2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
What's the deal with Matteau? Is he only a 5-game stopgap until Henrique returns?

I'm in a very deep 18 team league and picked him up. Anyone think he stays on the roster or will he get sent back down to junior?

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
What's the deal with Matteau? Is he only a 5-game stopgap until Henrique returns?

I'm in a very deep 18 team league and picked him up. Anyone think he stays on the roster or will he get sent back down to junior?

Given what many would "assume" to be the Devils way of operating, it seems as if he's here for the 5 games and that's it. But by the same token, he's playing enough of a role so far to say it may not be that simple to assume he's gone after his 5 games are up. The team is still waiting on Henrique to come back, and is still sitting with a surplus of D-men and a need for a top-6 (or maybe top-9) forward. There is still going to be some change in their lineup, so it remains to be seen what can be expected of Matteau's chances of sticking. I would lean towards him being sent back (as I feel the majority would, even if its not much of a majority), but the short of it is that it is still too early to tell.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

Getting harder and harder to stay for certain.
Last week, I would have said 99% sure he went back. Now I'm down to 70%.

I hope he does go back to the Q, though. I want him seasoned and playing his mind out to get back to the NHL.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

I honestly think at this point he's going to stay, we'll burn a contract year, and we'll end up sending him back sometime after the trade deadline, and he'll be back as depth in the playoffs.

(Assuming we can do that. I think we can, right?)

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I honestly think at this point he's going to stay, we'll burn a contract year, and we'll end up sending him back sometime after the trade deadline, and he'll be back as depth in the playoffs.

I think we could send him to Albany, but not to junior... But I don't know that for sure.

I never thought he would stay, but after two games, I think he does - and Tedenby gets sent back down to the A.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I think we could send him to Albany, but not to junior... But I don't know that for sure.

I never thought he would stay, but after two games, I think he does - and Tedenby gets sent back down to the A.
I know we can't send him to the AHL no matter what, due to being a CHL player and his age. I'm not sure if playing more than 5 games makes him inelegible to go back to juniors, too.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I know we can't send him to the AHL no matter what, due to being a CHL player and his age. I'm not sure if playing more than 5 games makes him inelegible to go back to juniors, too.

Ah, you're correct about that... I forgot he's that young for some reason. Either way, I'd have to imagine if he sticks past 5 games he'll stay here.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

I don't know if we can recall a player from juniors for the playoffs, but if he's going to stay I think he rotates as a healthy scratch a la Larsson. He's clearly good enough to be here, and Pete has shown that he thinks thinks having young players be with the team full time is just as valuable as play time.

Plus it'll force the Teddy's and Bernier's to have a sense of urgency knowing a hungry player is chomping at the bit to get into action.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I think this was asked already but I missed if there was an answer or not, have we been in a situation like the one with Matteau before, the solid play included with the ELC stuff?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I think in the matter of three games Matteau and Tedenby are both gone, replaced by a returning Henrique and signed Darche.

Matteau's looked like a live body so far but I think people are jumping the gun a wee bit here. It's not like he's some super-talented guy we can't sign/acquire a reasonable facsimile of for the rest of the season and not have to burn a year of the ELC.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I think in the matter of three games Matteau and Tedenby are both gone, replaced by a returning Henrique and signed Darche.

Matteau's looked like a live body so far but I think people are jumping the gun a wee bit here. It's not like he's some super-talented guy we can't sign/acquire a reasonable facsimile of for the rest of the season and not have to burn a year of the ELC.

Agreed I said this yesterday.

dunno what to do with Tedenby though. Would love to package him in a trade with a dman and maybe a pick to get a quality forward back but I dunno if those are available out there yet.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK

Replace Darche with a potential trade and I agree.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think Lou and Pete would have Matteau in the lineup at all if they didn't think there was a legitimate chance of him being - or of them wanting him as - an every-day player for the rest of the year.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
One thing I really enjoy about this team is the toughness. There was a stretch for a few years where the Devils would get pushed around night in and night out. That's not the case anymore. They're always standing up for each other. Even if the offense struggles, at times, this is going to be a tough team to play against.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
I don't think Lou and Pete would have Matteau in the lineup at all if they didn't think there was a legitimate chance of him being - or of them wanting him as - an every-day player for the rest of the year.
As true as this statement is, no matter how serviceable to solid to good he looked, it`s still a possibility IMO.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
But I thought that stuff doesn't apply because we didn't draft him out of junior (Matteau)? We drafted him out of the USNDTP, no?

Jack Griffin

Jan 28, 2012
Florida
But I thought that stuff doesn't apply because we didn't draft him out of junior (Matteau)? We drafted him out of the USNDTP, no?

Yea he could have gone straight to the AHL but since he's played in the Q this year I think it's either the NHL of back to Juniors. I'm not really sure about that though. I know he can play in the AHL next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad