2013 NHL Draft Thread IV (draft tracker post #1) (Mod note post #152)

ConoR187

Aug 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
is dano 212 lbs or 178? its listed different on TV and nhl.com, but he looked built and not fat. if hes 212 that would make him one of the strongest on the team for his size and maybe a sleeper to make the team or at least 9 games

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
is dano 212 lbs or 178? its listed different on TV and nhl.com, but he looked built and not fat. if hes 212 that would make him one of the strongest on the team for his size and maybe a sleeper to make the team or at least 9 games

KHL says 200, tsn said 212, a Slovak poster said 214 and most sites say 183 :laugh:. I'm gonna guess he's atleast 200 and from what i've read everything leads me to believe he is Leo Komarov with skill. Not sure how his offensive will grow and carry over but when he's played as a scorer he steps up. I've read some people really believe he can be that sleeper that can surprise and make the team

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Closer to the 212 range.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
thats huge for 5'11

definitely could see him making the team.. however i dont want him to turn in to a dorsett playing 4th line minutes so maybe 9 games would be best

I think he'll spend another year overseas, and then be brought over full-time next year. Likely some time in the AHL, with spot duty on the big club.

Let's face it -a guy drafted in the bottom of the first round (rated by man in the late second/early third round) is not NHL ready, if you want him to develop completely into the player you envision him being. Have to give him some time, let him get his game rounded out, get his confidence up, then allow him to adjust to the North American game.

It takes time.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
This is what Slovan's GM (Dano's KHL club) had to say: "We have an agreement that if Marko makes the first team from camp, we will release him. If they send him to AHL or juniors, he will come back to Slovan." So I guess no AHL.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
This is what Slovan's GM (Dano's KHL club) had to say: "We have an agreement that if Marko makes the first team from camp, we will release him. If they send him to AHL or juniors, he will come back to Slovan." So I guess no AHL.
Bottom 6 role and not much of ice time in KHL versus Top-6 role in AHL with lots of ice time :help:

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia

From yesterday's interview: "I had a clause in my contract, that I can go to NA. And because I was drafted in the first round, it would be a pity if I won't try it overseas, to get closer to the NHL. So I think, that next season I will be in NA. I hope that going to NA won't be a problem for Slovan and they will meet me halfway."

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Uh oh, could be a Filatov situation again. (In terms of getting him out of his KHL contract)

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
From yesterday's interview: "I had a clause in my contract, that I can go to NA. And because I was drafted in the first round, it would be a pity if I won't try it overseas, to get closer to the NHL. So I think, that next season I will be in NA. I hope that going to NA won't be a problem for Slovan and they will meet me halfway."
Well that's more promising. Ball is now in Slovan's hands.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Interesting conversation on Dano. I have no expectation he will be remotely ready for the NHL. Having said that I have no idea how much ice time he would even get with our AHL team.

I'm not worried about the contract situation. We'll let the lawyers deal with the out-clause details. It might be something silly to get around it by giving him a few game at the NHL level and then send him down.

I'm not going to worry about this. What I do know is that I'm excited to see him in camp as I am with all our new toys as well as some of our older toys (like Jenner).

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
Interesting conversation on Dano. I have no expectation he will be remotely ready for the NHL. Having said that I have no idea how much ice time he would even get with our AHL team.

I'm not worried about the contract situation. We'll let the lawyers deal with the out-clause details. It might be something silly to get around it by giving him a few game at the NHL level and then send him down.

I'm not going to worry about this. What I do know is that I'm excited to see him in camp as I am with all our new toys as well as some of our older toys (like Jenner).

This is what I thought... Slovan's GM talked only about making the first team, nothing about one-way contract. Columbus might "trick" Slovan by letting Dano play one or two games and then sending him down...

Whatever the outcome, trust me when I say that he is the most NHL-ready guy out of all your draft picks. Consider him a steal. I wish him luck, NHL or KHL (AHL would be a waste of his talent...)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Whatever the outcome, trust me when I say that he is the most NHL-ready guy out of all your draft picks. Consider him a steal. I wish him luck, NHL or KHL (AHL would be a waste of his talent...)

I was shocked when we picked him, in a good way. I'll take your word on readiness until we see more of him at our camps later. But even the most ready doesn't mean he's close to ready.

As far as the AHL, I would back off your claims a bit. Our AHL team did a great job of developing our players last season with our system, the players that came up produced. They earned their ice time and they contributed. If he's over in the KHL, he's not earning his ice time in NA.

One of the issues I have with Euro players is that it seems the longer they stay overseas "developing", the less likely it becomes you will ever see them in the NHL.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
As far as the AHL, I would back off your claims a bit. Our AHL team did a great job of developing our players last season with our system, the players that came up produced. They earned their ice time and they contributed.

This still sounds weird to say/know about the CBJ organization. Happy for it, of course, and your points about Dano are good. I won't fuss over where he spends the coming season, KHL v AHL.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I'd actually rather see Dano in the KHL if he doesn't make our team. He'd likely get more ice time, and can grow his game more. I also want to see him at the WJC.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
I have no real knowledge of Dano other than what I have read in the last day, but that has made me believe he would be a Brad Larsen kind of guy and would get a ton of time in SPR.

Larsen really seems to get the best out of his players. We are very fortunate to have him there. Got to think after this year, if he has the same kind of success, his star will be on the rise and asst slot in the NHL might be his. Not sure what the usual career path is, continuing as AHL head coach or NHL asst, but he certainly seems to be on his way.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I really think they are grooming Larsen to be the CBJ HC after Richards deal expires. If Richards is doing good the great, put Larse on the NHL staff.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Here's a good 5 minute video of Wennberg at the U20's last year. I'm really liking this guy, and another year in the Swedish Professional league should put him in a position to challenge for a spot in 2014. I see some Anisimov in his game, solid 2 way forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hzRaJNl6Us

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It hasn't worked to bring any Euro prospect over to the AHL and have them develop, especially offensive skill. It's too easy for them to cherry pick like Filatov if they are superior skaters and coaches tend to want to win, not let struggling players play.

Niclas Bergfors is a good example. He played in the AHL as an 18 year old, never could progress into a solid NHLer and is now in the KHL.

If Dano (or Wennberg or Rychel) has a good pre-season, then maybe give them a taste of the NHL and then send them back. I'm not sure what the rules are with when Dano would need to be sent back to the KHL. But he's better off there being a top line player and developing before having to make the big transition.

Moving to a new country at 18 is hard enough. Add to that learning to play a different style of hockey and probably living on their own for the first time. It's just doesn't work.

The Jackets need to take the Wings approach and let players have time to develop.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm sure you guys have learned a lot about Rychel already, so I won't touch on that (unless you want me to), but I thought I'd come bearing some info on Nick Moutrey.

I had him rated as the 16th best OHL prospect available this year.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2013_26.html

I think he was a great selection where you guys got him. Underrated offensive ability.

Good read, thanks, but I have to ask, why do people always say "great vision, especially for a big man". Why would being big inherent mean you have worse vision on the ice? If anything, a taller player should have more clear peripheral vision.

Just some feedback, not trying to pick a good write up apart.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I'm sure you guys have learned a lot about Rychel already, so I won't touch on that (unless you want me to), but I thought I'd come bearing some info on Nick Moutrey.

I had him rated as the 16th best OHL prospect available this year.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2013_26.html

I think he was a great selection where you guys got him. Underrated offensive ability.

Just the fact that his cat has twitter AND tweets regularly has amused me greatly.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Good read, thanks, but I have to ask, why do people always say "great vision, especially for a big man". Why would being big inherent mean you have worse vision on the ice? If anything, a taller player should have more clear peripheral vision.

Just some feedback, not trying to pick a good write up apart.

I think there's a tendency to see someone big who can play well as possibly being able to do it because of being more physically mature. Someone who's huge can simply steamroll his opponent in junior hockey, which isn't going to fly in the NHL. There's about 30 first-rounders from 1996-2000 whose poor pro careers prove that.

Now as far as the qualifier of "especially for a big man", it may just be related to the stereotype that physical size is inversely related to intelligence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad