until the last horn. Season not over, neither technically nor literally.

i'll have the game on thursday, but i'm not expecting much. I don't want to get swept....

if they pull it off and manage to win Saturday.... then i'll start getting antsy.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I say fire Torts, hire Lindy, make a couple of small deals, and come back with almost the same team with minor tweaks. I have never been a fan of large roster overhauls. You battle 1/2 to 3/4 of the following year trying to find chemistry. Let them stick together and gel, with a new system.

Lindy Ruff, the guy who didnt win a thing in Buffalo, is the answer now? Ha.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey

I guess i should have worded that differently. More or less he was the best coach I could think of who is jobless at the moment. I would be open to other coaches, I just couldn't think of one better at the time.

I have been a fan of Torts since his days in Tampa. But, his inability to adjust has worn on me this year.

Who would you suggest?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Doesn't mean he isn't a good coach. Torts won in TB. What has that done for him here? I doubt Torts gets fired though. The team didn't live up to expectations during the season, but they did get to the 2nd round.

I think both Torts and Richards will be here next season. Richards is gone either way after that. If we struggle again next year, Torts may be gone too.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's not about finding the "Best" coach. That's impossible to qualify. It's about finding the correct one.

You want someone the players like AND respect. Someone they'll listen to, and want to win for.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
So we resign Clowe (and give up another 2nd round pick) who has had 2 concussions in the past month?

We don't buy out Richards who looks lost, out of shape, disinterested etc?

Instead of trading from our strength on defense (the left side) we trade a right defenseman in Girardi? That makes no sense unless we are upgrading the right side. Who's the upgrade? Mcilrath? Come on....:laugh:

Where is Torts in your equation? Remember when Renney was fired how you loved Torts, Torts would change everything...etc....Is Torts still the right guy for the job? Is 4 seasons plus the end of 08-09 enough of a sample size to evaluate Torts?

Richards has another season to prove himself, nothing better on the market, might as well keep him.

Clowe and concussions. First, show me where it says he has a concussion (or 2). Right now, thats 100% supposition on your part

Trading Girardi.

You gotta give to get. The upgrade? there is none, we're going to take a hit there, but a guy like Stralman went from a waiver wire pikcup to one of our most reliable defenseman. Eminger has been just fine.

I still believe in Torts. I dont think he's the reason our #1 center has regressed the way he has...and it's the single biggest reason why we've sucked these playoffs.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I guess i should have worded that differently. More or less he was the best coach I could think of who is jobless at the moment. I would be open to other coaches, I just couldn't think of one better at the time.

I have been a fan of Torts since his days in Tampa. But, his inability to adjust has worn on me this year.

Who would you suggest?

I havent really thought about it.

I dont think this team is championship caliber no matter who is coaching it.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i think another big problem here is that some of our kids were just not yet ready. Kreider & Miller aren't there yet...they'll (obviously) need more time.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
So we resign Clowe (and give up another 2nd round pick) who has had 2 concussions in the past month?

We don't buy out Richards who looks lost, out of shape, disinterested etc?

Instead of trading from our strength on defense (the left side) we trade a right defenseman in Girardi? That makes no sense unless we are upgrading the right side. Who's the upgrade? Mcilrath? Come on....:laugh:

Where is Torts in your equation? Remember when Renney was fired how you loved Torts, Torts would change everything...etc....Is Torts still the right guy for the job? Is 4 seasons plus the end of 08-09 enough of a sample size to evaluate Torts?

About Clowe, I thought we lost the second pick any way because we made it to the second round? I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do in a healthy year. I wouldn't sign him to more than a 2 year deal, but I don't think he would accept that.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I still believe in Torts. I dont think he's the reason our #1 center has regressed the way he has...and it's the single biggest reason why we've sucked these playoffs.
Giving him a lot more benefit of doubt than the last guy that held his position.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Seriously I cringe every time I read him as a legitimate suggestion.

If they want a younger, fresher team, the coaching staff needs to be younger as well. I like the idea of an established AHL coach. They deal with youth all the time and have watched the game evolve before their eyes to the pace it is played by the new generation of players. They should know how to make a younger team flourish. If they aren't going to look in the AHL they need to consider a forward thinking NHL coach who can get the most out of a young group. Someone like Maclean.

The only realistic suggestions I can personally make for the line-up are:

Buyout Richards. I loved this signing and he as a player before NYR. He doesn't deserve another year here. Get lost.

Do not re-sign Clowe. He cannot effectively play his style of hockey anymore and he's asking for too long of a term.

Re-sign Zucc. This one speaks for itself.

Trade DelZotto at the draft. He's still young but the value won't be there forever. Get a 1st rounder, preferably top15. They can do better than him.

Do everything you can to retain Staal. Hopefully he doesn't want to go to Carolina, but if he does move him before the deadline for the BPA.

Unrealistic hopefuls:

Kreider, Fasth, Lindberg and Miller all make the team out of camp.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Seriously I cringe every time I read him as a legitimate suggestion.

If they want a younger, fresher team, the coaching staff needs to be younger as well. I like the idea of an established AHL coach. They deal with youth all the time and have watched the game evolve before their eyes to the pace it is played by the new generation of players. They should know how to make a younger team flourish. If they aren't going to look in the AHL they need to consider a forward thinking NHL coach who can get the most out of a young group. Someone like Maclean.

The only realistic suggestions I can personally make for the line-up are:

Buyout Richards. I loved this signing and he as a player before NYR. He doesn't deserve another year here. Get lost.

Do not re-sign Clowe. He cannot effectively play his style of hockey anymore and he's asking for too long of a term.

Re-sign Zucc. This one speaks for itself.

Trade DelZotto at the draft. He's still young but the value won't be there forever. Get a 1st rounder, preferably top15. They can do better than him.

Do everything you can to retain Staal. Hopefully he doesn't want to go to Carolina, but if he does move him before the deadline for the BPA.

Unrealistic hopefuls:

Kreider, Fasth, Lindberg and Miller all make the team out of camp.

I agree with virtually everything here. But you know what the scary part is? I STILL dont think they'd be legitimate contenders.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I agree with virtually everything here. But you know what the scary part is? I STILL dont think they'd be legitimate contenders.

Nope, the team will still be better on paper than on the ice and it will be another year of young struggles and possibly new systems if there is a new coach. For that reason alone I let Tort get at least a 1/4 season because the constant turnover of everything is killing this team.

The defense is going to be a huge question mark with how one minute they're over-achieving supermen and the next underachieving pylons. The offense has the biggest potential to be deep depending on the youth injection, but again there will be struggles.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Agree with all the points Ailurophile; except I am unsure about MDZ.

I don't see how Lindy Ruff is going to be an improvement over Torts.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
1) Get rid of Torts. I tried to stick by him for as long as I could but I'm done.

2) Get rid of Richards. I loved the signing originally. It amazes me how quickly his skills diminished.

3) Try to deal one or both of Staal/Del Zotto for some top end forwards. Maybe try revisiting Staal to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan, or someone of that ilk.

4) Try to sign Weiss to a cheap deal. Couple years at 3.5 per.

Ryan - Weiss - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Callahan
Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello
Pyatt/Asham - Boyle - Dorsett

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal/Del Zotto - Stralman
Moore - UFA/Eminger?

Lundqvist
Biron

Trade one or both of Staal/DZ? Have Stralman as a second pair D-man and a question mark on the third pair? That's not going to work. That's blowing open a huge hole to fix a smaller one IMO.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Richards has another season to prove himself, nothing better on the market, might as well keep him.

For the role of 1st and 2nd line center the Rangers have two better players in Brassard and Stepan....right...They both play center....Richards plays center......Are you saying the Rangers can't get a better 4th line center than Brad Richards? The risk of Richards getting hurt next season and the Rangers not being able to buy him out is to great...I'd sign Briere after he is bought out by Philly. He'd come here cheap, he'd help the power play, and if he doesn't work out it's only for a season. Vs another season with Richards? hmm...it's a tough one but i'll take my chances with an injury prone Briere Vs Richards who clearly showed up to camp out of shape and has done nothing in his two season here. But lets keep him around because....well, i don't know why you'd keep him around....maybe you own his jersey...

Clowe and concussions. First, show me where it says he has a concussion (or 2). Right now, thats 100% supposition on your part

Ok, he doesn't have a concussion....(when we both know he does but I'll play this stupid semantics game) do you still want to give up a second round pick for Clowe? Can the Rangers survive with Kreider as the 2nd line left wing? Can they spend the money on Hendrix who fills a need? you tell me....Is Clowe worth the risk...Will you admit he's a bit injury prone? Do you think power forwards break down?

Trading Girardi.

You gotta give to get. The upgrade? there is none, we're going to take a hit there, but a guy like Stralman went from a waiver wire pikcup to one of our most reliable defenseman. Eminger has been just fine.

Why Girardi instead of Staal? (who may not resign here after next season) or Del Zotto? (who's minutes are going to be eaten up by McD and Moore next season) So you plan on more waiver fodder as a solution? That's just an awful idea. Unless the Rangers are getting something back that is too good to pass up keep Girardi and trade from a postion of strength...the left side of the defense....
A #1 center you want to see back next season. So the guy Torts wanted here is the single biggest reason we sucked this playoffs (your words) yet you want Torts and Richards back. What is their to believe in with Torts? He's done a decent job here, we had a mini run last year but he's run his course. It happens to every coach. The power play to me is the single biggest reason we have sucked in this years playoffs. That's on the coaching staff. That's been a problem for at least 2 seasons under Torts. Where are the adjustments? Where is the "safe is death" Torts we all thought we were getting? You wanted Torts and after this disaster you want to keep him? huh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad