2013 NHL Entry Draft Statistics

kn0ck0ut85

Dec 20, 2011
What's the deal with this kid Ben Harpur on Guelph? The name caught my attention initially, but then I see that he's so-far got 3 points in 2 games and early-on is tied for first in OHL rookie scoring amongst D (with the equally awesome-named Warren Steele).

Aside from the awesome name, he's '13 eligible and he's already 6'4 180.

Did some research about him as well, and found his draft video. Turns out he just converted to D last January during his MM year. Looking at his stats now, he has only played 16 games. Guelph is most likely trying to bring him along slowly, since GM Mike Kelly believes he has "very high potential".

I found this article on him by Jeff Marek: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/09/05/sheet_rfas/

"Even though I thought Pedan was the best player on the ice on either side I kept coming back to watching a rookie who was playing in his first OHL game, Ben Harpur. The Niagara-on-the-Lake-native is not draft eligible until 2013. Remember the name. If you get out to a Storm game this year you can't miss him, he's the huge 6'5 guy on the backend. Speculation is, when he fills out, Harpur will come in somewhere around 6'6, 230 (right now he's hovering around 185) and is already drawing comparisons to Chris Pronger. And not just because of the size but also because he's an above-average skater (his midget coach in Niagara Falls Rick Ferroni has a reputation of putting a sharp focus on skating with all his kids and Harpur is proof). Harpur has the mobility of a much smaller player who has a nasty streak as well. He played forward his entire life (right wing specifically) and didn't take a shift on the blueline until last December but took to the position effortlessly. Come to think of it, given that fact perhaps comparisons to Brent Burns may be better than Pronger?

Look, I'm no scout (I don't have enough black in my wardrobe for that gig) but this player really impressed me and knowing the Storm organization, they'll do the right thing and bring him along slowly."

I also read that he is now 6'5, 190lbs+.. (listed at 6'1, 170lbs at the draft), probably still growing.

MBhockey1

Dec 18, 2011
Hockey rinks
This has been surely mentioned already but the 2013 Draft looks very good for Finland. Besides Barkov and Ristolainen, there are many other players who have good potential. Here are a couple of players who I'd like to mention.

Ville Husso, Goalie, HIFK Jr.A
Juuso Ikonen, Center/Left Wing, Blues Jr.A
Janne Juvonen, Goalie, Pelicans Jr.A
Artturi Lehkonen, Wing, TPS Jr.A
Matias Pulli, Defenseman, TPS Jr.A
Saku Salminen, Center, Jokerit Jr.A

I have seen Salminen playing most but I like also for example Lehkonen a lot. I have not seen yet Juvonen and Husso (he has always been the back-up goalie when I have seen HIFK playing).

Latex*

Ristolainen was awesome in todays exhibition match of the WJC against Canada.

IMO the best Finnish D-man on the ice.

MBhockey1

Dec 18, 2011
Hockey rinks
Ristolainen was awesome in todays exhibition match of the WJC against Canada.

IMO the best Finnish D-man on the ice.

Yes, I was also impressed by him in the match. I was at a match a couple of weeks ago and he was good that time, too. A very interesting prospect to follow for sure.

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
Just putting some Danish names out there. These guys has the best chance of becoming the next Danish draftees:

Sonny Hertzberg
Mads Eller
Mathias Asperup
And perhaps André Pison Stærmose

The last three did a great job playing against men in the very weak danish second tier play-off. Asperup had 12 point in 13 games. Mads Eller is the brother of NHL'er Lars Eller. Hertzberg is from Herning(Frans Nielsen, Peter Regin, Nicklas Jensen) and the other three is from Rodovre(Jannik Hansen, Lars Eller, Mikkel Boedker)

If just one of these gets drafted it would be great :)

Rooting for André. Kid has some great hockey sense.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
His icetime will increase. Dufva told Barkov that hes most skilled prospect he ever coached and promised him alot of responsibility and good developement environment. Dufva did great job with Sami Vatanen but Barkov is on another level. Janne Ojanen joined to the Tappara coaching staff and hes the one who developes youngsters. We all know that his main focus is on Barkov Jr. Barkov has mostly played with grinders in bottom 6 lines but managed to put up good points and have been very dangerous and solid in the defensive zone. 4 games and 0 goals against when hes on the ice. Mikko Koivu, Pavel Datsyuk-hybrid=win.

This has been surely mentioned already but the 2013 Draft looks very good for Finland. Besides Barkov and Ristolainen, there are many other players who have good potential. Here are a couple of players who I'd like to mention.

Juuso Ikonen, Center/Left Wing, Blues Jr.A
Artturi Lehkonen, Wing, TPS Jr.A

Don't forget Jonatan Tanus who's playing Tappara also. I think he get icetime this year at least if Tappara doesn't have a chance to playoffs. I believe, next year many talking to Tanus and put him to first round or at least 2nd. Here is his profile in eliteprospects: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=52918

My list to Finnish players is right now like this:

Alexander Barkov, Center, Tappara FNL
Rasmus Ristolainen, Defenceman, TPS FNL
Juuso Ikonen, Forward, Blues Jr.A (He still had to get more inches)
Artturi Lehkonen, Right Wing, TPS Jr.A/FNL
Jonatan Tanus, Left Wing, Tappara JR.A

My top10 in 2013 draft now:

1. Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa 67's, OHL, CAN
2. Nathan MacKinnon, C, Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL, CAN
3. Alexander Barkov, C, Tappara, FNL, FIN
4. Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS, FNL, FIN
5. Hunter Shinkaruk, C, Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL, CAN
6. Eric Roy, D, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL, CAN
7. Kerby Rychel, LW, Windsor Spitfires, OHL, CAN
8. Nick Sörensen, RW, Québec Remparts, QMJHL, SWE
9. Seth Jones, D, USNTDP Juniors, USHL, USA
10. Anthony Duclair, F, Québec Remparts, QMJHL, CAN

This is little bit different list than many has, but i see that some of you put there like "Cammarata" type players, who is midget and if he don't grow a lot. None NHL team don't pick him in TOP10 never. Of course height is not everything, but still it means very much to NHL teams. It doesn't matter how high his upside is if he never get and can't get to NHL. Same thing is Juuso Ikonen, he would be WJC and would play now in FNL if he was 5'11-6'0 or more, but he is also midget, so he has to get lot or even some inches to be a super prospect and player.

Last edited:

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Don't forget Jonatan Tanus who's playing Tappara also. I think he get icetime this year at least if Tappara doesn't have a chance to playoffs. I believe, next year many talking to Tanus and put him to first round or at least 2nd. Here is his profile in eliteprospects: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=52918

My list to Finnish players is right now like this:

Alexander Barkov, Center, Tappara FNL
Rasmus Ristolainen, Defenceman, TPS FNL
Juuso Ikonen, Forward, Blues Jr.A (He still had to get more inches)
Artturi Lehkonen, Right Wing, TPS Jr.A/FNL
Jonatan Tanus, Left Wing, Tappara JR.A

My top10 in 2013 draft now:

1. Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa 67's, OHL, CAN
2. Nathan MacKinnon, C, Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL, CAN
3. Alexander Barkov, C, Tappara, FNL, FIN
4. Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS, FNL, FIN
5. Hunter Shinkaruk, C, Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL, CAN
6. Eric Roy, D, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL, CAN
7. Kerby Rychel, LW, Windsor Spitfires, OHL, CAN
8. Nick Sörensen, RW, Québec Remparts, QMJHL, SWE
9. Seth Jones, D, USNTDP Juniors, USHL, USA
10. Anthony Duclair, F, Québec Remparts, QMJHL, CAN

This is little bit different list than many has, but i see that some of you put there like "Cammarata" type players, who is midget and if he don't grow a lot. None NHL team don't pick him in TOP10 never. Of course height is not everything, but still it means very much to NHL teams. It doesn't matter how high his upside is if he never get and can't get to NHL. Same thing is Juuso Ikonen, he would be WJC and would play now in FNL if he was 5'11-6'0 or more, but he is also midget, so he has to get lot or even some inches to be a super prospect and player.

May I ask how many of the guys have you seen play? How do you have Roy over Pulock?

Last edited:

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
May I ask how many of the guys have you seen play? How do you have Roy over Pulock?

Yes and i answer. I am not pro-scout, like i think not many here are and see players all the time. Only thing to get information here in Finland is columns, videos and statistics and yes it's not the best way to list players, but it's the only way here.

Do you mean Ryan Pulock? Are you joking? I think he goes next summer. :sarcasm:

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Yes and i answer. I am not pro-scout, like i think not many here are and see players all the time. Only thing to get information here in Finland is columns, videos and statistics and yes it's not the best way to list players, but it's the only way here.

Do you mean Ryan Pulock? Are you joking? I think he goes next summer. :sarcasm:

Pulock is 2013 eligible, EliteProspects messed that one up.

http://whl.ca/roster/show/id/6750
Says his birthday is on October, 6, 1994, making him 2013 eligible.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Pulock is 2013 eligible, EliteProspects messed that one up.

http://whl.ca/roster/show/id/6750
Says his birthday is on October, 6, 1994, making him 2013 eligible.

Ok, i didn't notice that. I look it in Eliteprospect so i miss that part.

Edit: Still i don't change it. I think Roy is better, what i have read and he is also bigger and will grow. They have also similar point's and i don't know who is tougher, but Pulock seems to me soft? Is there someone who have listed 2013 draft and put Pulock over Roy?

Last edited:

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Ok, i didn't notice that. I look it in Eliteprospect so i miss that part.

Edit: Still i don't change it. I think Roy is better, what i have read and he is also bigger and will grow. They have also similar point's and i don't know who is tougher, but Pulock seems to me soft? Is there someone who have listed 2013 draft and put Pulock over Roy?

So have you seen Roy and Pulock?

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010

I've seen both play and it's really what you want!

Roy is a bit taller by an inch or so but doesn't look as solid, he sees the ice well and is good defensivly. He seems to have a slight advantage on the physical play side.

Pulock is a smooth skating defenseman, he has one of the best breakout pass ability I've seen in a long time, he has a huge shot from the point and has that game changing ability. He doesn't play a physical game as much but position wise he is rarely out of position out there! He has been seeing a lot more pk time as well!

I would say the next half and next season will say a lot for development in both guys, but Pulock has more up side at the moment!

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site

No i'm not. My only change is here to read and watch videos, like almost everyone else. I think that is stupid question cause i think you don't have to change to see most of European players and still you talk here and maybe put some of your on list's too??? :shakehead

ps. Thank's oldunclehue for your report those players.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
No i'm not. My only change is here to read and watch videos, like almost everyone else. I think that is stupid question cause i think you don't have to change to see most of European players and still you talk here and maybe put some of your on list's too??? :shakehead

ps. Thank's oldunclehue for your report those players.

How is it a stupid question to ask if you saw these players play? How do you expect anyone to take your ranking serious if you have not seen them play? Perhaps it is a language issue and I do not really understand you.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
How is it a stupid question to ask if you saw these players play? How do you expect anyone to take your ranking serious if you have not seen them play? Perhaps it is a language issue and I do not really understand you.
If its any help I saw both play a week ago and Roy was better all around. Pulock seemed a little better in the skating department and makes good smart passed.

Roy looked clumsy with the puck but was solid defensively and played in all situations. Plus he's got an awesome frame.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site

Ok, i already answer for your question! Have you seen all players who will draft to 2012 and 2013? If not, how anybody can be take seriously for your opinion those players?

If you think that way, you mean that almost no one here has not right to make lists and give opinions players who they haven't ever seen before. That way there it wouldn't be many threads either. Or maybe they have right's, but you can say everyone that they list's can't take seriously.

Most of people here is not pro-scouts and for me, amateur scouting goes like this, you don't have to chance to see all players, but you could have good list's still if you read, watch videos and look statistic's. Also watch games if you have a change for that. That way you can get good, not most best, but good opinions of players. That's why i think your question was stupid!

Atleast Roy has listed to 6'3 (Pulock is 6'1), he has lot of points, looks solid to defense and will trop the gloves also. I think his better, what i read and see and let's take this up in summer 2013 when we can really say who goes first Pulock or Roy.

Last edited:

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Ok, i already answer for your question! Have you seen all players who will draft to 2012 and 2013? If not, how anybody can be take seriously for your opinion those players? If you think that way, you mean that almost no one here has not right to make lists and give opinions players who they haven't ever seen before. That way there it wouldn't be many threads either. Or maybe they have right's, but you can say everyone that they list's can't take seriously.

Most of people here is not pro-scouts and for me, amateur scouting goes like this, you don't have to chance to see all players, but you could have good list's still if you read, watch videos and look statistic's. Also watch games if you have a change for that. That way you can get good, not most best, but good opinions of players. That's why i think your question was stupid!

Atleast Roy has listed to 6'3 (Pulock is 6'1), he has lot of points, looks solid to defense and will trop the gloves also. I think his better, what i read and see and let's take this up in summer 2013 when we can really say who goes first Pulock or Roy.

I only ever comment on players I have seen. Imop you cannot compare players based solely on what you read, stats and hilites. The reason I brought this up is because I have seen both Roy and Pulock the last 2 years and I prefer Ryan more and that is why I asked if you saw them play. I am sorry if I offended you it was not my intent.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
I only ever comment on players I have seen. Imop you cannot compare players based solely on what you read, stats and hilites. The reason I brought this up is because I have seen both Roy and Pulock the last 2 years and I prefer Ryan more and that is why I asked if you saw them play. I am sorry if I offended you it was not my intent.

Ok, yes it's of course more reliable comment's to players who we are seen, butif i want to do this kind of list i can't see all, i only can put it to list to information what i have. So yes, you are right for that cause i don't have to change to see every those players. I hope that someday we can see Finland more CHL-games so i have had better opinions to player's who i list. I like Canadian hockey and i hope there would be someday to tv-channel where you can see Hockey all over to world.

Now for you there Canada is a very good change to see best of Finnish players who will be drafted 2012 and 2013, only Teuvo Teräväinen is not there to our best's of 2012.

MBhockey1

Dec 18, 2011
Hockey rinks
IFK: Yes, Tanus is a forward who should be in the mix, too. I will try to catch some games from his team as the season will continue. His stats look good for a 16 year old player.

Hockeygeek22

Jun 11, 2011
1. Aleksander Barkov (Finland)
2. Max Domi (Canada)
3. Jordan Subban (Canada)
4. Tobias Liljendahl (Sweden)
5. Markus Søberg (Norway)
6. Jordan Maletta (Canada)

I think Aleksander Barkov is a potential number one pick. Liljendahl and Maletta to.. well see!

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
... Just as well add Oliver Björkstrand(Son of Todd and brother to Patrick). He's had a great start in the best Danish league this year.

Oliver Bjorkstrand noched 2 goals playing for Team Denmark at this year WJC. In the danish mens league he has 12g 8a in 25games. Very similar to the numbers of Vancouver Canucks prospect Nicklas Jensen, when he entered the league at the same age. Im excited to see which road he chooses the next couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad