OT: 2013 MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2009
New York City
I think the Yankees are in a good spot with Cano. There seems to be a backlash against the big contracts as so many have backfired of late. And I'm not sure what team is going to be so quick to throw a big contract at Cano (not Boston, LAA, LAD, TEX, NYM). Maybe the Cubs. Of the second teir teams, the Yankees should be able to beat those teams out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't know who the Yankees are really going to be competing against for Cano.

I don't know, I just feel like letting him walk all together. They need to go in a different direction.
Also don't like the fact that he has connections with these dirty trainers that supply PEDs to their clients. It's not to say that he's using but you never hear Jeter or Rivera linked to these people. Plus you had his assistant purchase stuff from Biogenesis. I suspect the ball will eventually drop with him.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Cano is going to get 20 something per. We're not getting him for 14 mil. I think he makes that now. :laugh:

He's peaking right now. At 31, I'm not signing him to a lengthy (7-10 yrs) contract. If he wants one and or gets it from somewhere else, let him walk.

If Cano gets $20M per+ (and Im not 100% convinced he will), it will be on a shorter term deal. If he thinks hes getting a $200M+ contract, he's out of his mind. Those days are over for several reasons -- chief among them being baseball is struggling a bit compared to year's past. Their price gouging and chemically induced product is finally catching up to them.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't know, I just feel like letting him walk all together. They need to go in a different direction.

Agreed. If there was ever a team that needed to rebuild, its this incarnation of the Yankees. If they had some balls, they'd have traded Cano at the deadline.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Agreed. If there was ever a team that needed to rebuild, its this incarnation of the Yankees. If they had some balls, they'd have traded Cano at the deadline.

Agreed - I would have been behind that 100%.

Don't they realize that the genesis of the wonderful run they were on from 95-09 was the crop of home grown prospects that included Jeter, Mo, Pettitte, Posada and Bernie? They then supplemented those guys with solid signings and trades. The last couple of years feels a lot more like the pre-Boss-suspension era in the mid-late 80s.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

Don't they realize that the genesis of the wonderful run they were on from 95-09 was the crop of home grown prospects that included Jeter, Mo, Pettitte, Posada and Bernie? They then supplemented those guys with solid signings and trades. The last couple of years feels a lot more like the pre-Boss-suspension era in the mid-late 80s.

This doesnt make sense, people want the Yankees to go back to what made them successful? Cano is homegrown and hes better than pretty much any homegrown guy of that dynasty era other than Mo and Jeter.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Also don't like the fact that he has connections with these dirty trainers that supply PEDs to their clients. It's not to say that he's using but you never hear Jeter or Rivera linked to these people. Plus you had his assistant purchase stuff from Biogenesis. I suspect the ball will eventually drop with him.

What different direction? bringing in more guys as FAs that fail like the Rangers have done? Cano is the one guy this team has that u do give the money to. Now if u think they will suck for years, I can see your point, don't think that happens. They misread in 08 and missed the playoffs and fixed that in 2009. can they do it again? this of season will be interesting

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

I dont think ownership fully grasps that. Since the mid-70's, George Steinbrenner was banned from baseball the 2 times the Yankees really started building from within -- the results were those 7 championships since '77. George wasn't around when the foundation was being laid, but at least he was entertaining. Hal Steinbrenner is as bland as they come and seems more concerned with squeezing every dime out of the Yankees than building a contender again.

The Yankees farm system has been a wasteland since they brought up Wang and Cano almost a decade ago. When Cashman isn't busy cheating on his wife, or involved in the A-Rod saga, he should really consider getting some worthwhile prospects into the organization.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This doesnt make sense, people want the Yankees to go back to what made them successful? Cano is homegrown and hes better than pretty much any homegrown guy of that dynasty era other than Mo and Jeter.

Cano is not marketable. People do not come to the ballpark to see Cano. His play often comes across as indifferent and lazy despite the boatloads of talent. He is not the guy you build around.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
What different direction? bringing in more guys as FAs that fail like the Rangers have done? Cano is the one guy this team has that u do give the money to. Now if u think they will suck for years, I can see your point, don't think that happens. They misread in 08 and missed the playoffs and fixed that in 2009. can they do it again? this of season will be interesting

How about selling off the high-priced/aging talent and starting over? This team isn't any good, and they're only going to get worse if they continue down this path.

Remember how bad the Yankees were in the very early 90's? They had a great 20 year run here. Its time to take their medicine and start over, however painful it may be.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City

Rebuild.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

That's a completely different conversation.

If I were a Yankee fan, I would have more of an issue with him not playing hard consistently.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
That's a completely different conversation.

If I were a Yankee fan, I would have more of an issue with him not playing hard consistently.

On the contrary if I were a yankee fan I'd like that Cano doesn't run out balls to first as I don't think the extremely low chance of beating out a routine groundball (basically relying on an error) is worth the injury risk.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I disagee, I would have no problem building around Cano as long as its 7 years or less, Yankees print money, I don't want them to see Hal pocket it.. Also, if a guy who is a consistent 30/30/100 guy isnt who u build around, who is? I just think everyone is getting scared because of the Arod contract.. but the same people complain we didnt target Darvish, Chapman, Cespedes, Puig etc because of the Yankees being fearful of past failures.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
On the contrary if I were a yankee fan I'd like that Cano doesn't run out balls to first as I don't think the extremely low chance of beating out a routine groundball (basically relying on an error) is worth the injury risk.

He's the only guy we have that is both a star and durable, and the only guy to give money to.currently on this team.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

That sends a wonderful message, and is what sports are all about.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Cano is not marketable. People do not come to the ballpark to see Cano. His play often comes across as indifferent and lazy despite the boatloads of talent. He is not the guy you build around.

even with attendance down, the Yankees still have quite a few fans every night. Jeter has been out pretty much all year, they arent coming to see Brett Lilliibridge.. Yes, Mo has alot to do with it as well, but Cano is alot more popular than some Yankee fans believe

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I disagee, I would have no problem building around Cano as long as its 7 years or less, Yankees print money, I don't want them to see Hal pocket it.. Also, if a guy who is a consistent 30/30/100 guy isnt who u build around, who is? I just think everyone is getting scared because of the Arod contract.. but the same people complain we didnt target Darvish, Chapman, Cespedes, Puig etc because of the Yankees being fearful of past failures.

This is the entire basis of your argument and it just simply isn't true anymore. Yankees attendance is down almost 10% this year. The YES network's ratings are abysmal. They'll probably get a slight bump from people tuning into the A-Rod train wreck, but thats only temporary.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
even with attendance down, the Yankees still have quite a few fans every night. Jeter has been out pretty much all year, they arent coming to see Brett Lilliibridge.. Yes, Mo has alot to do with it as well, but Cano is alot more popular than some Yankee fans believe

So you'd give Cano a 7 year/150M deal? Why?

This team is going nowhere fast with or without Cano. Why flush the $150M on one of the least likable stars in the game?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
That sends a wonderful message, and is what sports are all about.

I disagree. The goal is to try and win a championship. You can't go all out 100% of the times. Hockey players don't play the whole game. Do you know how often errors are made on routine fly balls/pop ups? And then how many runs you can expect to get from that (not valuable at all with 2 outs etc..still need guys after you to produce). The amount you can possibly gain from Cano hustling on every single play is almost negligible. The amount you can lose, while addmittedtly also rare, is huge (see Wright as just one example).

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
This is the entire basis of your argument and it just simply isn't true anymore. Yankees attendance is down almost 10% this year. The YES network's ratings are abysmal. They'll probably get a slight bump from people tuning into the A-Rod train wreck, but thats only temporary.

The whole team is injured and they suck and alot are sending the Steinbrenners a message. If H&H put a quality team on the field people will pay the absurd prices. They wont do that right now to see Nix, Lillibridge, Wells, Ichiro, Overbay, etc.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
So you'd give Cano a 7 year/150M deal? Why?

This team is going nowhere fast with or without Cano. Why flush the $150M on one of the least likable stars in the game?

least likable stars in the game based on what? every other fanbase would love to have him

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I dont know why people think the Yankees are just going to get worse, ANY lineup they put on the field next year will be better than this one. They have some young pitching both in the rotation and pen. Nova/Phelps/Pineda will be better than anything Hughes or Andy gave us this year, Tex will be healthy who is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Overbay. Thats Gardner, Jeter, Tex, Cano (if we keep him) to start the lineup, Arod will be suspended, there will be money to spend with or without the budget. I also dont think CC is "done" like many other fans do though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad