2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Kind of a random question but how come the Devils don't put Daneyko "between the glass" during home games like Pierre Mcguire does for NBC? I think the Rangers have a guy there and he got hit in the face last night haha

Same reason we do or don't do everything else. Because Lou says so.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Kind of a random question but how come the Devils don't put Daneyko "between the glass" during home games like Pierre Mcguire does for NBC? I think the Rangers have a guy there and he got hit in the face last night haha

I don't like it anyway. We've already got enough on our hands with Chico motor mouthing through the game, there's no room for a third set of lungs in there.

I hate when Pierre takes away from play-by-play time when things are actually happening on the ice.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Josefson's numbers are putrid but he's looked just fine. Very fast, excellent penalty killer, good passer. Who cares about stats this early? His lack of finish is concerning, but if he can kill penalties like he has been and can hopefully rack up some dimes, he'll be a useful third line player.

Bosskarelli

Jun 21, 2007
Florida
speaking of which, where did all of this bizarre Josefson hate come from? I came in late last season, so forgive me if he's been a consistent whipping boy.

Just a very odd choice for one.

(and no, just because I suggested he might be traded does not mean I'm not a fan of his)

Hype backlash. The current meme with the fanbase seems to be that once Lou/Conte finishes saying your name at an NHL draft and you're a forward BAM! you're now a guaranteed 30 goals or more per year NHL player. I guess some people are getting sick of it.

The whole "he's great defensively!" thing is like a consolation prize. It only gets brought up in response to the criticism, then it's right back to "30 goals per year baby! Any moment now!" with all the blame being put on his linemates or the coach having an anti-devils draft pick conspiracy that Lou is somehow powerless to do anything about.

There's nothing wrong with him being a third line C who's good at PK and has a decent eye for passing, but as long as people are going to insist that,because he was drafted by the Devils, he's going to be way more than that, you're going to have people criticizing him for not living up to it, fair or not.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Also should note that he's playing more SH minutes per game than any other forward on the team.

Speaks for itself how the coaches feel, no?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
But Josefson has never really had a hype train. Nobody expected him to be a huge scorer. At best I was thinking Elias-lite, because they have similar playmaking styles. At the draft, Pierre called him the long term replacement for Madden, and that's what he's looking like right now. So why the backlash, if he was never hyped up to begin with?

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I don't like it anyway. We've already got enough on our hands with Chico motor mouthing through the game, there's no room for a third set of lungs in there.

I hate when Pierre takes away from play-by-play time when things are actually happening on the ice.

Isn't that just because it's Pierre more than anything though?

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Tedenby Syndrome. A slow suffocating paralysis occurring particularly in younger players. Symptoms include constriction of the windpipe resulting in a choking hazard.

Eh, it proved Tedenby can't play d. At least JJ is for the most part.

Deb "and I know what YOUR favourite part about that goal was"

Ken "which is...?"

Deb "...the...the faceoff win..."

Ken "YES THE FACEOFF WIN RIGHT"

I thought that was a total lead in for Volch's shot, and assist. Couldn't believe Dano didn't jump on that, or that Deb was that weird about the whole sequence.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
kd1f.gif

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
But Josefson has never really had a hype train. Nobody expected him to be a huge scorer. At best I was thinking Elias-lite, because they have similar playmaking styles. At the draft, Pierre called him the long term replacement for Madden, and that's what he's looking like right now. So why the backlash, if he was never hyped up to begin with?

I don't know -I heard lots of Zetterberg comparisons.

The kid is young. He had a two or three game period where he was absolutely everywhere, had great chances and played a complete game and then they demoted him to the 4th line and he disappeared.

I don't expect anything of him with Barch as his linemate. When CBG goes back to being the 4th line, Josefson will put up some points.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
I know this has been mentioned at length but it bears repeating. Deb and Sherry are awesome.

I didn't like Deb when she first came on as host, but she's not only grown on me, but has my complete respect. Love her now. I think part of it is she's really grown with the team and you can tell she loves them as much as Dano, Chico (and of course, us) do. The fact that she actually cried after a playoff win last year is proof of that. It's awesome. :)

As for yesterday, we lucked out a couple times with the Lightening's chances, but overall we looked awesome. A complete team effort from top to bottom for a full sixty minutes. We need to bring that consistency every game from here on out.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I know this has been mentioned at length but it bears repeating. Deb and Sherry are awesome.

I didn't like Deb when she first came on as host, but she's not only grown on me, but has my complete respect. Love her now. I think part of it is she's really grown with the team and you can tell she loves them as much as Dano, Chico (and of course, us) do. The fact that she actually cried after a playoff win last year is proof of that. It's awesome. :)

As for yesterday, we lucked out a couple times with the Lightening's chances, but overall we looked awesome. A complete team effort from top to bottom for a full sixty minutes. We need to bring that consistency every game from here on out.

Deb cried after a win last year?

kiwidevil

I lasted 9 minutes watching the replay with Chico's crap. Then I had to change to the lightning feed. He really has no idea whats happening most of the time and just tries to make up reasons why the opposition team is terrible.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Ya Josefson looks like he will become a 3rd line guy with good defensive awareness. If he can get a shot someday he has all the tools to move up the chart.

Rob Nieds work ethic

Swarm it up Devils!
Aug 17, 2007
Josefson has enough hockey IQ to someday become a playmaking top 6-center. Furthermore he can always practice shooting. Durability is probably his biggest obstacle.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Yayo's playing great on the PK and has shown some good smarts and play making ability when he gets to play with some skilled guys. I don't have a big problem with him other than I wish he would bury the ****ing puck already! He's had some glorious chances to no avail.

Zharkovitis indeed.

Oroku Saki*

I always saw Yayo as a 10g - 30/35 assist player. Hopefully he's more but that production coupled with his defensive play is fine by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad