3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Rangers definitely controlled the game. They got a bit lackadaisical with the lead and got a bit too much into a shell, but the Rangers largely controlled the flow of the game start to finish.

The Hurricanes were not able to throw random pucks to the net like they normally like to do.
Yes, but that thing doesn't always deal in reality and Carolina are analytics darlings so I'm expecting it to be close.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
He’s a baseball announcer. I don’t think he ever did hockey regularly.

I honestly believe he got the job because he’s almost an anti-Emrick in terms of screeching and over excitement. In many ways, I appreciate that approach. However, it is pretty obvious he doesn’t really know hockey well enough to be the lead ESPN announcer.

It’s unfortunate because ESPN does have talent that should be the #1 and #2 crews.

McDonough has plenty of experience calling hockey. He actually called a game or two during the 1994 cup run. He also worked with JD during the 1998 Winter Olympics on CBS. He was the voice of a few Frozen Fours before ESPN lost the NHL and Gary Thorne took over. It just had been a long time for him until ESPN got it back. That said I think Bob Wischusen should be ESPN's #1. And I highly doubt Sean would even do hockey unless he was #1.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Also, sucks to f***ing suck for Sean McDonough who couldn’t have sounded more miserable on Mika’s first and Panarin’s goal

He's literally ruining the experience.

I've re-watched, as an example, the Stepan-in-overtime goal a thousand times because, while I kinda hated Doc, it was an amazing, adrenaline-straight-to-my-veins call.

McDonough has called exactly one exciting goal for the Rangers in three playoff runs so far and it was Chytil's second against Tampa two years ago.

The guy is AWFUL. He's like a deflated balloon.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
McDonough has plenty of experience calling hockey. He actually called a game or two during the 1994 cup run. He also worked with JD during the 1998 Winter Olympics on CBS. He was the voice of a few Frozen Fours before ESPN lost the NHL and Gary Thorne took over. It just had been a long time for him until ESPN got it back. That said I think Bob Wischusen should be ESPN's #1. And I highly doubt Sean would even do hockey unless he was #1.

Wischusen isn't great but he's way, way better than McDonough. So is Kenny Albert.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
FWIW I've bitched about Zibanejad many times but if he can keep this up through a Cup win I promise I'll give him a break for an entire calendar year.

Laf had a little over 12 minutes of ice time.Lav has to find a way to get him on the ice more

I feel like the entire Panarin-Trocheck-Laf line was seeing fewer minutes than normal. Is that born out by stats?

Reactions: bl02

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
He's literally ruining the experience.

I've re-watched, as an example, the Stepan-in-overtime goal a thousand times because, while I kinda hated Doc, it was an amazing, adrenaline-straight-to-my-veins call.

McDonough has called exactly one exciting goal for the Rangers in three playoff runs so far and it was Chytil's second against Tampa two years ago.

The guy is AWFUL. He's like a deflated balloon.
Pair him with Ferraro who just says random nonsense and tries to pass it off as facts. He just lets feces fart out of his mouth.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
FWIW I've bitched about Zibanejad many times but if he can keep this up through a Cup win I promise I'll give him a break for an entire calendar year.

I feel like the entire Panarin-Trocheck-Laf line was seeing fewer minutes than normal. Is that born out by stats?
Bread 17:04,Vinnie just over 20

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

Hell, Zib should never be bashed again if he does that, lol.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
people loved to hate doc for some reason. I thought he called the game extremely well with a ton of energy and little bias. he was a pro’s pro and I think the NHL really misses him.
I guess I’m one of the “haters”.

The problem I had with him was the non stop screeching, like nails on a chalkboard. Also, the wordsmithing. His voice got so high and pitchy that my wife couldn’t watch games with me.

And while he wasn’t that biased, Pierre and Eddie certainly were, and made the broadcasts barely tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad