2013 NHL Draft Thread IV (draft tracker post #1) (Mod note post #152)

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
Slovan just signed 19yo Richard Mraz from Ottawa 67's, it looks like a replacement for Dano. So Dano might go to AHL after all...

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
Dano preparing for the next season
o_marko_dano01.jpg

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007
I'll provide my thoughts on the draft, and some opinions from the team I was working with. I saw several of these guys in action. These are short, because I've got a busy day planned. I'll fill in more gaps later, I promise.

Wennberg - Loved the pick, and the consensus in the room was the same. No one had any concerns about his adaptability to the NHL, only his potential ceiling.

Rychel - I went into some detail on him previously, and this is a real boom or bust type of pick. Half the room thought he'd never get above the third line under any conditions, and the other half thought that the third line was his floor and that he had All-Star potential. The issues regarding coaching in Windsor are a variable that may be a huge red flag or might be a sign that his talent was being choked off.

Dano - Another boom or bust pick. I'd have gone for Zykov here and banked on Dano falling to the middle of the second round. Another divided room, only with more extremes on his floor and ceiling.

Heatherington - Didn't see him play, and only passingly listened when he was being discussed. Vaguely similar to Chris Bigras, who I liked.

Bjorkstrand - I tuned out when he was discussed, since my only viewing was on TV.

Moutrey - I actually lobbied hard for Moutrey with the team, as I think he's got serious upside and just needs ice time to really break through.

Soberg - Big-time upside here. And if not, it's a sixth-round pick.

Quenneville - Didn't see in action, and no real interest in him in the room.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'll provide my thoughts on the draft, and some opinions from the team I was working with. I saw several of these guys in action. These are short, because I've got a busy day planned. I'll fill in more gaps later, I promise.

Wennberg - Loved the pick, and the consensus in the room was the same. No one had any concerns about his adaptability to the NHL, only his potential ceiling.

Rychel - I went into some detail on him previously, and this is a real boom or bust type of pick. Half the room thought he'd never get above the third line under any conditions, and the other half thought that the third line was his floor and that he had All-Star potential. The issues regarding coaching in Windsor are a variable that may be a huge red flag or might be a sign that his talent was being choked off.

Dano - Another boom or bust pick. I'd have gone for Zykov here and banked on Dano falling to the middle of the second round. Another divided room, only with more extremes on his floor and ceiling.

Heatherington - Didn't see him play, and only passingly listened when he was being discussed. Vaguely similar to Chris Bigras, who I liked.

Bjorkstrand - I tuned out when he was discussed, since my only viewing was on TV.

Moutrey - I actually lobbied hard for Moutrey with the team, as I think he's got serious upside and just needs ice time to really break through.

Thanks for the update.Always great to hear from someone on the inside.

Couple of questions for when you have time:

Wennberg- No concerns about adapting to NHL only questions regarding his ceiling. If he is a finesse guy which I think is from what I've read, and he doesn't have top 6 as his ceiling and his floor, why take him? Or is the question 1st line vs 2nd?

Rychel - Can you expound a bit on what the coaching issues are?

Dano - I like your comments here. Although maybe they had Heatherington targeted for the 2nd round or they just liked Dano so much more than Zykov they couldn't risk not taking him?

Looking forward to whatever else you have to add.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Thanks for the update.Always great to hear from someone on the inside.

Couple of questions for when you have time:

Wennberg- No concerns about adapting to NHL only questions regarding his ceiling. If he is a finesse guy which I think is from what I've read, and he doesn't have top 6 as his ceiling and his floor, why take him? Or is the question 1st line vs 2nd?

Rychel - Can you expound a bit on what the coaching issues are?

Dano - I like your comments here. Although maybe they had Heatherington targeted for the 2nd round or they just liked Dano so much more than Zykov they couldn't risk not taking him?

Looking forward to whatever else you have to add.
If his WJC performance is somewhat accurate of his skill then we should be comparing him to the likes of Gaudreau, Tervanainen, Huberdeau, Miller and Scheifele. He was right in the mix with all those players with 9 points, only RNH(15), Armia (12), Granlund (12), and Tervanainen (11) had more points. And Dano was on a team that only won two games(Germany & Lotvia) in the tournament and he was one of the youngest kids on the his team. He's almost a 95, who really didn't have all star talent surrounding him like Canada, US and Russia had.
I know stats aren't everything but I would imagine JD and Kekla had another reason besides his stats to take him when they did. I like the kid, he does seem to have a temper though took some cheap penalties.

3-4 years from now

Anisimov - Johansen -Rychel
Dano - Wennberg - Atkinson
Eh? Eh?

thebus2288*

I like the kid, he does seem to have a temper though took some cheap penalties.

I remember watching some of the WJC games and i'm almost positive Dano was 1 of the guys I remember seeing knowing nothing about but thinking "WOW". I wanna say he really stood out against CAN even without the goals he scored.

In his WJC highlights on youtube dude got called on some weak **** a few times. Came inches from stripping the puck from Jones right in front of his goalie just before getting called for some hard stick lifts. I like his forecheck...the way he plays defensively looks a lot like Cam and Calvert and to me offensively he looks like a hybrid of the 2. Not quite as shifty as Calvert and his shot isn't on Atkinson's level yet, but close. On the subject of his temper and "cheap play/penalties" he does seem to get a little nasty sometimes, but I don't think its a negative, as long as he's 'smart' about it. Example #1 is in the last min of that video in the US game where he pops Kuraly right in the face "trying" to get around him. No call(I think). #2 is when he absolutely destroys Zharkov with that shot to the back of the head in an open area. Keeps his stick "in" by his body. No call. And his open ice hip check that u pretty much never see anymore is just icing on the cake. He's gotta teach Wiz some stuff before these Islander games coming up.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Interesting. The thoughts on Wennberg are identical to my own; I think he's going to play in the NHL as a second or third line center, but I believe that his offensive potential is slightly better than he gets credit for.

I liked our draft really from start to finish, even if I was higher on guys that we passed over (notably, Shinkaruk and Hartman) ... I think every player we took has legit NHL potential, which is something I've never felt before.

I think this was the case exactly. I'm sure we could have gotten Dano in the second round, but I think Heatherington is a guy that our staff really liked and didn't want to miss out on ... so we took Dano a little early and got both.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think this was the case exactly. I'm sure we could have gotten Dano in the second round, but I think Heatherington is a guy that our staff really liked and didn't want to miss out on ... so we took Dano a little early and got both.

What? Taking Dano early so we didn't miss out on Heatherington?

Didn't we slide down in the second round before taking Heatherington? If we slid down and we took him in the middle of the range he was expected to be drafted in, doesn't that indicate that Jarmo et.al. weren't that fixated on Heatherington?

It looks to me like they were really concerned with getting Dano just in case any other team was high on him. His low position on the consensus lists was little security that a team might want him.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
What? Taking Dano early so we didn't miss out on Heatherington?

Didn't we slide down in the second round before taking Heatherington? If we slid down and we took him in the middle of the range he was expected to be drafted in, doesn't that indicate that Jarmo et.al. weren't that fixated on Heatherington?

It looks to me like they were really concerned with getting Dano just in case any other team was high on him. His low position on the consensus lists was little security that a team might want him.

Yes.

But, you don't draft the guy you want at 27 (Dano) so you can draft him in the second round ... which means you miss out on the other guy you want (Heatherington) because you don't pick again until late in the third round.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm sure we could have gotten Dano in the second round, but I think Heatherington is a guy that our staff really liked and didn't want to miss out on ... so we took Dano a little early and got both.

I would have to think if they thought they could get Dano in the 2nd and wanted Heatherinton in the 2nd too they could have traded out of #27 for a 2nd and another 3rd. Then do it again, like they did, for Heatherington. Taking Dano at 27, if they were really high on him, tells me he was a 1st round grade for the CBJ.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I would have to think if they thought they could get Dano in the 2nd and wanted Heatherinton in the 2nd too they could have traded out of #27 for a 2nd and another 3rd. Then do it again, like they did, for Heatherington. Taking Dano at 27, if they were really high on him, tells me he was a 1st round grade for the CBJ.

They did that anyhow, remember: we came into the draft without a third round pick. They dealt the #44 pick down to #50 and picked up the #89 from Pittsburgh. And, I know I read that Jarmo had tried dealing up and down in the first round, but the market wasn't there.

He wanted both Dano and Heatherington, and knew that he wasn't going to get them unless he went early on Dano. I think it was slightly high, but I think it's questionable that Dano is there at 44 (if we kept that pick), and then we risk missing out on him. Would I have rather seen Hartman at 27? Absolutely ... But, we got the two players we wanted and picked up a third round pick. With the two picks being Heatherington and Bjorkstrand, I think we came away as winners.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

I'll admit I'm completely biased about Wennberg and I've only watched DIF games online (but I'm in Stockholm right now :) ) What impresses me about Wennberg is that he was able to put up points where ever he was in the DIF lineup with many different teammates. 32 points in 46 games in Allsvenskan is incredibly good for an 18 year old and it wasn't all due to his linemates. In fact, I think he was able to help his linemates more than they helped him. It's hard to gauge hockey sense, but Wennberg has it and he has speed and knows how to use it. He doesn't have the slick puck skills but rarely do those work in the NHL like they do juniors or Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00