2013 NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Watching the playoffs (for the last 4 years, even), I'm starting to think more about the premise of taking Barkov. Each of the last 4 cup winners have one of those amazing 2-way centermen (Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, and then Toews or Bergeron again) and those teams all have one of those stonewall defensive/PK lines that fills up the scoresheet as well. I can't think of anything "harder" to play against than one of those units, and Cooper has spent a lot of time talking about getting "harder" to play against.

Can't help but wonder if a pick like Barkov, giving us a pure scoring line (Stamkos line) and a piss and vinegar 2-way line (Barkov line), might help maximize this team's potential long-term. Imagine a line of Namestnikov-Barkov-Panik. They'd light the lamp while beating you up.

If SYs intention is to draft Barkov (assuming Mac and Jones are gone) and he thinks Drouin and Barkov are very close I would go over to the Nashville table and look what they would offer to get Barkov instead of us. Could net us a good pick (2nd roudner?) or solid defender (bottom 4 of course)

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
It's interesting because half the reports claim that Barkov is a good skater, while the other half claim it's his weakness that he needs work on. From the limited viewings I've had, it didn't seem like a big issue but his foot speed is nothing to write home about either.

Anyway, you make an excellent point. Not being able to rely on your speed early on in your development generally makes you a better player in the long run, especially when you start getting older and inevitably start to lose a step. Barkov also seems to be willing to battle along the boards for the puck and create from the high traffic areas, which is something we can always benefit from (considering all the skill players we already have).

Kucherov on Barkov's wing could work wonders for us down the road.
From what i've seen, I think a lot of the people talking about it are blowing it way out of proportion. He needs a little more work (efficiency) in his stride, but other than that, hes got good balance. If we don't get him, someone is getting a stud in Barkov and I think Nashville will scoop him right up.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Watching the playoffs (for the last 4 years, even), I'm starting to think more about the premise of taking Barkov. Each of the last 4 cup winners have one of those amazing 2-way centermen (Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, and then Toews or Bergeron again) and those teams all have one of those stonewall defensive/PK lines that fills up the scoresheet as well. I can't think of anything "harder" to play against than one of those units, and Cooper has spent a lot of time talking about getting "harder" to play against.

Can't help but wonder if a pick like Barkov, giving us a pure scoring line (Stamkos line) and a piss and vinegar 2-way line (Barkov line), might help maximize this team's potential long-term. Imagine a line of Namestnikov-Barkov-Panik. They'd light the lamp while beating you up.

:laugh: You had to know with my maturity level that I wouldn't be able to resist.

I do agree though, every SC contending team needs a shutdown C to line-up against the other team's top lines. Not to say Nate isn't great at what he does, but he's a far cry from Bergeron, J.Staal, Kopitar/Richards, Zetterberg/Datsyuk, Toews, Kesler etc.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
:laugh: You had to know with my maturity level that I wouldn't be able to resist.

I do agree though, every SC contending team needs a shutdown C to line-up against the other team's top lines. Not to say Nate isn't great at what he does, but he's a far cry from Bergeron, J.Staal, Kopitar/Richards, Zetterberg/Datsyuk, Toews, Kesler etc.

Well, we either want to get harder or we want the D(rouin). Makes sense to me :laugh:

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
If SYs intention is to draft Barkov (assuming Mac and Jones are gone) and he thinks Drouin and Barkov are very close I would go over to the Nashville table and look what they would offer to get Barkov instead of us. Could net us a good pick (2nd roudner?) or solid defender (bottom 4 of course)

The scenario then becomes we tell Nashville we'll take Barkov unless they trade up for him. Interesting proposition for sure, we'd basically be strong arming them into giving up an extra pick to draft one slot earlier. I'd assume the cost to move from fourth to third would be their pick and at most, an additional 3rd.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Why did I go to the trade boards today? WHY WHY WHY?

**** the Leafs. I hate that ****ing franchise.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

This is a very valid point. The amount of offensive depth that we have on the farm is good. Some may be traded away, but we aren't exactly hurting for it. Defense is where we are hurting most. And what do we know? Defense wins championships (Offense apparently gets you in the basement :sarcasm: ). I would be very happy with either Drouin or Barkov, as they both make sense. Drouin feeds Stamkos for the future, or Barkov shuts down other lines, yet still scores for the future. Both very enticing. I'm glad I don't have to choose. But like Jacko said, perhaps SFY will see what Nashville offers.

All of the latest championship teams have elite two-way centers. No denying it. Think how awesome we would be with a Bergeron or a Datsyuk. But also think of how good we will be with another Marty feeding Stamkos with a much better defense.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
We should draft Barkov just so I can use the "(player name) is barking up the wrong tree." line.

I suppose I could still use the line with Drouin, but it just wouldn't be the same.

HedMonster 77

Feb 24, 2012
we need to draft a player that can make the players around him better. A player that has size and can be effective without Stamkos, Marty, or Vinny. For me its between Barkov and Nichushkin, if SFY trades back i would love Lindholm.

HotPaquette

Apr 7, 2012
Sarasota, Fl
we need to draft a player that can make the players around him better. A player that has size and can be effective without Stamkos, Marty, or Vinny. For me its between Barkov and Nichushkin, if SFY trades back i would love Lindholm.

This, I would personally take Barkov big, skilled, two way centers with size are very hard to come by and is one of our pressing needs right now in my opinion. Yes Johnson is a good player I wont disagree with that but he is just flat out to small in my opinion and we need a better option at 3c.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Wait what? Before the draft?
Not until after he's drafted.

Mark Gandler had said a little while back around the combine that the team that drafts him would know the ins and outs of his contract with Dynamo. This is just the league talking with the KHL to find that information before the draft.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Last edited:

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
Is it just me or is the premise of Seth Jones falling to 3 gaining steam? I'm really starting to think Colorado might want MacKinnon, needs and storylines be damned. If so, Florida, who needs everything, is a total wildcard. I don't think Jones falls to 3, but it seems a lot more likely now than it did a few weeks ago.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
The scenario then becomes we tell Nashville we'll take Barkov unless they trade up for him. Interesting proposition for sure, we'd basically be strong arming them into giving up an extra pick to draft one slot earlier. I'd assume the cost to move from fourth to third would be their pick and at most, an additional 3rd.

I was thinking of a scenario where TB trades the 3rd for the 5th and pick up another asset and Nichushkin would be available at that pick. I have convinced myself that the Coyotes have a trade with Carolina to move up to the 5th pick lined up, but they would prefer Barkov over Lindholm. I imagine that Nashville would then draft Drouin. I was just wondering if this could be a possibility, even if it does seem remote?

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I was thinking of a scenario where TB trades the 3rd for the 5th and pick up another asset and Nichushkin would be available at that pick. I have convinced myself that the Coyotes have a trade with Carolina to move up to the 5th pick lined up, but they would prefer Barkov over Lindholm. I imagine that Nashville would then draft Drouin. I was just wondering if this could be a possibility, even if it does seem remote?

I mean, I guess anything is possible, but highly, highly unlikely. I doubt TB trades their pick and will take whomever is left over between Jones/Mac/Drouin.

However, I can see one of Phoenix or Dallas trading up to 5th overall and drafting Lindholm or Nichushkin.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Hockey’s Future 2013 Staff Mock Draft

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...campaign=hockeys-future-2013-staff-mock-draft
3. Tampa Bay Lightning

Valeri Nichushkin, RW, Chelyabinsk (KHL)

The Lightning are in a great position to grab some high end talent with the third overall pick. The obvious Russian factor aside, Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman has shown a knack for selecting Russians with his first picks, and Lightning Director of Amateur Scouting Al Murray seemed impressed with Nichushkin's skill set and performance during February's 5 Nations Under-18 Tournament.

Nichushkin has drawn lofty comparisons to fellow countrymen Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin, which would be hard for any GM to pass up. This may be the unconventional pick with Jonathan Drouin still available, but Nichushkin has stated his plans to play in North America next season (provided he earns a spot in camp), and with the Lightning needing to get bigger in their top six, Nichushkin carries a slight edge over the talented Drouin.

They go

1. Jones
2. MacKinnon
3. Nichushkin
4. Drouin
5. Barkov

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I will be ****ing IRATE. Barkov, fine. I don't agree with it, but I don't think it's a bad pick. But Nichushkin would be a mistake.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I will be happy with any of the top 5 (or trade #3 for a legit partner for Hedman) and am certain that SFY and the scouting staff know a lot more about talent evaluation and projection than I will ever know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad