Line Combos: 2013 Minnesota Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Mays Here*

when the wild resign palmeiri he will be asking for a one-way. we will move up Mitchell to third line like it was stated after the signing, and rotate powe/kenopka/kassian as last spot/13th foward.

Parise Koivu Heatley
Cullen Granlund Seto
Mitchell Brodziak Clutter
Powe Kenopka Palmeiri
Kassian

Suter Spurgeron
Stoner Gilbert
Falk Prosser

backs
hards

will be opening lineup.

Source? Or is that why we still haven't re-signed him in the first place?

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I was really trying to emotionally distance myself from the Wild during the lockout. Didn't see this season ever happening, and even came to the point where I didn't care if they just went ahead and cancelled it. So in order to wake up my senses, I started reading all of the Free Agency Threads from July 4th on the other 29 team forums. It's like a drug. I was thinking about what our roster was like 2-3 years ago. And now, I'm looking at the possible line-ups for this year. And look at the guys waiting in Houston for a call-up. Damn....gives me special tingles all over. :laugh:

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Zucker - Granlund - Setoguchi
Cullen - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Mitchell - Konopka - Kassian/Palmieri

Suter - Spurgeon
Gilbert - Scandella
Stoner - Falk/Prosser

Defense could use some more work though. ;)

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
To be honest, we should just move one of Dowell/Powe/Veilleux to D. :laugh:
Oh god, does Veilleux still have a contract with the Wild?

This team just can't get rid of that guy.

Glad we wasted one of those contract spots on him and now we can't sign a UFA Dman (even if there aren't any good options).

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Oh god, does Veilleux still have a contract with the Wild?

This team just can't get rid of that guy.

Glad we wasted one of those contract spots on him and now we can't sign a UFA Dman (even if there aren't any good options).

Veilleux was a great fourth liner for the Wild down the stretch last year. He was signed to a 2-way because we needed veterans in Houston and to be available in case of injuries. Just like Dowell.

We have a TON of defensemen under contract now:
- Suter
- Spurgeon
- Gilbert
- Stoner
- Falk
- Prosser
- Scandella
- Brodin
- Cuma
- Kampfer
- Connelly
- Genoway

The problem is that five of those guys are hurt. Essentially we have nearly an entire hockey team's worth of injured defensemen.

The Wild can't rebuild the entire D corps in one offseason...we added Suter and brought over Brodin. Next year we can make decisions on Falk, Cuma, Kampfer, and Medvec.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
jarick your first post you have zucker paired w granlund, i just dont think 2 rookies together would be a good idea. i would put granlund on the first line w parise & koivu; 2nd line seto / brodz / heatley. 3rd mitchell / cullen / clutterbuck. im sure zucker will be called up sooner or later this season. next year we will probably need to open up a roster spot for coyle or zucker (maybe both).

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I don't count Granlund as a rookie honestly. And they have some chemistry together.

Honestly this is going to be such a strange season. A lot of NHL'ers might come in out of shape while some guys were in Europe. A lot of young rookies have been playing together and building chemistry in the AHL.

I think it's actually beneficial to have some talented rookies come up from Houston as they've been playing already.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't count Granlund as a rookie honestly. And they have some chemistry together.

Honestly this is going to be such a strange season. A lot of NHL'ers might come in out of shape while some guys were in Europe. A lot of young rookies have been playing together and building chemistry in the AHL.

I think it's actually beneficial to have some talented rookies come up from Houston as they've been playing already.

Russo mentioned that same thing on the radio this morning. I don't know. You could even say Zucker isn't your average rookie either, playing those handful of NHL games last year and now playing as well as he has been in Houston.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Cullen is still a bit of an eyesore on the 2nd line, but pretty good anyways.

Not sure we're putting Granlund in the best position to succeed, but oh well. I'm sure it will be re-evaluated after 5-10 games or so.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I'd rather have Coyle than Clutterbuck on the 3rd. Why? Because Bouchard and Brodziak can both cycle the puck and maintain offensive presence. Clutterbuck can't. Coyle can.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd rather have Coyle than Clutterbuck on the 3rd. Why? Because Bouchard and Brodziak can both cycle the puck and maintain offensive presence. Clutterbuck can't. Coyle can.

Interesting thought. Coyle's success in Houston changes drastically when he is with Granlund and Bouchard is a similar-type playmaker so it really shouldn't hurt his offensive development. Also, it gives him a way to adjust to the NHL without being thrown right into the top6.

The only question is whether Clutterbuck would be dropped to the 4th line (not ideal, IMO) or dealt for a 2nd pairing LHD (my choice).

No offense to Cullen, but these line combos would be much more fun to make without his name stuck in there.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Interesting thought. Coyle's success in Houston changes drastically when he is with Granlund and Bouchard is a similar-type playmaker so it really shouldn't hurt his offensive development. Also, it gives him a way to adjust to the NHL without being thrown right into the top6.

The only question is whether Clutterbuck would be dropped to the 4th line (not ideal, IMO) or dealt for a 2nd pairing LHD (my choice).

No offense to Cullen, but these line combos would be much more fun to make without his name stuck in there.

Brodziak plays a similar game to Coyle. Those two cycle to Butch, find Brodziak or Coyle in front for the tip, screen, or rebound. Brodziak and Coyle would wear down defenders...

Brodziak and Johnson (before he gave up/wore down) cycled the hell out of opposing defenses. I like this the more I think about it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Brodziak plays a similar game to Coyle. Those two cycle to Butch, find Brodziak or Coyle in front for the tip, screen, or rebound. Brodziak and Coyle would wear down defenders...

They would also be going up against mostly 3rd pairing defenders, which they would hold a tremendous advantage over.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Clutterbuck isn't going to be on the 4th line.

And Coyle isn't starting the year with the Wild, IMO. Especially if Bouchard can actually go from the start.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Clutterbuck isn't going to be on the 4th line.

And Coyle isn't starting the year with the Wild, IMO. Especially if Bouchard can actually go from the start.

Is that because of circumstance or is he not ready? I agree with the others that I think that the combination of players on that line could really work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad