2013 NHL Draft Thread II (6/30, 3PM EDT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I still contend the CBJ ends up with a big haul regardless of where their picks fall. It looks like 4 picks in the top 31 (or 30 if Devils pass). I'm quite certain we end up with a top 4 pick and hope for McKinnon but Drouin, Jones or Barkov would work for me. I also hold out hope one of the later picks nabs Nichushkin. Something about that kid I really like. I'm OK if he stays in Russia for another year or two also.

A lot to like in this draft and we'll add another 2nd or 3rd this year....

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I still contend the CBJ ends up with a big haul regardless of where their picks fall. It looks like 4 picks in the top 31 (or 30 if Devils pass). I'm quite certain we end up with a top 4 pick and hope for McKinnon but Drouin, Jones or Barkov would work for me.

No reason we can't come away with 4-5 quality NHL players from this draft. Potentially, I think we could land two top line guys, if we play our cards right.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
No reason we can't come away with 4-5 quality NHL players from this draft. Potentially, I think we could land two top line guys, if we play our cards right.

Hey SL, where do you think Johansen would rank among this years draft class? I posed the question earlier, but I'm really beginning to fear for his development. I'm wondering if packaging Johansen for a guy like Barkov could be a smart move given that the young forwards will have essentially no way to play protected minutes with the depleted forward corps we have for the foreseeable future.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Hey SL, where do you think Johansen would rank among this years draft class? I posed the question earlier, but I'm really beginning to fear for his development. I'm wondering if packaging Johansen for a guy like Barkov could be a smart move given that the young forwards will have essentially no way to play protected minutes with the depleted forward corps we have for the foreseeable future.

I don't think Ryan Johansen would be enough to get into that range to select a guy like Barkov. A team picking 3rd/4th overall isn't going to want to deal down, away from that type of player, in exchange for a guy like Johansen (even if combined with another first round pick). What I see in Barkov is a guy that could be a very serviceable top-2 center, a "20 year" guy with whichever team selects him, because he does so much so well. With Johansen, I still like the development path, and I still think he has the potential to be a top-line center; but we've already wasted two years of his ELC watching his minutes get juggled, and it's a stretch to say that he'll get to the level that we hoped when we drafted him. I call it the "EA Sports NHL Theory" personally ... I always hear about these sort of trades, where the belief is that teams will deal down 10-15 spots if there's another prospect thrown in, but it rarely happens. For us to land in that range and select a guy like Barkov, we're going to have to give up another major piece - a Jack Johnson, for example. Teams just don't want to give up the chance to pick franchise guys in the newer, cap-oriented NHL. They understand that building at the draft is their only way to success, and to land a guy like Aleksander Barkov might mean all the difference for them.

All that being said, be patient with Ryan Johansen. Personally, I thought he was one of the team's best forwards early in the season, and I really what I've seen. If you put this guy on a line with two skilled wingers, I really believe the sky is the limit - people can say what they want about him not putting up numbers, but fact of the matter is, outside of maybe Mark Letestu, nobody is putting up the numbers that were "expected" of them, so I feel that singling him out is unfair. I also think that sending him down to the AHL was more of a method of giving him the opportunity to get his offensive mojo back than it was an indicator of his play.

To answer your original question, I think that the 18-year old Ryan Johansen that we drafted would go somewhere in the 10-12 range of this draft, around guys like Pulock, Shinkaruk, Erne, Nurse, etc.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Potentially, we could draft 10 top line players. The probability is what matters. In a previous post I calculated the probability at 45% that we draft two top line forwards in the first round if we draft all forwards. 95% chance of getting at least one top liner, and a 10% chance of getting an entire first line. Combine that with later round picks and I'd say our chances at two top line guys is a bit over 50%.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Potentially, we could draft 10 top line players. The probability is what matters. In a previous post I calculated the probability at 45% that we draft two top line forwards in the first round if we draft all forwards. 95% chance of getting at least one top liner, and a 10% chance of getting an entire first line. Combine that with later round picks and I'd say our chances at two top line guys is a bit over 50%.
...so maybe we lost last year's 50-50 chance at the draft so we could win this one? :D

Looking for hope in all the wrong places...

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
To be honest, when I read stuff like "He always has caffeine in his hands", including soda, I start to get concerned.

Why? When I was in HS and the first few years of college I would drink pop all of the time. When I was 21 I realized it was bad for me and quit. I haven't drank a pop in 11 years now. Hopefully when he gets to professional hockey he will learn about nutrition and eating/drinking right and won't drink as much pop as he does now.

BTW, I am pretty sure Billy Hamilton of the Reds drinks a lot of Mountain Dew. He just happens to be the fastest player in baseball and just broke the SB record in the minor leagues.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
To be honest, when I read stuff like "He always has caffeine in his hands", including soda, I start to get concerned.

That's where our scouting comes into play, little things like that. Also I'm sure once he is in a nhl system whoever drafts him will put a quick end to that. Look what joey did in one offseason. Imagine him doing that.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
As I watched the CBJ vs. Stars game last night I think I finally got a clear glimpse of what hockey IQ and speed of the game means to the CBJ. We looked slow. I think much of that was due to so many young and/or new players in the lineup. Thinking rather than reacting. However, I also don't know how much "hockey IQ" we have to help the team game speed up.

My point is, I think we need players that can SEE the game as it happens. Several have commented that Johansen has this ability, I believe Brass does too. Others, I'm not sure. Adding a few (several: :)) skilled, intelligent players would really make me happy. From what I've read, this draft appears to have several players that fit the bill, including competitive and physical speed. I'm excited to see how this all plays out. Right now we have pick 1, 9 and 13. While I don't expect that to remain the case I think that would be a great way to start the JK era.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
As I watched the CBJ vs. Stars game last night I think I finally got a clear glimpse of what hockey IQ and speed of the game means to the CBJ. We looked slow. I think much of that was due to so many young and/or new players in the lineup. Thinking rather than reacting. However, I also don't know how much "hockey IQ" we have to help the team game speed up.

My point is, I think we need players that can SEE the game as it happens. Several have commented that Johansen has this ability, I believe Brass does too. Others, I'm not sure. Adding a few (several: :)) skilled, intelligent players would really make me happy. From what I've read, this draft appears to have several players that fit the bill, including competitive and physical speed. I'm excited to see how this all plays out. Right now we have pick 1, 9 and 13. While I don't expect that to remain the case I think that would be a great way to start the JK era.
We can only imagine if we had 3 lottery picks. The boards will explode if we have the 1st pick and LA/NYR win the lottery... I can't wait :D

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Been thinking about it, and man, the top 4 players in this draft have almost become indiscernible as far as rank. I really want 2 top 4 picks dammit :laugh:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Ludicrous Speed said:
I really want 2 top 4 picks dammit

"With the second and third pick in the 2013 NHL Entry draft, the Columbus Blue Jackets are proud to select.... from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League's Halifax Mooseheads..."

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

A lot of prospects are like that. Rocco Grimaldi used to tweet what he was eating, and it was stuff like a list of food from Dairy Queen followed by #stillhungry and a list of stuff from McDonalds. And Rocco is a midget.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
A lot of prospects are like that. Rocco Grimaldi used to tweet what he was eating, and it was stuff like a list of food from Dairy Queen followed by #stillhungry and a list of stuff from McDonalds. And Rocco is a midget.

Yeah, I don't doubt that. I figure that is the norm. They need those issues resolved quickly. These kids are probably traveling a lot with limited time and budget.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Voracek had one of the highest body fat percentage at the Combine his draft year, and that definitely was a sign of a problem. The usual assumption is that players that are out of shape have that much more potential once they get a trainer and fix their diet. However, conditioning has continued to be a struggle for Jake, even with the Flyers.

On the other side, Stefan Legein was a fitness freak and poster-child for the fitness facility he worked out at on how a smaller guy could work his way to the 2nd round in the draft, and he ended up burn out and working at a pizza joint.

So, there's got to be a balance.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
4-5?

I think that is overly optimistic.

Maybe.

But, I have faith in our new management, and we will have four picks in the top 35 of this draft. Until I'm proven wrong, we'll agree to disagree ;)

Seth Jones recently moved into fourth overall for scoring by WHL defenders. His 47 points sitting behind only Spokane's Brenden Kichton (70pts), Seth's own teammate Troy Rutkowski (58), and Saskatoon's Darren Dietz (48). Of note, eligbles Shea Theodore (Seattle, 45pts), Ryan Pulock (Brandon, 43) and Josh Morrissey (Prince Albert, 43) sit 7th and tied 9th overall, respectively.

Just goes to show the quality of depth in this draft. While some of these guys come with various question marks, the level of talent is very good, and it shouldn't be hard to find some steals in the late first/early second round ... especially with Jarmo leading the way.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I don't think Ryan Johansen would be enough to get into that range to select a guy like Barkov. A team picking 3rd/4th overall isn't going to want to deal down, away from that type of player, in exchange for a guy like Johansen (even if combined with another first round pick). What I see in Barkov is a guy that could be a very serviceable top-2 center, a "20 year" guy with whichever team selects him, because he does so much so well.

except he is 17 and already looks the biggest guy on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad