2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)- Offseason FA and trade talk Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevilfan2005

May 6, 2013
Tacoma WA
I think he just wasn't healthy enough to even get back into the lineup. He probably shouldn't have even been put back in. The Sharks were missing him though down 2 games to 0 in the series with the Kings.

I think Patty and Marty Havs are a package deal by the way!:sarcasm:

I tend to agree with you that Marty Havlat was just not healthy enough to get back into the lineup and probably should not have been but with the Sharks down 2-0 I am sure that he talked up a good story to the training staff and coaches to give it a try. That being said, other members of that sharks team need to stop disappearing during the playoffs. I would like to see Patrick Marleau come to NJ. it would be a nice top 6 forward addition with more scoring punch.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I tend to agree with you that Marty Havlat was just not healthy enough to get back into the lineup and probably should not have been but with the Sharks down 2-0 I am sure that he talked up a good story to the training staff and coaches to give it a try. That being said, other members of that sharks team need to stop disappearing during the playoffs. I would like to see Patrick Marleau come to NJ. it would be a nice top 6 forward addition with more scoring punch.

Marleau would be pretty cool, but I think he's a Sharks lifer. He's a UFA next Summer. So is Joe Thornton. I can see Thornton being let go unless both he and Marleau take a HUGE paycut.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I wouldn't be averse to Havlat on a cheap 1 yr deal if he gets bought out, but that needs to be predicated by bringing Elias back and hopefully Zubrus, as well as adding one other forward still either trough trade or FA.

BTW, I really think there are going to be quite a few buyouts, especially with teams who have enough of a slush fund to burn off bad contracts and looking to use the opportunity to jettison long-term contracts so they can set themselves up with more cap space in a more robust FA next season.

I'd be real surprised if Brad Richards isn't among them either with how bad he's been. I'm not sure we get rid of Volchenkov, but he's really the only logical candidate for us.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wouldn't be averse to Havlat on a cheap 1 yr deal if he gets bought out, but that needs to be predicated by bringing Elias back and hopefully Zubrus, as well as adding one other forward still either trough trade or FA.

Or through Dollar General maybe too?:laugh:

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Or through Dollar General maybe too?:laugh:

I don't know. I hope not. There is very little in FA which leads to classic supply/demand overpayments and that is compounded by the fact we have several FAs ourselves. But the number of teams with minimal cap space and the need to do some compliance buyouts could help the market a bit. I also think we do see Lou swinging a trade, I just can't tell whether it will be a bigger one, or kind of a wait and see one.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Since when is Loktionov bad defensively? Bad along the boards maybe, but he was fine on the backcheck. He was one of the best forwards on the team at limiting shots against (small sample caveat applies, of course).

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
Since when is Loktionov bad defensively? Bad along the boards maybe, but he was fine on the backcheck. He was one of the best forwards on the team at limiting shots against (small sample caveat applies, of course).

Exactly what I was thinking, maybe weak along boards but that'll come with any forward who plays more of a finesse type of game as opposed to a energy kind of game (Gionta).

Abysmal? Not an accurate description at all

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Might as well, he's got no future here with Wedge probably ticketed for Albany and Kinkaid getting a full year as the starter.

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
Maybe Matteau will be this guys but;

This team lacks someone who can light a fire under their ass by stirring things up,finishing checks, and dropping them occasionally...not at stupid times

Steve Ott
Andrew Shaw
Rinaldo/Cooke (save the dirty play)

Someone who finishes shifts

Cam Janssen is 25% of the way there but lacks offense, defense, or any hockey IQ...... the remaining 75% so he's a no go

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Exactly what I was thinking, maybe weak along boards but that'll come with any forward who plays more of a finesse type of game as opposed to a energy kind of game (Gionta).

Yeah, he is goes in and is opportunistic rather than is going to try to win a board battle. He tries to go in, win it quick, and move the puck out quick. He is solid enough defensively, he's not anything spectacular, but it's not at all a detriment to his game. He's not a defensive liability by any means but he's not a stalwart defensively.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Maybe Matteau will be this guys but;

This team lacks someone who can light a fire under their ass by stirring things up,finishing checks, and dropping them occasionally...not at stupid times

Steve Ott
Andrew Shaw
Rinaldo/Cooke (save the dirty play)

Someone who finishes shifts

Cam Janssen is 25% of the way there but lacks offense, defense, or any hockey IQ...... the remaining 75% so he's a no go

I agree, those guys get paid like crazy though. Those aren't really guys you want to go searching around for on the UFA market. You just gotta hope you develop a guy like that to keep them around. I'd love for us to have a fourth liner like Rinaldo, he's a good hockey player and a damn good agitator, he's just dirty because he plays for the Flyers. I love how he just hits everything and tries to stir stuff up.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Loktionov is not anything close to a number one center. hes played 87 freaking NHL games and is an abomination defensively and on faceoffs. get lost.

I didn't see this at all.

But I do agree that penciling in a guy with that is as unproven as lokti is on the top line is a bit ambitious. 87 nhl games, 26 career points.

However, whoever we pencil in as the top line C will not have desired top C credentials.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Seems u guys beat me to it.

I also wanted to agree with the point some guys made about Lokti's good showing being more then just playing with Kovy. He wasn't playing with Kovy for I'd guess 2/3's of his time here. He was showing his ability from game one while playing with 3rd liners(are u listening Ted's?)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The more I think about it the more I can see us picking up a short term UFA guy, possibly a fresh off amnesty player. Someone who might only require a one year deal.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Loktionov was better defensively than the guy in your username, buddy. He was fantastic in every way and if we had more guys who played with the skill, speed, and smarts that he has maybe we'd be in the playoffs.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Loktionov was better defensively than the guy in your username, buddy. He was fantastic in every way and if we had more guys who played with the skill, speed, and smarts that he has maybe we'd be in the playoffs.

I hope you're not referring to Zajac. Because if you think Loki was better than Zajac defensively...I don't even know what to say.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The more I think about it the more I can see us picking up a short term UFA guy, possibly a fresh off amnesty player. Someone who might only require a one year deal.

That is something I have not seen mentioned. Who are probable/possible amnesty guys?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Heatley, Briere, Havlat, Richards

Bryzgalov!:sarcasm:

I would welcome a Marty/Bryz tandem, but I just really liked the guy before he was on the Flyers. And I tried last year, but can't seem to find myself able to hate the damn guy especially with all the crap he's taken in the media.

The Flyers might have ruined him though.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Bryzgalov!:sarcasm:

I would welcome a Marty/Bryz tandem, but I just really liked the guy before he was on the Flyers. And I tried last year, but can't seem to find myself able to hate the damn guy especially with all the crap he's taken in the media.

The Flyers might have ruined him though.

Wouldnt mind him at all. But short term with a low salary.Give him a one year deal. Just tell him look, your going to play 30-35 games this year , possibly more if you do well. Play well and the starting job is yours next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad