2013 Misc News thread

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Not only was "Semin sucks defensively" a lie, but it was hilariously about as far the truth as possible.

Also, Staal seems motivated to actually play defense.

In my time of watching the Hurricanes, I have never seen us actually have a line that can play the puck possession game. One is brewing on the Staal-Semin line though.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
For the past few games it's been Pitkanen-McBain and Gleason-Faulk. Those also happen to be the games in which the Hurricanes have actually started scoring (even-strength) goals, as compared to the initial fail involved when we had Pitkanen and Faulk together to start the season and scored a whopping two goals in two games.

Also, Daniel Winnik.:laugh:

ah ok thanks for the explanation. i figured there was some pairing change i somehow failed to recognize.

and yeah, i kinda was like wtf when i saw his name so high up there.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Not only was "Semin sucks defensively" a lie, but it was hilariously about as far the truth as possible.

In my time of watching the Hurricanes, I have never seen us actually have a line that can play the puck possession game. One is brewing on the Staal-Semin line though.

Now we just need to acquire the third Sedin twin, and we'll be good.

Yes, that was intentional.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut

yes, yes it is. they have been quite the pairing together. cant imagine it has anything to do with Eric's surge in play recently, can we?:sarcasm: but watching Semin on the puck, he just doesnt give it up (mostly) which is amazing to see from a Canes fan perspective. Add that to Staal who is a force with the puck generally, and its like those 2 and whoever else is out there with them, and the puck just stays on their sticks, or at least stays in the O-Zone. McBain, Corvo, and Sangs have been the ones I have seen holding that blue line with great keep ins in the games ive watched, while Pits, Gleason, and Faulk have let a few easy ones squeak by. suprisingly

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Nick Petrecki on waivers today. He was a popular choice for the Canes to take in 2007. Could be worth a look.

Certainly couldn't hurt. We're definitely lacking physicality and grit from the blue line, so I don't see a reason for JR to not at least attempt this. If worst comes to worst, he doesn't impress the management if he gets game action, and gets put back on waivers for SJ to re-claim him and send him to Worcester.

EDIT: Ignore previous edit. Didn't realize we were at 22.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah we can pick up an extra. I just don't see us carrying 8 dmen again any time soon. Not unless Westgarth and Nodl are constantly healthy scratches and we start playing Sangs on the wing ala Joslin.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Harvard's season ended with a loss to Dartmouth in the ECAC tournament on Sunday. Not a surprising move.

Hopefully that means he won't be long for signing an ELC.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Harvard's season ended with a loss to Dartmouth in the ECAC tournament on Sunday. Not a surprising move.

Hopefully that means he won't be long for signing an ELC.

Indeed, I'd love to see what this kid can do at the pro level. Might be a year or two before he's up here, but goodness knows Charlotte can use anyone with a pulse right now.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Indeed, I'd love to see what this kid can do at the pro level. Might be a year or two before he's up here, but goodness knows Charlotte can use anyone with a pulse right now.

When do the OHL playoffs start? Have to think once Plymouth is bounced Mahalak will be on his way to Charlotte, no?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Looks like the regular season for the OHL ends March 17.

Also, Cornell advanced in the ECAC and will play Quinnipiac (top seed) in a best of 3 from 3/15-3/17. If they lose, we could see Andy Isles signed as DaveG suggested in the thread about Ward's MCL injury.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Looks like the regular season for the OHL ends March 17.

Also, Cornell advanced in the ECAC and will play Quinnipiac (top seed) in a best of 3 from 3/15-3/17. If they lose, we could see Andy Isles signed as DaveG suggested in the thread about Ward's MCL injury.

Any other names that might get an NHL after the NCAA season is over? I don't follow it at all

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Eric Hartzell, Quinipiac's goalie, is the prize of the NCAA UFA class this year IMO. Casey DeSmith from UNH I'm also fairly high on. Andy Iles is a semi-known quantity, former USNTDP product playing at Cornell who was at our prospects camp this past year. None of those 3 would be a surprise signing to me.

Up front I believe Austin Czarnik (Miami) is UFA eligible now. Former NTDP prospect and cousin to Robbie. Steven Whitney (BC), prototypical midget scoring machine from them. Ryan Walters (Nebraska-Omaha) is probably the one guy doing the most with the least around him up front.

Couldn't tell you on dmen this year, haven't heard of any top UFAs in that regard. Maybe George Hughes, but I haven't seen SLU play.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Dave, how can you forget Dan DeKeyser out of Western Michigan?! I think he's probably the class of this group. People were all over him last year at this time thinking he'd leave a year early. I can't imagine the hype has gotten any less significant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad