2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Drouin is a better distributor than Mackinnon. But if anything Mac has shown smarts by letting Drouin play that role and focus on scoring. Just as Drouin has shown he can score more without Mackinnon around. They are both intelligent players and compliment each other nicely.

I'd still take Mac over Drouin...but it's very, very close.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Yes, he has fallen. He got injured early (the dreaded high ankle sprain). He's not even a point per game player this season after being one last year as a 16 year old.

Quite possible he falls into the late 2nd/early 3rd round portion of this draft.

Thanks for the info, well I guess it would be even better for us if he does!!:D

niftymove

Jul 13, 2010
Useless debate imho, since neither Mack nor Drouin will be available to the Habs.

But when I see Drouin's highlights, I see Denis Savard so much....

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
That's exactly what I'm talking about. You really think Mac is not distributing because he can't ? Get real. He's one of the best player in the Q and also one of the youngest. Read my whole post and try to understand it before making yourself look silly.

We aren't talking about how good he is in the Q. We are talking how his game will translate to NHL. There are a pile of 1996 born players younger than him in the Q.

I read your whole post and it makes no sense.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What if we trade all our picks for a top 3?

It's not a good enough package.

Think about it, would you trade a 1st overall for all 30 2nd rounders? No, you would not, just look at a typical draft year. And there is a 50 player contract limit and limited roster spots in Hamilton. Late round draft pics are throw ins.

Last year, the rumour was that Edmonton wanted Doug Hamilton, Milan Lucic, and Bosto's 1st for Yakupov and Boston turned them down. That is a good guide imo, even if we are not sure it is true. The good news? Boston probably did not need to trade Seguin, Rask, or Chara.

Realistically?
1st rounder, Nathan Beaulieu, DavidDesharnais, Bourque is approximately what night be expected, depends on team needs though.

niftymove

Jul 13, 2010
What if we trade all our picks for a top 3?

This is obviously unrealistic, but after some reflexion, I must admit we can't quit already on a top draft propect. So the debate may still be usefull...we never know!

Sure, like many of you I guess, I have mix feelings this year: gladly surprised to watch the brilliant performance of the Habs but in the same timee I can see those awesome top prospects we are talking about for months now slip away from us.

But we never know what can come out of MB magic hat!

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Question for those who are in the know moreso than myself about the draft/prospects:

What sort of players (preferably forwards) are available in the later rounds that we could get to mold them into chris neil/shawn thornton type player? A 4th line fighter who can actually play? I mean, there has to be someone out there. I know those players are hard to find, but personally I would love to see the new management go out and find a guy who can fit that role and develop him from scratch. Prust obviously can play that role right now, and I'd have him until he retires if he plays the way that he has for us, but we need a true heavyweight who can play.

Anyone care to help me out?

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009
The attitude thing comes from Team Canada coaches who had him at TWO inbternational tournaments.

I never said he had BAD IQ, just slightly above average while Drouin's is the best in the draft from what many scouts are saying.

What I would want from MacKinnon that he currently doesn't have...or I haven't seen in 15-20 viewings is the ability to see the whole ice at a high level, like Crosby did. He will score goals of his own at the pro level but won't turn a 20 goal scorer into a 30 goal scorer, he profiles more as a #2 center or #1 line winger than elite #1 center.

This isn't the first time you have spewed bull**** about him having an attitude problem during the U18 and U20 tournaments. Canada won gold in spite of how bad a job Todd Gill did at the U18s. And Spott was so bad with his sweetheart Murphy on the ice all the time at the U20s- Spott was such a ****ty coach even he wouldn't have won with the 2005 team.

The only was Nate is a #2 center at the NHL level will be if he is playing behind a generational talent ie Crosby.

And as for not making players better- give your head a shake :shakehead. He raised the play of whover he has played with in his 2 seasons with the Mooseheads- your just a Moncton chump who has a hate on for the kid.

Halifaxhab*

Soooo....can we discuss prospects in montreals wheelhouse.

If you guys want to argue about dru and nate go to another thread. But anyone in halifax can gloat we have both right now so our 14 bucks is a great price to watch them.

Id like to discuss Hill, 6'6 225 lbs at 17! he is a pwf who can fight and intimidate. Maybe even give us someone who can go at Chara successfully ..... thoughts?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I might even say that Mac has a better hockey IQ than Drouin.

Thing is, he has that ability but he's not that type of player just yet. He's young (6 months younger than Droudrou) and it will come. He plays a really intense game and over the years he had success by himself, he'll see that at a higher level of play you rely on your teammates a lot more and that's when he'll become that dangerous threat.

Don't you find it kind of sad that you pencil Drouin in a 1st line player and Mackinnon in a second line C when Mackinnon is younger and has the better career Q numbers ?

You're all in love with Drouin (rightly so. He's incredible.) but you forget about what Mack has done and about what he could(will.) do. Drouin is now the flavour of the month prospect, we get it but there's a whole world of prospect out there.

Why would MacKinnon be able to do certain things in the pros taht he isn't doing in the QMJHL, that makes no sense at all...usually it works the other way where guys have to adapt and can't do certain things in the pros that they did in the Q.

I think both are 1st liners, but MacKinnon will have to play wing on the 1st line with a "distributor" at center. While Drouin is more the distributor himself.

MacKinnon had better numbers last year, but Drouin has passed him this year and his production i over a half PPGM better(1.68 vs 2.21), do you think that's just a fluke?

And I might even say that Drouin is a better skater than MacKinnon. And it would not be true either.

I know that barring some small miracle that the Habs won't be drafting these guys. More than likely they will draft between 20-30,Nicushkin or Buchnevich might be available depending upon which teams are out of the playoffs.Other players that can skate really well and play that may be there for the Habs;Morrissey,Mueller,Hagg,-Def. Forwards-Dickinson,Lazar,Domi,Bo Horvat, also Wennberg & Burakovsky but these Swedes will probably go in the Top Ten.Unless the Habs are really unfortunate and have injuries to core players, then expect to draft 15-30 possibly quite a bit higher if they continue their early season performances.:handclap::handclap:

Ubercron9000*

Who are some big guys who are tough and have skill? Do wennberg and de la rose fit this profile?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Who are some big guys who are tough and have skill? Do wennberg and de la rose fit this profile?

I would not call either one ''tough'' even though they have solid size. DLR is especially big.

We discussed those big and tough forwards, who have some skill, about a week ago in this thread.

As for Tyler Hill, who is one of them, can anyone find a stat line for that kid this year? Has he really only played 12 games?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This isn't the first time you have spewed bull**** about him having an attitude problem during the U18 and U20 tournaments. Canada won gold in spite of how bad a job Todd Gill did at the U18s. And Spott was so bad with his sweetheart Murphy on the ice all the time at the U20s- Spott was such a ****ty coach even he wouldn't have won with the 2005 team.

The only was Nate is a #2 center at the NHL level will be if he is playing behind a generational talent ie Crosby.

And as for not making players better- give your head a shake :shakehead. He raised the play of whover he has played with in his 2 seasons with the Mooseheads- your just a Moncton chump who has a hate on for the kid.

I won't bother discussing this with you because you are blinded by the Moose jersey or hometown hero thing and can't duiscuss it rationally. I get it mackinnon is the best player ever and anything he hasn't done it's because he doesn't want to...

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I would not call either one ''tough'' even though they have solid size. DLR is especially big.

We discussed those big and tough forwards, who have some skill, about a week ago in this thread.

As for Tyler Hill, who is one of them, can anyone find a stat line for that kid this year? Has he really only played 12 games?

I have no problem drafting a couple power forwards or brusing d-men, but in terms of fighters just sign FA's as most NHL scrappers are.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
Question for those who are in the know moreso than myself about the draft/prospects:

What sort of players (preferably forwards) are available in the later rounds that we could get to mold them into chris neil/shawn thornton type player? A 4th line fighter who can actually play? I mean, there has to be someone out there. I know those players are hard to find, but personally I would love to see the new management go out and find a guy who can fit that role and develop him from scratch. Prust obviously can play that role right now, and I'd have him until he retires if he plays the way that he has for us, but we need a true heavyweight who can play.

Anyone care to help me out?

Not a heavyweight but I really liked Tommy Veilleux when Victoriaville faced the Rockets here in Charlottetown. He was very intense and he seemed to love to hit. He was an aggressive forechecker and "ok" with the puck. He isn't tall but he has a big heart and he is a willing fighter. Maybe a 7th round pick, maybe.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Can someone give me a comparison of Cam Fowler and Seth Jones; talent wise, junior style of play wise, etc. I remember Fowler being a very high prospect for the 2010 draft and he fell to the Ducks because of team preferences. In terms of production, Fowler did better than Jones on every level except for the WJC.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I have an article from a Sept./Oct issue of The Hockey News somewhere and it's about Tyler Hill.Apparently he works hard at becoming an NHLer,weightlifting and has good trainers/coaches ironing out the wrinkles in his game.Big LW along the lines of a young John Leclair for those that remember him before he joined the Legion of Doom in Philly.Nick Moutrey is another player of interest along with McCarron and Hayden from the USNTDP.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I have an article from a Sept./Oct issue of The Hockey News somewhere and it's about Tyler Hill.Apparently he works hard at becoming an NHLer,weightlifting and has good trainers/coaches ironing out the wrinkles in his game.Big LW along the lines of a young John Leclair for those that remember him before he joined the Legion of Doom in Philly.Nick Moutrey is another player of interest along with McCarron and Hayden from the USNTDP.

Where's Hill projected to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad