2013 Misc News thread

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
:laugh: Yep. Anyone know how long Corvo is out?

He's practicing today so I expect him to play against the Jets.
LaRose is also back and goes straight on J Staals line.
Nash was recalled as expected.

Lines at the practice as reported by M. Smith:

Tlusty-E.Staal-Semin
Skinner-J.Staal-LaRose
Ruutu-Nash-Dwyer
Bowman-Jokinen-Wallace
Westgarth-Brent-Hall

Gleason-Corvo
Pitkanen-McBain
Harrison-Bellemore

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
Some PP work late in practice: first unit has E, J Staal, Semin, Skinner, Pitkanen; second unit: LaRose, Nash, Tlusty, Brent, McBain.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
Corvo alternating with McBain at point on second unit.

Why in the world is Brent still there? I get the handedness thing, I do, but eventually the difference in offensive ability between a McBain-Brent combo and a McBain-Corvo combo is bad enough that you don't care if Brent is yellow-handed, he can't stay on the point.

So dumb, I can't stand him there.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
We're abandoning the handedness on the first PP unit, going for overkill again.

I think Muller realized this when he had Brent and LaRose on the first unit for a few short minutes.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I assume no Jokinen because he sucks, no Ruutu because he's still getting in the swing of things.

I guess I can agree with Ruutu but I think a Jokinen is much more valuable (even if he sucks right now) than a Larose. No, I'm not trying to start another Larose bashing session.

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
At least LaRose is the one guy that will actually crash the net on our team, instead of acting like the only place you can score from is the fking point.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
:laugh: That second PP unit is embarrassingly subpar. Yes, Jussi is hot garbage this year, and yes, Ruutu is just coming back from injury, but they still have a better track record than Nash and LaRose. Put them out there and let them sort it out.

Has Jussi ever been tried out at the point? I want to say I vaguely remember him having some success there a couple years back but that might have been me playing a video game.

I do like the first unit, good mix of size and skill and playing style.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
:laugh: That second PP unit is embarrassingly subpar. Yes, Jussi is hot garbage this year, and yes, Ruutu is just coming back from injury, but they still have a better track record than Nash and LaRose. Put them out there and let them sort it out.

Has Jussi ever been tried out at the point? I want to say I vaguely remember him having some success there a couple years back but that might have been me playing a video game.

I do like the first unit, good mix of size and skill and playing style.

If the lines from today's practice hold, and Brent is on the second PP unit, Jussi might be a healthy scratch. It's also possible that he doesn't want to "reward" him with PP time while he's been lousy at even strength. I base that theory soley on McBain getting squat for PP time because that's the only way I can rationalize not using him in that role (while using Tim ****ing Brent there).

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
That's surprising, because McBain has actually been decent in his role (either as a bottom pairing defenseman or paired with someone much better than him). He is one of the few d on our team that is not overslotted.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It's also possible that he doesn't want to "reward" him with PP time while he's been lousy at even strength.

I can totally get behind that kind of accountability if that's the case. but if it is, then why is Skinner on the first PP unit? And why LaRose instead of Dwyer on the second?

I'm no fan of Jussi Jokinen at this point but wasn't this past four days supposed to be about wiping the slate clean and starting the season over again? I read that somewhere.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I wish we would just trade/waive Brent already so we don't have to see him on the PP. It's not like he contributes anything in other areas, either. The only thing that got finally got Jeff Hamilton off the PP was waivers and it appears it will have to come to it again.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Time Brent has the GAME of his career against the Canes, and JR had a hard-on for him ever since. He was supposed to be a monster on face-offs and a great penalty killer. Supposed to be...

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Is "Thank god Corvo is back" really a thing. Because, that's how I feel, and it's a bit disconcerting.

MD

Dec 1, 2009
NC
I haven't seen this posted anywhere else so i figured i'd put it here. Apparently management met with Dekeyser yesterday.

Mike Sundheim ‏@MikeSundheim 2h
Jim Rutherford, Ron Francis, Kirk Muller & Jason Karmanos met with college free agent @DeKeyser5 in Toronto yesterday.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The only reason we are trying to get this guy is to **** Detroit. I doubt JR even knew who he was until he overheard Mike Illitch bragging about him at the board meetings over the lockout.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I have a gut feeling that we will trade the farm for Bouwmeester.

Something ridiculous like R.Murphy + Rask + Jokinen + 1st

It will be a bigger overpayment than usual because Calgary will retain some salary

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Not sure where to put this question but anyway I'm just wondering your opinions. So at the start of the season, the gaping holes were top-4 defensemen and 3C. Obviously, the d still needs help but do you guys still think we need a 3C after what you have seen from Nash? He hasn't been here for long, but I've liked what I've seen from him. But want to know outside opinions.

Caniac4ever

Feb 7, 2008
I like what I've seen from Nash so far. He's not a lock by any means, but he's played well enough I would like to see him there some more. And I would much rather pump any money available into our defense at this point.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Nash seems like a quality player, I like him a lot. It's semi-unusual to see somebody that young with such a complete, polished overall game. Don't know if he is a long-term solution at 3C just because Rask seems destined for that spot. Nash seems like the perfect utility forward to me, though, he can do a little bit of everything from what I've seen he would probably do well on the wing too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad