2013 NHL Draft Thread IV (draft tracker post #1) (Mod note post #152)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
MOD:
CBJ HF First Roun Draft Tracker here courtesy EspenK.

1. Colorado Nathan MacKinnon
2. Florida Aleksander Barkov
3. Tampa Bay Jonathan Drouin
4. Nashville Seth Jones
5. Carolina Elias Lindholm
6. Calgary Sean Monahan
7. Edmonton Darnell Nurse
8. Buffalo Rasmus Ristolainen
9. Vancouver Bo Horvat
10. Dallas Valeri Nichuskin
11. Philadelphia Samuel Morin
12 Phoenix Max Domi
13. Winnipeg Josh Morrissey
14. BLUE JACKETS Alexander Wennberg
15. NY Islanders Ryan Pulock
16. Buffalo Nikita Zadorov
17. Ottawa Curtis Lazar
18. San Jose Mirco Mueller
19. BLUE JACKETS Kerby Rychel
20. Detroit Anthony Mantha
21. Toronto Frederik Gauthier
22. Calgary Emile Poirier
23. Washington Andre Burakovsky
24. Vancouver Hunter Shinkaruk
25. Montreal Michael McCarron
26. Anaheim Shea Theodore
27. BLUE JACKETS Marko Dano
28. Calgary Morgan Klimchuk
29. Dallas Jason Dickinson
30. Chicago Ryan Hartman

And there you have it folks. Trying to digest it but for sure I don't have to contain my enthusiasm.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Morreale's Mock
14.)Zykov(Domi at 15)
19.)Nastasiuk
27.)Hagg

Kimelmann

14.) Pulock(with Zykov at 15)
19.) Mueller
27.)Lazar

Definitely would not be taking 2 D in the first round. I understand the whole BPA thing but honestly we need to stock the forward cupboards a lot worse than the defensive side. Rychel, Nastasiuk, Erne, Wennberg and Lazar would all still be available instead of Mueller. And instead of Pulock we could have Domi or Zykov.

Domi/Zykov
Wennberg/Rychel/Nastasiuk
Erne/Lazar

Hoffner

14.)Hartman(with Bo at 15)
19.)Wennberg
27.)Klimchuck

with Zykov at 25 in Hoffners, would you move up 2 spots to get him? I don't know much about zykov but leading the Q in scoring as a rookie isn't a minor achievement.

My ideal draft would unfold like this (no trades involved)

Domi/Zykov
Wennberg/Rychel/Nastasiuk
Erne/Lazar

I really think we will make at least one move though. I really wish I could get one of those mosquito drones and fly into JK offices and listen to everything he says. :D

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
My ideal draft

14. Shinkaruk/Ristolainen/Horvat/Domi/Zykov
19. Mantha/Hartman/Lazar/Rychel
27. Lehkonen/Hartman

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
My ideal draft

14. Shinkaruk/Ristolainen/Horvat/Domi/Zykov
19. Mantha/Hartman/Lazar/Rychel
27. Lehkonen/Hartman

Only reason I didn't put shinkaruk in there is I really just don't think there is anyway he falls past 10. He is just too good.

And I always forget about Bo.

If it came down to Horvat, Domi, and Zykov at 14 who do you take? That really is a hard one. I guess it would depend on who you think you could get at 19, maybe even one of those players drops to 19. Who knows the mocks have been all over the place and the real boards behind closed doors probably look entirely different outside the top 6-8 players.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think the fact Shinkaruk fell to 14 on MacKenzie's list makes it very possible he falls to there or below.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Debating who will fall so we can consider them at 14 is silly. Just make a list.

This will be the last time before the draft that I have time, so here's my last CBJ draft list. Gaps between clusters.

1. Mackinnon
2. Jones
3. Drouin

4. Barkov
5. Lindholm

6. Monahan
7. Nichushkin

8. Ristolainen
9. Mantha
10. Pulock

11. Nurse
12. Shinkaruk
13. Domi
14. Horvat
15. Wennberg

16. Zykov
17. Gauthier
18. Lehkonen
19. Zadorov
20. Hartman
21. Rychel
22. Erne
23. Burakowsky
24. Petan
25. Lazar
26. Morrissey
27. Klimchuk
28. Hagg
29. Mueller
30. Bowey

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Debating who will fall so we can consider them at 14 is silly. Just make a list.

This will be the last time before the draft that I have time, so here's my last CBJ draft list. Gaps between clusters.

1. Mackinnon
2. Jones
3. Drouin

4. Barkov
5. Lindholm

6. Monahan
7. Nichushkin

8. Ristolainen
9. Mantha
10. Pulock

11. Nurse
12. Shinkaruk
13. Domi
14. Horvat
15. Wennberg

16. Zykov
17. Gauthier
18. Lehkonen
19. Zadorov
20. Hartman
21. Rychel
22. Erne
23. Burakowsky
24. Petan
25. Lazar
26. Morrissey
27. Klimchuk
28. Hagg
29. Mueller
30. Bowey

I think there are 2 different issues here. One is your desire to rank the players from 1-30.

The second is discussing/wishing about who may fall to 14 based on umpteen previous discussions of who is probably not going to be available at that spot based on the various mock drafts, prospect lists put together by scouts, writers, etc.

If we ranked them so that MacKinnon was 14th what exactly would that prove? Obviously he isn't going to fall but Shinkaruk might and that seems to me to be a valid point for discussion.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think there are 2 different issues here. One is your desire to rank the players from 1-30.

The second is discussing/wishing about who may fall to 14 based on umpteen previous discussions of who is probably not going to be available at that spot based on the various mock drafts, prospect lists put together by scouts, writers, etc.

If we ranked them so that MacKinnon was 14th what exactly would that prove? Obviously he isn't going to fall but Shinkaruk might and that seems to me to be a valid point for discussion.

I misspoke. Its not silly to talk about who might fall, its silly to talk about who we would take at 14 when we each individually have different ideas over who might be available.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shinkaruk is available. Actually outside of the top 7 any of them could be there at 14. That's why I'm really curious how y'all rank the following players:

8. Ristolainen
9. Mantha
10. Pulock

11. Nurse
12. Shinkaruk
13. Domi
14. Horvat
15. Wennberg

16. Zykov

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
In a few days we will know the answers

today it is just people guessing. If we could get Hunter Shinkaruk kid he will have fallen way down the board. Sounds good for us, but Angelo Espesito and others have fallen the last few years.. how has that worked out?

My question is if Shinkaruk(sp?) falls is it a size issue?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
today it is just people guessing. If we could get Hunter Shinkaruk kid he will have fallen way down the board. Sounds good for us, but Angelo Espesito and others have fallen the last few years.. how has that worked out?

Angelo Esposito is an extreme case ... there have been guys who have fallen, but gone on to quite productive careers.

The main concern(s) with Shinkaruk are, in fact, size, and some people question his commitment to exercise, staying in shape, and getting stronger. To clear those things up a little, Shinkaruk is 5'10", and listed at around 160 pounds. What is the concern there? Obviously, whether or not he can handle the rigors of physical play at the next level; and also whether or not he can continue to be a scorer at the next level. He has played 193 of a possible 216 games in his WHL career, so injuries aren't a concern for me really.

As for the getting into shape thing, I think it's absolutely something that can be coached and it's something he can learn. What you can't coach is hockey instinct, offensive vision, and competitiveness - all of these are things that Shinkaruk excels in. Some people thought his production dip this year was a sign of things to come - but he played 2 fewer games, and scored a whole whopping 5 fewer points. Essentially, he scored at an identical pace to what he did with Emerson Etem on the team a year before. And, his assist totals went up - an indication that he really used his teammates better without Etem.

If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of this guy. Yes, I get the concerns ... but I see so many similarities with Jordan Eberle at the same age that it's not even funny. People mention Tyler Ennis or Zach Boychuk as guys that are at the other end of the spectrum, but Shinkaruk's game is based less on speed and quickness, and more on vision and smarts - which is where a guy like Eberle separated himself from the rest of the pack. If this guy's there at 14 and we pass him up, it will be a curious decision.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Cam Atkinson says hi. Cam fell because of size, I think we all know how that played out..

Shinkaruk is a pretty strong player for his size.
He's #19 He absolutely lays out a kid at 42 seconds and then goes on to snipe Makarov for the first goal of the game.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Angelo Esposito is an extreme case ... there have been guys who have fallen, but gone on to quite productive careers.

The main concern(s) with Shinkaruk are, in fact, size, and some people question his commitment to exercise, staying in shape, and getting stronger. To clear those things up a little, Shinkaruk is 5'10", and listed at around 160 pounds. What is the concern there? Obviously, whether or not he can handle the rigors of physical play at the next level; and also whether or not he can continue to be a scorer at the next level. He has played 193 of a possible 216 games in his WHL career, so injuries aren't a concern for me really.

As for the getting into shape thing, I think it's absolutely something that can be coached and it's something he can learn. What you can't coach is hockey instinct, offensive vision, and competitiveness - all of these are things that Shinkaruk excels in. Some people thought his production dip this year was a sign of things to come - but he played 2 fewer games, and scored a whole whopping 5 fewer points. Essentially, he scored at an identical pace to what he did with Emerson Etem on the team a year before. And, his assist totals went up - an indication that he really used his teammates better without Etem.

If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of this guy. Yes, I get the concerns ... but I see so many similarities with Jordan Eberle at the same age that it's not even funny. People mention Tyler Ennis or Zach Boychuk as guys that are at the other end of the spectrum, but Shinkaruk's game is based less on speed and quickness, and more on vision and smarts - which is where a guy like Eberle separated himself from the rest of the pack. If this guy's there at 14 and we pass him up, it will be a curious decision.

With 11 rookies starting in the lineup. That says something about his drive, and hockey abilities.

some quotes that stuck out to me.

“That’s going to be my goal,†he says. “I feel like, with a lot of hard work, there’s no reason why I can’t do that. I got to stay focused on our team, that’s my main focus but every day I’m going to try to make sure that I can make the NHL next year.â€

“I think just getting a little stronger,†Shinkaruk says. “Obviously you’re going to have to go up against bigger D and you’re going to have to handle them down low. I feel like that is going to be the biggest thing but I work hard with my trainer every off-season. I don’t feel like that is something that will hold me back, it just pushes me.â€

The character that JD and Jk are looking for..

Shinkaruk says that he admires Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby, as you can imagine a lot of young players do. For Shinkaruk, he admires Crosby for more than just his game, he admires him for the other intangibles he brings.

“He’s a great player,†he says. “He’s dominant but he’s a good person in the community and a good leader for his team. Those are things away from the rink that I try to get involved in.â€

Shinkaruk is a very confident player and watching him on the ice you can see the joy he has playing the game. That is most evident in his elaborate celebrations after scoring goals. While there is an old school faction in hockey that doesn’t like celebrations (we’re looking at you Don Cherry), for Shinkaruk it is just a way to express the joy of the game.

“I watched a Daniel Briere interview once and a lot of people say act like you’ve been there before and he said ‘I’m going to celebrate like it’s the last goal I’m ever going to score’ so when I score I want to make sure I enjoy it because there’s not many things I love more than scoring,†he says.

Kid has the passion, the will, the character, but most importantly he can straight up play with the best of them.

Last edited:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
With 11 rookies starting in the lineup. That says something about his drive, and hockey abilities.

some quotes that stuck out to me...

...Kid has the passion, the will, the character, but most importantly he can straight up play with the best of them.

Thanks for the quotes!

He's proven to be a consistent performer on every stage, in every age group ... he's proven that he can be productive with or without talent around him. That alone speaks a lot about a young player's personality.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I misspoke. Its not silly to talk about who might fall, its silly to talk about who we would take at 14 when we each individually have different ideas over who might be available.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shinkaruk is available. Actually outside of the top 7 any of them could be there at 14. That's why I'm really curious how y'all rank the following players:

8. Ristolainen
9. Mantha
10. Pulock

11. Nurse
12. Shinkaruk
13. Domi
14. Horvat
15. Wennberg

16. Zykov

Um, isn't this just your list of who might be available at 14, your individual idea of who might be available?

Dutchess

Jan 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Jackets Draft Preview

I was going to post this in the draft thread but it got locked -- TFC's look at the Jackets and who they could take. If you guys land Shinkaruk, he might be the scoring piece to put you guys over the edge.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I was going to post this in the draft thread but it got locked -- TFC's look at the Jackets and who they could take. If you guys land Shinkaruk, he might be the scoring piece to put you guys over the edge.

Not a bad read, but Shinkaruk.... With our second pick?!?!? I'd be ecstatic...

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH

Not a bad read, but Shinkaruk.... With our second pick?!?!? I'd be ecstatic...

If we're really, really lucky he's there at 14, or we move up to get him. At 19, it's just not going to happen.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Um, isn't this just your list of who might be available at 14, your individual idea of who might be available?

Ummm, maybe you got me. I was thinking that a longer list of who might be available at 14 would be more productive than each coming up with an ideal 14th pick, where someone picks Wennberg, someone Shinkaruk, the next person says Shinkaruk won't be there, etc... I'd also like to see how people rank them.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
OK guys, when the time comes, post who you want here. I'll yell the consensus pick down to Jarmo! LOL

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3