2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Brodeur said there's "zero" chance Kovalchuk won't hear about his figure skating foray at KHL skills competition when he gets back to NJ.

Brodeur hit a hole in 1 while playing golf with his sons in Fla. over holidays. 2nd one of his life. "I've got to thank Gary for that one."

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Henrique at that X, and I think it'll be fine. The names aren't scary but they can still get the job done. Butler has a similar skill set to Sykora, that 3rd line has shown chemistry before, and Kovy does Kovy.

I think you'll see Bernier getting a good amount of 3rd line time though when Janssen or Barch play.

I think we move Elias to LW and Henrique to center in that scenario, no?

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I've already made up my mind that I'm not going to like Darche unless he scores a bunch of goals or somehow beats up a bunch of Rangers and Flyers.

I see neither happening. All I see is him taking away a roster spot from someone who deserves it more.

I wish Lou would have given John Madden a call and brought him out of retirement. Much rather have a 39 year old John Madden that Darche.

See this is what I mean. How can u already have your mind made up on him ? He hasnt had a chance to prove anything. He is a good 3rd line forward who is good defensively.

Madden was great when he was here, but there is no chance id take Madden over Darche right now

J1mLahey

Jan 13, 2011
Toronto
Leaf fan here, who is expected to centre Kovy this year? I know it's probably covered within the tread but I'm sure you guys could give me an answer quicker haha

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Brodeur on Parise cont: "“The guy, he’s unbelievable. There’s a reason why Minnesota gave half the state to him.”

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
See this is what I mean. How can u already have your mind made up on him ? He hasnt had a chance to prove anything. He is a good 3rd line forward who is good defensively.

Madden was great when he was here, but there is no chance id take Madden over Darche right now

If I can't make my mind up on him yet, then no one else on here should be able to make up their mind on Krys Barch.

Fair?

Oh, and if Darche was a good 3rd line forward that's good defensively, then he would have been signed in July and not getting a tryout in January.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
If I can't make my mind up on him yet, then no one else on here should be able to make up their mind on Krys Barch.

Fair?

Oh, and if Darche was a good 3rd line forward that's good defensively, then he would have been signed in July and not getting a tryout in January.

Barch has proven nothing in his career other then being a 4th line fighter. They are two completely different players. Even trying to compare the two is ridiculous. Atleast Darche has proven he could score / play defense.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Brodeur said there's "zero" chance Kovalchuk won't hear about his figure skating foray at KHL skills competition when he gets back to NJ.

Brodeur hit a hole in 1 while playing golf with his sons in Fla. over holidays. 2nd one of his life. "I've got to thank Gary for that one."

Marty in mid-season sass mode. He's ready to go.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY

Fair?

You could probably say that about several UFAs. Still blows my mind how Andrei Kostitsyn didn't get a contract.

Jack Griffin

Jan 28, 2012
Florida
I don't understand how you can be angry about a tryout. It's a no lose situation, we get to see if the guy can cut it without committing to him.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

... And we also got Carter off waivers from Florida and we signed Bernier after he got his invite for a tryout and now everyone is in love with our 4th line ;)

Darche is a solid 3rd/4th liner who's also solid on the PK. He plays hard and is light years better defensively then someone like Tedenby. I'd take him over Barch, Janssen and Tedenby any day of the week.

Why we didn't give the same type of shot to AK is mind boggling !!!

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

I agree, Henrique will not see anytime as a winger unless its on the PP. Pete made the comment that if Henrique was healthy Patty would be at LW so i think that pretty much somes it up.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

Fair?

Not fair, because Barch has never been a useful player at any pro hockey level.

And by the logic of your last sentence, Petr Sykora shouldn't have been offered a tryout last year.

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
Not fair, because Barch has never been a useful player at any pro hockey level.

And by the logic of your last sentence, Petr Sykora shouldn't have been offered a tryout last year.

Well Sykora hadn't played in 2 years before last season. Darche was playing full time last season.

I'm going to be upset if he gets a contract, especially given how cheap a guy like Ponikarovsky signed for.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Well Sykora hadn't played in 2 years before last season. Darche was playing full time last season.

I'm going to be upset if he gets a contract, especially given how cheap a guy like Ponikarovsky signed for.

I'm with you on re-signing Ponikarovsky. We definitely should have.

Inviting Darche to a tryout is an absolute no risk move. If he earns a contract, that means he outplayed the other guys in camp. Given how well he played in a third line role in 10-11, it's a shot worth taking.

Dean McAmmond was offered a tryout in 09-10 and that turned out to be a very good move. I believe Manny Malhotra was offered a tryout with the Sharks in 09-10 too, which was a great a move. Sometimes guys slip through the cracks in the offseason.

DevilChuk*

Devils (and Islanders) qualify for revenue sharing now, up to 50% of a full share.

Last CBA neither team qualified for it because they were in the NY market.

should help finances a bit.

Also, now when Rangers fans brag about "selling out" MSG, we can thank them for their contributions to the Devils. :laugh:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Why invite Darche to camp? He's pretty much useless and there are guys in Albany who can do a better job than him. Not to mention that Petr Sykora is still available, an option much better than Darche.

He's not a bad option to fill out the bottom 6, especially if we have injuries.

Matteau better not make this hockey team. I think that would be a disaster for his development.

I agree, I don't want his development stunted, like the Flyers did to Zubrus. Keep him in the Q.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
hope pete spreads out the little upper depth chart offense that is there across the top two lines and doesnt stack everything on the first.

apice3*

I'd rather have Patty off the top line. Kovy and Zajac will carry a line no matter who is with them, but I think Henrique compliments their style. Elias can carry a line of Zubrus and Butler, something I don't think Henrique can do yet. Keeping Elias on the 2nd line stretches depth to a forward group that isn't very deep. Very important.

You could probably say that about several UFAs. Still blows my mind how Andrei Kostitsyn didn't get a contract.

Didn't he have character issues in Nashville during the postseason with Radulov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad