2013 NHL Draft Thread II (6/30, 3PM EDT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Well, it sort of looks like there may be at least 2 upsets in the 1st round if I were to guess. If that happens, the picks would actually then be between 14-20. The NYR pick would be mid way in between if I were to guess.

If one or more of the teams picking ahead of the Rangers advances to the Conference Finals or the Cup Finals, then the Rangers or Kings pick only moves up. Wouldn't that be fun? We should all be cheering for the teams like NYI, OTT, SJ, DET, and MIN to advance ... though in at least two of those circumstances, the chance is very bleak.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Well, it sort of looks like there may be at least 2 upsets in the 1st round if I were to guess. If that happens, the picks would actually then be between 14-20. The NYR pick would be mid way in between if I were to guess.

IIRC the reseeding of the draft happens with the conference finalists going to the 27th through 30th spots, and the division winners in the spots leading up to 27th. So the teams behind the Rangers and Kings in the regular season standings would have to go the conference finals for the Rangers and Kings picks to be lowered.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
If one or more of the teams picking ahead of the Rangers advances to the Conference Finals or the Cup Finals, then the Rangers or Kings pick only moves up. Wouldn't that be fun? We should all be cheering for the teams like NYI, OTT, SJ, DET, and MIN to advance ... though in at least two of those circumstances, the chance is very bleak.

Exactly right. I thought about this yesterday. Wild might be done but those other teams have a chance.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010

Too busy hoping they get swept.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH

I just can't, just can't cheer, pull for, or support in any fashion DET or MIN. No way no how.

Besides in this draft thie differnce in one or two slots in the 20 - 22 range probably isn't going to be huge.

Sorry for my lack of TROO fan hood.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I just can't, just can't cheer, pull for, or support in any fashion DET or MIN. No way no how.

Besides in this draft thie differnce in one or two slots in the 20 - 22 range probably isn't going to be huge.

Sorry for my lack of TROO fan hood.

The only difference it could make is if a team right ahead of us take a guy we really want. I would agree that in that range it is probably a crap shoot.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Asked of The Hockey News Ryan Kennedy:
Who are the best winger prospects likely to still be available mid-to-late first round?

His response:
Alexander Wennberg plays center and wing; Kerby Rychel's gonna be great, Artturi Lehkonen intriguing too.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
IIRC the reseeding of the draft happens with the conference finalists going to the 27th through 30th spots, and the division winners in the spots leading up to 27th. So the teams behind the Rangers and Kings in the regular season standings would have to go the conference finals for the Rangers and Kings picks to be lowered.

My mistake. I also miscounted the seedings assuming that Vancouver and another team were ranked ahead of them and was ahead and they actually have the 24th pick. Stll 3 picks in a 10 pick range is not too shabby.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Shifting gears (and attention) away from the Ryan Murray discussion, which, seriously, is getting old.

Craig Button released his annual homerish mock draft today ... essentially, it's just another update of his draft rankings, as he doesn't seem to base this on anything other than all 14 teams taking the "BPA"...

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=93427

Notably, the top 5 is probably pretty accurate. After that, I see Lindholm - not Monahan - going to Calgary at 6, and there's no way I see Edmonton taking a forward with their pick ... I think it either gets dealt for immediate defense help, they stay pat and take a defenseman, or deal down and take a defenseman. Also, he has Samuel Morin going to the Flyers at number 12, and the Jackets taking defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen at 14. If Ristolainen falls, that's great, I'm a big fan ... but I don't see us taking him over a forward at that position.

I would be happy with that pick, but I would also be happy with us taking a few of the forwards who would still be available.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
But we have to have a franchise #1C like MacKinnon is we ever want to win a championship :sarcasm:

Or a lot of good LW and RW to go with good to very good C's. Obviously, it would be great to have an elite C, but at least we have 3 good to very good C's in that scenario.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Would never happen, nor would I see reason to attempt it. We could stand pat and still have a guy like Shinkaruk fall to us, who could end up being as productive as MacKinnon in the NHL - there are just more question marks with Shinkaruk. May as well keep the better defenseman (Murray) and retain more assets.

Worship is a very strong word. More like having a level of respect for a guy who has captained his team for three years, and is the best prospect this team has had on defense since a guy named Klesla.

That is how I look at things. I would rather have Murray and the players we could draft with our picks than MacKinnon, +.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Curious question from an incoming Oilers fan!

Everyone in Edmonton has a big crush on Curtis Lazar, but we recognize that our 7th overall could be put to better use. What would a realistic package be for your 14th overall?

Would thinking with Ales Hemsky be in the right direction, or am I off the pulse with what you guys are looking for to next season?

Not sure how many times Blue Jackets fans have to say this, but we don't want Hemsky.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Simple question:
If Murray was in the draft this year and we had pick 2 who would you take? Assume Jones goes first.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Simple question:
If Murray was in the draft this year and we had pick 2 who would you take? Assume Jones goes first.

Murray or MacKinnon. The problem with this debate, IMO, is that it isn't a one for one. We would have to add to Murray to get MacKinnon.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I know its a discussion but can we put to bed the Murray for Mackinnon talk. Its not going to happen.

Actually hold on, let me get my crystal ball....

nope, yep, no Mackinnon in CBJ's future.

Ask yourself this question, if we had the #2 pick, and someone wanted to trade you for it, what would you want in return?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I know its a discussion but can we put to bed the Murray for Mackinnon talk. Its not going to happen.

Ask yourself this question, if we had the #2 pick, and someone wanted to trade you for it, what would you want in return?

wow...do you have the lottery numbers too? :shakehead

your arguement holds little water...its about needs...for example, tampa needs Def, not another forward...they would be open to trading that pick for defense...now the exact return...who knows...but to say its flat out not gonna happen, you just can't say it...we don't know that one way or other...

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

your arguement holds little water...its about needs...for example, tampa needs Def, not another forward...they would be open to trading that pick for defense...now the exact return...who knows...but to say its flat out not gonna happen, you just can't say it...we don't know that one way or other...

Exactly, its about needs. We dont NEED a center. We have 3 guys who have proven they can excel taking #1C minutes. Or rotating them, it worked pretty well last year. Do we need some help scoring yes, but that doesnt mean we NEED a top 3 pick to make that happen.

We can VERY easily fill our needs by using our 3 picks and not signing any FA what so ever. Will that happen no, I see a trade or two happening, nothing MAJOR, maybe a free agent signing. But I highly doubt any major changes happen after last year.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Simple question:

Mackinnon, or Drouin if I've had a beer.

Murray or MacKinnon. The problem with this debate, IMO, is that it isn't a one for one. We would have to add to Murray to get MacKinnon.

And the plus would be significant.

I don't know how much the plus would have to be, or if it would be significant, or if this deal is plausible inside the minds of Steve Yzerman or Jarmo Kekalainen. All I can say is looking at the needs of these two teams there is a deal there to be made that would make both clubs better off.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

your arguement holds little water
...its about needs...for example, tampa needs Def, not another forward...they would be open to trading that pick for defense...now the exact return...who knows...but to say its flat out not gonna happen, you just can't say it...we don't know that one way or other...

The same could be said about the argument to trade Ryan Murray ... unless any of you know Jarmo Kekalainen personally, and have heard such...

To answer the relevant question, if we held the #2 pick, and had to choose between Murray and MacKinnon - for this franchise, in the situation it's in, it would be MacKinnon. Though, the gap isn't as big as some may assume right off ... Murray is a hell of a hockey player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad