OT: 2013 MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
On the contrary if I were a yankee fan I'd like that Cano doesn't run out balls to first as I don't think the extremely low chance of beating out a routine groundball (basically relying on an error) is worth the injury risk.

Are you the guy who sits behind me at Giants games and yells for a receiver to "fall down" after every catch so he doesn't fumble?

Play the game right.

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I dont know why people think the Yankees are just going to get worse, ANY lineup they put on the field next year will be better than this one. They have some young pitching both in the rotation and pen. Nova/Phelps/Pineda will be better than anything Hughes or Andy gave us this year, Tex will be healthy who is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Overbay. Thats Gardner, Jeter, Tex, Cano (if we keep him) to start the lineup, Arod will be suspended, there will be money to spend with or without the budget. I also dont think CC is "done" like many other fans do though

The guys who were/are injured were quietly declining anyway, and getting up there in age as well. Who is to say the improvement will come just because these filthy rich/aging players will be back in the lineup?

You, my friend, are prepared to go down with the ship like the rest of Yankee management. A slow, steady decline.

When you look at the massively aging roster, and a barren farm system (all the good Yankee prospects are in Single/Double A......for over 5 years now), how is a rebuild not the #1 option for a brighter future?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
gee with a 1 run beauty today. 3 k's no walks. era now 3.82. he's a gamer.

hes 27 so hes one of the older guys... :laugh:

harv, zakkk, jon, mejia, noah, montero and gee.

makings of a decent staff for 2014 and maybe, if we sign a value vet innings eater guy, a surplus of young arms allowing for a trade for a power hitting of'er.

excited to see wilmer flores get some ab's too.

d'arnaud needs to make his debut now.

life is good in mets land :yo:

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The guys who were/are injured were quietly declining anyway, and getting up there in age as well. Who is to say the improvement will come just because these filthy rich/aging players will be back in the lineup?

You, my friend, are prepared to go down with the ship like the rest of Yankee management. A slow, steady decline.

When you look at the massively aging roster, and a barren farm system (all the good Yankee prospects are in Single/Double A......for over 5 years now), how is a rebuild not the #1 option for a brighter future?

I guess because I truly dont believe the Yankees will stick to their budget and will find a way to make the team better. we'll see.. Also as far as them declining maybe, but is Teixiera not a significant upgrade over Overbay, Jeter a significant upgrade over Nunez/Adams? That already makes us better than this year. Yankees outside of this year, always find a way to be a good team who makes the PS

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
gee with a 1 run beauty today. 3 k's no walks. era now 3.82. he's a gamer.

hes 27 so hes one of the older guys... :laugh:

harv, zakkk, jon, mejia, noah, montero and gee.

makings of a decent staff for 2014 and maybe, if we sign a value vet innings eater guy, a surplus of young arms allowing for a trade for a power hitting of'er.

excited to see wilmer flores get some ab's too.

d'arnaud needs to make his debut now.

life is good in mets land :yo:

Why does everyone forget Fulmer? I'll take his upside over Montero and Mejia pretty easily.

Thor won't be in the rotation in 2014, either. He's going to get a full season in AAA. The Harvey treatment.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Just bumming me out that this team is going to finish in 12-13th from the bottom and not have pick protection in FA. Adding someone like Ellsbury would be huge, obviously if the price was right.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Just bumming me out that this team is going to finish in 12-13th from the bottom and not have pick protection in FA. Adding someone like Ellsbury would be huge, obviously if the price was right.

after this debacle, they might just add McCann, ells, and resign cano lol

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Why does everyone forget Fulmer? I'll take his upside over Montero and Mejia pretty easily.

Thor won't be in the rotation in 2014, either. He's going to get a full season in AAA. The Harvey treatment.

Steven Matz has also taken a big step forward this year.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

None of Montero/Mejia/Fulmer are particularly big prospects at this point. Not even ranked among the top 100 by many people.

Are you the guy who sits behind me at Giants games and yells for a receiver to "fall down" after every catch so he doesn't fumble?

Play the game right.

I really do not understand your point. Is the goal to try to optimize your chance to win a championship or to maximize the small gains on each play which have long term risks? Additionally this is not the same thing for several reasons including but not limited to most receivers being much more replaceable then players like Cano, the huge importance of each football game given 16 in a season compared to 162 baseball games, etc...

I mean are you trying to tell me a constantly high effort Cano who might now take 1-2 DL trips a year and play 130-140 games is more valuable than a less effort but 160 game Cano? There are trade offs.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
None of Montero/Mejia/Fulmer are particularly big prospects at this point. Not ranked in the top 100 by anyone..

Mejia was a big prospect before the Tommy John surgery. Entering 2011 Will Lingo from BA had him in his top-50. Just missed the cut with Manuel and Callis.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
least likable stars in the game based on what? every other fanbase would love to have him

Exactly. Middle of the order at bat and one of the better players in all of baseball.

The only question with Cano is how soon and how steep he declines. I'd throw money at him but nothing more than 6 or 7 years.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Mejia was a big prospect before the Tommy John surgery. Entering 2011 Will Lingo from BA had him in his top-50. Just missed the cut with Manuel and Callis.

He was but that was years ago before surgery/poor minor league numbers since 2012 (no strikeouts at all). Admittedly he has looked very good this year.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
PLAYER POS. BASE SALARY SIGNING BONUS OTHER BONUS PAYROLL
Alex Rodriguez 3B 25,000,000 1,000,000 - 26,000,000
Mark Teixeira 1B 22,500,000 625,000 - 23,125,000
C.C. Sabathia SP 23,000,000 - - 23,000,000
Derek Jeter SS 8,000,000 - - 8,000,000
Ichiro Suzuki RF 6,500,000 - - 6,500,000
Alfonso Soriano LF 5,000,000 - - 5,000,000
Vernon Wells LF,CF 2,400,000 - - 2,400,000
2013 TOTALS BASE SALARY SIGNING BONUS OTHER BONUS PAYROLL
Active Contracts 92,400,000

If Arod is suspended for the entire 14 season or the majority of it, the Yankees would only have 67.4M on the books, leaving approximately 122M dollars to improve the team. and probably more like 125M because I'm sure Wells will not be apart of the team next year.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
None of Montero/Mejia/Fulmer are particularly big prospects at this point. Not even ranked among the top 100 by many people.

Montero will be in most of next year's top 100s and I'd be surprised if Fulmer were not in it as well. Fulmer has been criminally underrated. To the point where it's getting ridiculous.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Steven Matz has also taken a big step forward this year.

Yep. The Mets minor league pitching depth is absurd. To the point where they will be trading surplus in a few years for pieces they need.

Gabriel Ynoa looks legit as well. Watch for Casey Meisner in a few years. Kid has insane potential. Just very, very raw.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yep. The Mets minor league pitching depth is absurd. To the point where they will be trading surplus in a few years for pieces they need.

Gabriel Ynoa looks legit as well. Watch for Casey Meisner in a few years. Kid has insane potential. Just very, very raw.

Chris Flexen should be on the radar, too.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He was but that was years ago before surgery/poor minor league numbers since 2012 (no strikeouts at all). Admittedly he has looked very good this year.

Mejia was a big time prospect just two years ago. He's never been a big strikeout guy--that's not his game. Look at his extreme GB/FB splits. Consider him a sinkerballer.

Montero should be on top 100 lists after this year. Particularly if he finishes strong.

Fulmer has top 100 talent. He'll need a full, healthy season to receive the recognition.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Fulmer may have a tough time making top-100. Stiff competition. Montero needs to be there.

Can't help but think how much better Mets system would look if they did the smart thing and traded Reyes at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad