2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If a Russian player is willing to play in Baie-Comeau, he probably wants to play in the NHL.

The issue becomes if he isn't in the NHL full time at 21 or 22 and the KHL offers big money he could be tempted to go there rather tahn play AHL for 60-80k/year. It will always be a factor unless the KHL goes away.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Dude.

The Russian factor affects players... in Russia.

There's no russian factor for foreign kid already playing in the CHL, and I might add, small markets like Baie-Comeau in particular.

Radulov and others played junior hockey and left for the KHL at certain times. A team can either lose a player or have his development interrupted. The Habs lost Perezhogin, if he was from Manitoba he may have become a solid NHLer or at least a tardeable asset, they lost him for nothing.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What's Zykov's footspeed like? I've only seen highlights and it looks pretty average.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Radulov and others played junior hockey and left for the KHL at certain times. A team can either lose a player or have his development interrupted. The Habs lost Perezhogin, if he was from Manitoba he may have become a solid NHLer or at least a tardeable asset, they lost him for nothing.

Radulov would be a cancer no matter where he's from. Yes being Russian allowed him to violate his contract but even Russians with less interest in playing in North American than him would be less likely to clearly screw over their team.

And also committing to a big market CHL teams like the Remparts aren't the same as committing to Baie-Comeau. Playing for the Remparts gives you plenty of under the table rewards and allows you to live in a relatively big city; the "commitment" is like claiming a colllege football player cares about education by going to the University of Alabama.

Of course if a Russian isn't good enough for the NHL he's likely to leave, but if that's the case you have more problems to worry about than missing out on the 7th round pick you can get from trading a North American AHLer.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Radulov would be a cancer no matter where he's from. Yes being Russian allowed him to violate his contract but even Russians with less interest in playing in North American than him would be less likely to clearly screw over their team.

And also committing to a big market CHL teams like the Remparts aren't the same as committing to Baie-Comeau. Playing for the Remparts gives you plenty of under the table rewards and allows you to live in a relatively big city; the "commitment" is like claiming a colllege football player cares about education by going to the University of Alabama.

Of course if a Russian isn't good enough for the NHL he's likely to leave, but if that's the case you have more problems to worry about than missing out on the 7th round pick you can get from trading a North American AHLer.

Most NHLers are not good enough for the NHL until they are 22-23-24. You draft players at 18, the "lure" of the KHL is always there and it can affect their development. NHL teams don't let Russians slide because they want to discriminate...it IS a factor in getting and keeping the player.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
What's Zykov's footspeed like? I've only seen highlights and it looks pretty average.

It's one of his weakness, but he gets around surprisingly well. He's not the guy you want on the forecheck though, I believe it's Girard who's the first man in. When you have good positioning, you don't need to be really fast.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Alexandre Belanger is showing some interesting stuff in the playoffs this year

He's pretty calm and hes playing good

He is not really nervous and doesnt seem to get down after bad goal

in the current series he let a goal on the PP after he played the puck out of his net and got surprised by the quebec player who was forechecking... but he did rebound after with many good saves

also he wasnt suppose to be our #1 goalie for this year but our vet basically gave up for the season because of recurring knees injuries so he was given the #1 spot with around 20 games to go

he did a good job so far and i think that he would be a solid 4th-5th round pick

VanNistelrooy

Jun 15, 2005
Habs Land
Most NHLers are not good enough for the NHL until they are 22-23-24. You draft players at 18, the "lure" of the KHL is always there and it can affect their development. NHL teams don't let Russians slide because they want to discriminate...it IS a factor in getting and keeping the player.

Name me 3 russians that played in the CHL in the last 8 years that had a LEGITIMATE shot at being full time NHLer that bolted to Russia in between 18 and 24 years old

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Name me 3 russians that played in the CHL in the last 8 years that had a LEGITIMATE shot at being full time NHLer that bolted to Russia in between 18 and 24 years old

Rdaulov Vishnevskiy Mihalik and Tyutin those are just off the top of my head.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Alexandre Belanger is showing some interesting stuff in the playoffs this year

He's pretty calm and hes playing good

He is not really nervous and doesnt seem to get down after bad goal

in the current series he let a goal on the PP after he played the puck out of his net and got surprised by the quebec player who was forechecking... but he did rebound after with many good saves

also he wasnt suppose to be our #1 goalie for this year but our vet basically gave up for the season because of recurring knees injuries so he was given the #1 spot with around 20 games to go

he did a good job so far and i think that he would be a solid 4th-5th round pick

He struggled mightily against Drummondville though. Thought he'd get destroyed against Québec.

Good for him, he certainly has upside.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's one of his weakness, but he gets around surprisingly well. He's not the guy you want on the forecheck though, I believe it's Girard who's the first man in. When you have good positioning, you don't need to be really fast.

For a big guy he moves pretty well though. I wouldnt say its a huge weakness

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Legitimate : Alex Radulov,

Maybes: Ivan Vishnevskiy, Dmitri Kugryshev

Nope: Ruslan Bashkirov, Sergei Korostin, Mikhail Stefanovich

Will probably bolt: Evgeny Grachev

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

None of these guys, aside from Radu who actually made it to the NHL anyway, were sure of making it...

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
None of these guys, aside from Radu who actually made it to the NHL anyway, were sure of making it...

This may shock you, but unless we make a huge trade to get into the top 5, none of our picks will be sure things either. Drafting a Russian non-superstar is 2 or 3 times the risk of a NA kid.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Still hoping we come out of this draft with at least 1 of the following:

Solid top 6 LW prospect
Solid top 2 line C prospect
Quality G prospect
Toughness that can play in a top 9 role

Just a thought here about the Frozen Four teams and Yale's LW/ Antoine Laganiere at 6'4" - 215 lbs Top Six and a Free Agent after tomorrow's Title game with Quinnipiac.
Then there is Drew Leblanc the Hobey Baker Hattrick candidate,St.Cloud lost to Quinnipiac last night,his season over.Drew could be the Center for a top 2 line for the Habs,the two-time Captain led St. Cloud to their first ever appearance in the Frozen Four.Playmaking being his forte,still scoring 3 GWG's more importantly leading the NCAA in assists with (37) and seventh in points (50) three points from the top.If Bergevin can sign these two free agents,it would leave leeway at the draft to choose selectively for depth,possibly with an eye to power forwards to add size for the future.:nod:

Habtchum*

Just a thought here about the Frozen Four teams and Yale's LW/ Antoine Laganiere at 6'4" - 215 lbs Top Six and a Free Agent after tomorrow's Title game with Quinnipiac.
Then there is Drew Leblanc the Hobey Baker Hattrick candidate,St.Cloud lost to Quinnipiac last night,his season over.Drew could be the Center for a top 2 line for the Habs,the two-time Captain led St. Cloud to their first ever appearance in the Frozen Four.Playmaking being his forte,still scoring 3 GWG's more importantly leading the NCAA in assists with (37) and seventh in points (50) three points from the top.If Bergevin can sign these two free agents,it would leave leeway at the draft to choose selectively for depth,possibly with an eye to power forwards to add size for the future.:nod:

Hartzell, the Quinnipiac goalie seems also a good option. Hamilton needs goalies. Laganière might be a long term project, possibly a 3rd line winger at NHL level. But he is tall and big and got a gritty side.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005

I was thinking if that were the case, re: Laganiere, etc., that Bergevin and Dudley would trade up from quantity to quality and draft elite talent to complement that which we have now. If not this year perhaps next year with extra pick we can get for Gionta this summer.? Not sure if it makes more sense to do that with a deep draft or not...in Timmins & Co. we trust.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This may shock you, but unless we make a huge trade to get into the top 5, none of our picks will be sure things either. Drafting a Russian non-superstar is 2 or 3 times the risk of a NA kid.

Zykov is a safer pick to make the NHL than any of the players mentioned there.

You sound like Cherry man... Check yourself before you wreck yourself:laugh:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
With all these players' respective stocks' rising someone really good is bound to fall. Zykov's stock is rising, Lazar's stock is rising, Domi should go top ten.

I'm not hating but I'm sure if you guys did a survey of how many of these players you've said will go 10-15, it would be like 20 different names. That's so awesome!

Can't wait for the draft!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
With all these players' respective stocks' rising someone really good is bound to fall. Zykov's stock is rising, Lazar's stock is rising, Domi should go top ten.

I'm not hating but I'm sure if you guys did a survey of how many of these players you've said will go 10-15, it would be like 20 different names. That's so awesome!

Can't wait for the draft!

It's what makes the strenght of the draft:laugh: 6 players that could go everywhere from 3 to 9, 20 that could go from 10 to 20 and 30ish that could go from 20 to 30:laugh:

Oh, Lazar's stock never really fell BTW.

Analyzer*

Rdaulov Vishnevskiy Mihalik and Tyutin those are just off the top of my head.

Tyutin didn't really bolt.

Stefanovich is belorussian and sucks.

Artem Sergeev came over and so far has stayed here.

Daniil Zharkov looks like another that will stay.

Though, both are young and time will tell.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Tyutin didn't really bolt.

Stefanovich is belorussian and sucks.

Artem Sergeev came over and so far has stayed here.

Daniil Zharkov looks like another that will stay.

Though, both are young and time will tell.

Zlobin, Grigo, Yakupov, Kucherov, Khoko and Makarov comes to mind too... And theyre alot more comparable to Zykov.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
We're in such a good position to grab every good players that slip, i hope we get three homerun with our first three picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce