Status
Not open for further replies.

countrygentleman

The Kaptain Says ARR
Jan 14, 2010
Minnesota
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/193156151.html

Really good article from Russo about the dump and chase

As I commented on the article, if dumping and chasing isn't the problem in of itself, why hasn't Yeo been able to get the Wild to implement the system the way he wants it. THAT is 100% on Yeo. Sure, maybe we shouldn't criticize the dump and chase, but we sure as hell can/should complain about Yeo not being able to get the guys to play it effectively.

OpRedDawn*

i think he's just a control freak that stifles any shred of creativity this roster might have

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/193156151.html

Really good article from Russo about the dump and chase

"You put a couple pucks in behind the defensemen and let [Cal Clutterbuck] run loose on them, as the game wears on, they'll start to get tired, their gaps will get worse and suddenly everything about their defensive coverage gets softer. They don't want to get hit anymore."

That's a great strategy if you have a team that is willing to pay the price in the corners. Throw the puck in and run the defenseman in the corner and intimidate him and make him screw up, that's hockey 101. The Wild however, can't seem to win the majority of these puck battles 1 on 1 and so they get 1 shot and the puck comes out of the zone. It all comes down to the willingness to pay the price in the corners and IMO the players don't have that right now.

I absolutely hate the lack of physicality.The thought has crossed my mind on a few occasions that the Wild has invested too much in finesse players, and not enough in power forward types. The NHL seems to be dominated by the big power forwards right now.

Emilie

Feb 6, 2013
MN
As I commented on the article, if dumping and chasing isn't the problem in of itself, why hasn't Yeo been able to get the Wild to implement the system the way he wants it. THAT is 100% on Yeo. Sure, maybe we shouldn't criticize the dump and chase, but we sure as hell can/should complain about Yeo not being able to get the guys to play it effectively.

Did you even read the article? Both Parise and Koivu stated that it was a player issue.

I'm not sure how you could put this even close to 100% on Yeo. The players aren't doing their jobs, and Yeo can't be on the ice making them do it. He's job is to make sure they understand what they're suppose to to do, where they're suppose to be. No coach can force players to chase the puck or forecheck. If there's a group of guys who aren't doing it all the time, how exactly is Yeo suppose to force them to do it?

Emilie

Feb 6, 2013
MN
Falk looks like a beast once a game when he carries the puck up to offensive blueline, he needs to do that more often. He needs to be more assertive and physical. His defense is shaky but I like his skating ability and hope he develops more. Stoner has soured on me completely so far this season.

Edit: I want to see Scandella back too.

Scandella is injuried so it won't be happening soon regardless

countrygentleman

The Kaptain Says ARR
Jan 14, 2010
Minnesota
Did you even read the article? Both Parise and Koivu stated that it was a player issue.

I'm not sure how you could put this even close to 100% on Yeo. The players aren't doing their jobs, and Yeo can't be on the ice making them do it. He's job is to make sure they understand what they're suppose to to do, where they're suppose to be. No coach can force players to chase the puck or forecheck. If there's a group of guys who aren't doing it all the time, how exactly is Yeo suppose to force them to do it?

Isn't it the coach's job to get the players to "do their jobs"? Isn't it your boss' responsibility to watch over you and make sure you come to work prepared for that day? And if you're not then he talks with you and comes up with a plan so you're ready to do whatever your job may be.

Same goes for coaches. Why aren't the players doing their jobs? It is Yeo's responsibility to figure it out and correct it. A sea captain won't simply notice a severe list and note that the ship should be sailing straight, no he goes down there and figures out what the issue is.

Lemaire was given lifeless roster after lifeless roster and he got those teams to win when they never should have. It's poor taste to defend Yeo by saying the players aren't performing. It is the coach's responsibility to get the players to perform.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not sure where else to post this, so I'll do it here.

Great story:

Hockey helping Medal of Honor winner Romesha

"It's an amazing sport to watch. Being with the Minnesota boys, they dialed me into the Wild. Cal Clutterbuck, what a sweet hockey name," said Romesha, 31, who began to see parallels between a hockey team and his platoon. "You can see the direct correlation for teamwork. You have to hold down your sector, your zone, your assignment. Just like hockey."

All three of these guys are such heroes and showed such bravery. Not just that day, but to sit a Northern California knucklehead like me down and tune me into a great sport like hockey. I can't put into words how much those guys mean to me," Romesha said. "They were at the ceremony at the White House and the Pentagon. We're going to try to link up and go see a Wild game. We'll have to put a date on the calendar and get everyone together and go have a few beers and beat on the glass."

C'mon Wild front office, we all know you read these boards...step up and invite this hero to do the "Lets Play Hockey" before a game.....

Emilie

Feb 6, 2013
MN
Isn't it the coach's job to get the players to "do their jobs"? Isn't it your boss' responsibility to watch over you and make sure you come to work prepared for that day? And if you're not then he talks with you and comes up with a plan so you're ready to do whatever your job may be.

Same goes for coaches. Why aren't the players doing their jobs? It is Yeo's responsibility to figure it out and correct it. A sea captain won't simply notice a severe list and note that the ship should be sailing straight, no he goes down there and figures out what the issue is.

Lemaire was given lifeless roster after lifeless roster and he got those teams to win when they never should have. It's poor taste to defend Yeo by saying the players aren't performing. It is the coach's responsibility to get the players to perform.

HAHA, ok. My bad taste and I will just have to disagree with you.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
I don't buy it for a second that the Wild plays the same way everybody else does. For us, dump and chase is the planned option. For most other teams, it's the option if none else exists.

Besides, even if dump and chase was the way to go, we clearly don't have have the personnel to play it well. Slow and/or small isn't the way to go, management.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
oh look, and he's also saying calm the **** down you reactionary ********.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Yeah he was praising Yeo, too. Well, blamed the lockout and lack of training camp for Yeo's issues mostly.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I wonder if Ponder could aim and throw a football on the rink and actually get it there... or maybe it would enter the stands instead. lol

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
if we're lucky, he'll attempt a throw while standing on the ice, slip, and break his shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad