Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Oh good, you've been visiting this site for awhile then

I know that this thread is not to be taken seriously ;).

But I have a soft spot for the Leafs. They are probably my favorite team in the East and I read quite a lot in here. Though, it is really really hard to root for them after suffering through reading these kind of posts on here and even worse at the main board.

Excuse me. I will try to avoid hijacking the thread in the future ;).

On Topic: I really believe that the Leafs should not make a major trade at all at this point.

They have made the right moves under Nonis and finally let the young guys play. Kadri looks good so far. Maybe he will shut everyone up.
Gardiner will prove if he is really meant for greatness or not. If he is you can always trade Rielly. If not Rielly is there to pick up the slack in a year or two.
Leafs need to develop their prospects and try to draft that #1 C.

In the meantime I would try to trade MacArthur and Bozak ( if Kadri could hold down the #1 or #2 C position somehow) and everyother expendable piece
(Liles, Gunnarson?, Komi?) for whatever kind of picks they can get.

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Try to trade Bozak? Why?

He's elevated his game and is a great fit on our team. I don't get why we would do that considering we won't get enough value back to make up for his loss

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Try to trade Bozak? Why?

He's elevated his game and is a great fit on our team. I don't get why we would do that considering we won't get enough value back to make up for his loss

Well it basically comes down to keeping one of Grabo and Bozak in the long run. Neither of them is the answer at the #1 C spot.
You have McClement to fill the #3 C spot and maybe Kadri can play center as well ( I personally think that he will top out as a winger)

The bottom line is that Bozak will be an UFA this year and he will probably get overpaid because of his production between Lupul and Kessel.
Keeping him as an expensive #3 C is not the way to go. That spot can be filled from within.

Leafs have a decision to make here. I don't think that the on ice presence of those expendable pieces justifies not cashing them in at the deadline. You might disagree. It might be the one or two point difference in making the playoffs or not. But my key for the Leafs would and has always been to build up a solid foundation.

Therefore it makes sense to maximize the value of your assets and that is why I would trade Bozak at the deadline

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Well it basically comes down to keeping one of Grabo and Bozak in the long run. Neither of them is the answer at the #1 C spot.
You have McClement to fill the #3 C spot and maybe Kadri can play center as well ( I personally think that he will top out as a winger)

The bottom line is that Bozak will be an UFA this year and he will probably get overpaid because of his production between Lupul and Kessel.

Leafs have a decision to make here. I don't think that the on ice presence of those expendable pieces justifies not cashing them in at the deadline. You might disagree. It might be the one or two point difference in making the playoffs or not. But my key for the Leafs would and has always been to build up a solid foundation.

Therefore it makes sense to maximize the value of your assets and that is why I would trade Bozak at the deadline

You should have just said the bolded.

This is a decision for the deadline. Too much hockey to be played right now.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You should have just said the bolded.

This is a decision for the deadline. Too much hockey to be played right now.

Well this shortened season screws everything up basically.

Trade deadline is april 3rd.
April 27th is the final day of the regular season.

I am not sure that 24 days of Bozak + possible playoffs would garner close to the return of what he would get right now or in a month.

We will see. I agree that they should not make moves right now but they should keep an eye on when team are prepared to offer up the most. That might very well be April 3rd. Could also be in 10 games.

They should just be prepared for this situation. That is all I am saying.

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
Unless wed be getting massive overpayment, whats the point of trading bozak, hes a good underrated player AND looks like hes gonna THRIVE under carlysle, not to mention he is killing the faceoff dot

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Bozak looks legit this year.

Give him time. Looks faster and stronger this year. PPG so far. His defensive play, and board work has been phenomenal.

Luckily Nonis isn't stupid enough to trade him right now.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
James Sheppard or Peter Mueller two players we seriously need to look into for some much added skill and both just 24 .

Mueller himself questioned his own desire to continue his career in the NHL. Boom or bust guys, that dont look to be impact players in the NHL long term.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Bozak looks legit this year.

Give him time. Looks faster and stronger this year. PPG so far. His defensive play, and board work has been phenomenal.

Luckily Nonis isn't stupid enough to trade him right now.

One could also make the argument that Bozak is in a contract year and that Nonis being stupid by trading him might be him pulling the hated "Sell-High"-move.
It usually freaks out the fanbase but turns out to be a great move in hindsight more often than not.

My point was simply that one of Grabo and Bozak will have to be moved in the future. With Bozak becoming an UFA this offseason, it would not be the worst time to trade him between now and the deadline for some assets.

Oh and as an Avs fan: Stay away from Mueller.
The time to pick him up was this offseason.
He is not worth giving up the kind of value Florida would want.

His concussion issues led to him being released by the Avs. Avs may be overly cautious but I am not sure that investing assets into Mueller would be smart.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Sheppard hasn't shown anything at the pro level (AHL or NHL)
Mueller is more injury prone then Antropov was, and is soft as butter.

Grass isn't always greener on the other side.

thepatient

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs need to decide if they are going for the playoffs or "tanking" very soon. If they want to let the young guys take it and see where they end up they can keep the team as is but if they want to sneak in to the playoffs they need to make a trade to replace Lupul. MacArthur and Kessel do not work together, we tried it last year with no results. Even if the trade is a stop gap where you give up a Franson or a mid pick. Heck, you could trade MacArthur for a comparable skilled winger that would better suit Phil's style.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Trust me so did i and believe if Nonis was the GM at that time he would of signed him , not only is he a friend of Kessels and they played together but he is a great talent

That's your opinion, but Mueller was going to quit hockey all together, and has been criticized throughout his career for not putting forth the effort, with the great skill set he has. Maybe he does turn it around, but I doubt it.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
mac alone could get that if the philly team is desperate, recall versteeg? Franson IMO could get a C+ prospect

I wouldn't hesitate if Philly gave us their 1st for Mac. And i'd rather a draft pick over a prospect. We have enough C+ - B prospects... more draft picks would give us flexibility in the draft and give us the option of trading up if we wanted to

i.e... leafs finish with the 10th pick

trade 10th + 1st from Mac trade + 2nd from Franson trade? for the 3rd-5th pick

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Franson and Mac to Philly for their 1st and 3rd.

That would land the Leafs a top 5 pick :sarcasm:

IMO in what I think they should be doing this year come the trade deadline is clear spots and get picks.

Come the draft use the picks and prospects not named Kadri, Gardiner, Reilly to fill the roster of a top notch player if it's available or just continue to improve from within. UFA it's either go for the elite or don't bother at all getting involved.

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
I'm totally going to get flamed for this, but I think that the Leafs actually need a veteran big body who can crash the net on the first line with Bozak and Kessel. I know, I know, no old guys, but I'm sick and tired of watching a bunch of kids completely lose their **** when momentum shifts. The "youngest team in the NHL" thing is cool, but you need older guys to mentor the kids.

My proposal is... Johan "The Mule" Franzen.

Detroit is on their way into a rebuild and they would probably be willing to deal a guy like Franzen who might need a change of scenery. His contract is long, but his cap hit is 4.0M, and he gives us what we've been missing for years, a net presence. Think about how many Kessel snipes would go in with some net presence. Plus he is clutch in the playoffs (if we ever get there). Most of these guys have never seen the playoffs. We will need a vet to help show the way.

Detroit is in desperate need for a right-handed D, and we have one to trade in Cody Franson. We could also give them MacArthur back to replace losing a winger, and maybe get a 1st rounder out of them for taking the ridiculously long contract of their hands.

To Toronto:
Johan Franzen
1st 2013

To Detroit:
MacArthur
Franson

Once Lupul comes back...

Franzen - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Grabovski - Kulemin
JVR - Kadri - Frattin

Thoughts? (Please be nice)

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I'm totally going to get flamed for this, but I think that the Leafs actually need a veteran big body who can crash the net on the first line with Bozak and Kessel. I know, I know, no old guys, but I'm sick and tired of watching a bunch of kids completely lose their **** when momentum shifts. The "youngest team in the NHL" thing is cool, but you need older guys to mentor the kids.

Detroit is on their way into a rebuild and they would probably be willing to deal a guy like Franzen who might need a change of scenery. His contract is long, but his cap hit is 4.0M, and he gives us what we've been missing for years, a net presence. Think about how many Kessel snipes would go in with some net presence. Plus he is clutch in the playoffs (if we ever get there). Most of these guys have never seen the playoffs. We will need a vet to help show the way.

Detroit is in desperate need for a right-handed D, and we have one to trade in Cody Franson. We could also give them MacArthur back to replace losing a winger, and maybe get a 1st rounder out of them for taking the ridiculously long contract of their hands.

To Toronto:
Johan Franzen
1st 2013

To Detroit:
MacArthur
Franson

Once Lupul comes back...

Franzen - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Frattin

Franzen is soft and is a cherry picker.

I'd do that deal either way even with that brutal contract. That 1st is intriguing

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

To Toronto:
Johan Franzen
1st 2013

To Detroit:
MacArthur
Franson

Once Lupul comes back...

Franzen - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Frattin

I'd do this for sure