2013 NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
Boltprospects just had a string of interesting RT's, suggesting Jones slipped a touch after an average combine, Drouin had a strong one, and Nichushkin's interviews went horribly (imagine if that includes his interview with us!).

I'd still be happy with any of Jones, MacK, Drouin or Barkov.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Boltprospects just had a string of interesting RT's, suggesting Jones slipped a touch after an average combine, Drouin had a strong one, and Nichushkin's interviews went horribly (imagine if that includes his interview with us!).

I'd still be happy with any of Jones, MacK, Drouin or Barkov.

No scout has him as #1 apparently. And Drouin has the highest hockey IQ among the top 5.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=673456
Adam Kimelman, Mike G. Morreale and Steve Hoffner remain in agreement on the first two picks -- Portland Winterhawks defenseman Seth Jones will go to the Colorado Avalanche at No. 1, followed by Halifax Mooseheads center Nathan MacKinnon at No. 2 to the Florida Panthers.

After that, however, the mock drafts take divergent paths, with two of our experts believing the Tampa Bay Lightning will take MacKinnon's teammate, left wing Jonathan Drouin, with the No. 3 pick, while Kimelman believes the Lightning will opt for Finnish center Aleksander Barkov.
Adam Kimelman:
I had Aleksander Barkov the Finnish forward going number 3 to the Tampa Bay Lightning. Just a big strong, dynamic 2 way center. Hockey IQ off the charts. I just think he's a perfect fit for what they're looking for in Tampa Bay. Good players up the middle are hard to find. I think you slot him in as a 2nd line center behind Steven Stamkos, you know you're really stacked up the middle."
Mike Morreale:
"Well the director of European scouting Göran Stubb told me when Nichushkin is on top of his game, he's probably the best European prospect out there but right now he's ranked number 2 because he has a little bit of an inconsistent game right now. But we'll have him going number 5 to the Carolina Hurricanes just because he is one of those top elite players. 4-5 years down the road he could be an all-star caliber player."

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008

The fascinating thing about drafting Barkov is that it would give us three good to great center options. Every SC contending team is built on center depth, reliable defense and of course an in-form goaltender.

With Marty still likely able to play for another 5 years at a relatively good level, perhaps management could feel that the need to draft Drouin as a replacement isn't quite as urgent. Also, when you look at our organizational depth, we're probably lightest down the middle in terms of forward prospects.

That said, I still want us to draft Drouin :laugh:

Pointerspoint

socktaper
Mar 23, 2013
Lake County
Can't wait for draft day! I have reached the point of being just fine with whoever we draft assuming it's one of either M/J/D/B or possibly N. I'm a little unsure of N but I guess I'll climb on board if he's our pick.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
To think, people laughed when I said Barkov was an option. Skating can be fixed somewhat easily. Strong two way centers are never ever a bad thing. :)

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
To think, people laughed when I said Barkov was an option. Skating can be fixed somewhat easily. Strong two way centers are never ever a bad thing. :)

Shame on those who laughed. What I like about Barkov is that he's accustomed to playing against players older than him - he's done it and thrived his whole life. If we don't draft Drouin at 3, he's really the only other player I would like (if Jones and Mac are gone). Elite centers are extremely difficult to come by and it's easier to find capable scoring wingers than vice versa.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Shame on those who laughed. What I like about Barkov is that he's accustomed to playing against players older than him - he's done it and thrived his whole life. If we don't draft Drouin at 3, he's really the only other player I would like (if Jones and Mac are gone). Elite centers are extremely difficult to come by and it's easier to find capable scoring wingers than vice versa.

On a similar note, I saw a tweet that said that had Barkov been born just a few days later, he would be in the 2014 draft class. So he's younger than just about any other draft eligible prospect and he's set to go top 5. That's incredible.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I have no problem with Barkov. He seems like he would fill a big need. As would Drouin. We are in a great position this year. Love our team going forward. This team will be back in the playoffs again soon.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
Does no one think Vinny would be a good fit to move to wing if we drafted Barkov?

He has lost a step, moving to wing makes that less of a problem.

And if Stamkos/Barkov go down Vinny can slot right back in. (As IMO the 3rd line pivot spot is TJ's to lose!)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't think anyone would think that Barkov is a BAD pick, just not the best pick imo. I wouldn't be calling for Yzerman's head if he went in that direction (while if he drafts Nichushkin I will be).

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Not to mention his skating issues have forced him to be a little stronger along the wall and a little more creative than most with the puck. He never had that Stamkos-like speed to just skate his way out of trouble anytime.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Not to mention his skating issues have forced him to be a little stronger along the wall and a little more creative than most with the puck. He never had that Stamkos-like speed to just skate his way out of trouble anytime.

It's interesting because half the reports claim that Barkov is a good skater, while the other half claim it's his weakness that he needs work on. From the limited viewings I've had, it didn't seem like a big issue but his foot speed is nothing to write home about either.

Anyway, you make an excellent point. Not being able to rely on your speed early on in your development generally makes you a better player in the long run, especially when you start getting older and inevitably start to lose a step. Barkov also seems to be willing to battle along the boards for the puck and create from the high traffic areas, which is something we can always benefit from (considering all the skill players we already have).

Kucherov on Barkov's wing could work wonders for us down the road.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think anyone would think that Barkov is a BAD pick, just not the best pick imo. I wouldn't be calling for Yzerman's head if he went in that direction (while if he drafts Nichushkin I will be).

I still prefer Drouin. The thought of him next to Stamkos would make any defense cringe.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
I still prefer Drouin. The thought of him next to Stamkos would make any defense cringe.

I'd agree long term Stamkos+Drouin sounds like it could be a long term 07-09 Marty+Vinny.

But initially I wouldn't want to see him next to Stamkos.

Put him with Vinny IMO. Vinny has a much more complete and versatile offensive game when he's on. Stamkos understandably shoots whenever he has the puck. Which with MSL is perfect. But given how talented Drouin is, putting him with Lecavalier who can pass and shoot would give him someone to feed off and fully develop while also protecting him physically to an extent (not claiming Vinny is a huge deterrent by any stretch but if you piss him off he will drop them).

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
Watching the playoffs (for the last 4 years, even), I'm starting to think more about the premise of taking Barkov. Each of the last 4 cup winners have one of those amazing 2-way centermen (Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, and then Toews or Bergeron again) and those teams all have one of those stonewall defensive/PK lines that fills up the scoresheet as well. I can't think of anything "harder" to play against than one of those units, and Cooper has spent a lot of time talking about getting "harder" to play against.

Can't help but wonder if a pick like Barkov, giving us a pure scoring line (Stamkos line) and a piss and vinegar 2-way line (Barkov line), might help maximize this team's potential long-term. Imagine a line of Namestnikov-Barkov-Panik. They'd light the lamp while beating you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad