Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
They'd want Kulemin before they want MacArthur. Think of the possible chemistry between Kulemin and Datsyuk.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm totally going to get flamed for this, but I think that the Leafs actually need a veteran big body who can crash the net on the first line with Bozak and Kessel. I know, I know, no old guys, but I'm sick and tired of watching a bunch of kids completely lose their **** when momentum shifts. The "youngest team in the NHL" thing is cool, but you need older guys to mentor the kids.

My proposal is... Johan "The Mule" Franzen.

Detroit is on their way into a rebuild and they would probably be willing to deal a guy like Franzen who might need a change of scenery. His contract is long, but his cap hit is 4.0M, and he gives us what we've been missing for years, a net presence. Think about how many Kessel snipes would go in with some net presence. Plus he is clutch in the playoffs (if we ever get there). Most of these guys have never seen the playoffs. We will need a vet to help show the way.

Detroit is in desperate need for a right-handed D, and we have one to trade in Cody Franson. We could also give them MacArthur back to replace losing a winger, and maybe get a 1st rounder out of them for taking the ridiculously long contract of their hands.

To Toronto:
Johan Franzen
1st 2013

To Detroit:
MacArthur
Franson

Once Lupul comes back...

Franzen - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Grabovski - Kulemin
JVR - Kadri - Frattin

Thoughts? (Please be nice)

completely agree the Leafs need a couple of players willing to play in the dirty areas around the net, who they could get is debatable, certainly this is critical for the powerplay, Leaf are forever cycling the puck around the perimeter with no gumption of taking a shot, maybe with some traffic in front of the net, someone, ANYONE might shoot the puck!

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
again I'd suggest kicking the tiers on Dubinsky in CLS

something like a package of
vet , connolly or steckel
depth dman, Franson or Holzer
mid prospect, d'amigo, blacker, ryan or scott

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
again I'd suggest kicking the tiers on Dubinsky in CLS

something like a package of
vet , connolly or steckel
depth dman, Franson or Holzer
mid prospect, d'amigo, blacker, ryan or scott

Can I ask, why are we getting Dubi when we already have Bozak? The two are way too similar. Plus, Dubi didn't exactly do wonders for his game playing for the ECHL during the lockout.

I'd pass on Dubi.

We would be better off targeting Clowe, or someone of that elk, again.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Can I ask, why are we getting Dubi when we already have Bozak? The two are way too similar. Plus, Dubi didn't exactly do wonders for his game playing for the ECHL during the lockout.

I'd pass on Dubi.

he plays LW or C and plays a different game than Bozak
he'll go to the dirty areas and throw his body around and score

Lupul/Bozak/Kessel
JVR/Grabo/Kulemin
Dubinsky/Kadri/Mac
Komvarov/Mc/Brown

without a legit #1 C the leafs should play a top 9....especially for this season with so many games

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
So Dreger said Nonis is considering moving one of Gunnar/Franson (check the Nonis interview thread). What can we realistically get for Franson? I don't think Nonis would really want a pick. A struggling PWF/prospect would be ideal I think.

From Nonis' interview last night, it seems like he'll give these guys 10 games to showcase their game, and show him which one is more expendable. Common sense says Franson.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
So Dreger said Nonis is considering moving one of Gunnar/Franson (check the Nonis interview thread). What can we realistically get for Franson? I don't think Nonis would really want a pick. A struggling PWF/prospect would be ideal I think.

From Nonis' interview last night, it seems like he'll give these guys 10 games to showcase their game, and show him which one is more expendable. Common sense says Franson.

Agreed Franson for a struggling PWF or Prospect would be idle

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Franson + for DSP ?

Pretty sure DSP has been struggling thus far.

I would absolutely love it, but I don't see the Ducks moving him. They don't really have many prospects similar to him.

EDIT: One trade that could workout for the Ducks would be Biggs + Franson for DSP. We basically give up Franson as the price for getting Biggs' NHL ready version. I wouldn't mind it.

Who is DSP

Devante Smith-Pelley

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
he plays LW or C and plays a different game than Bozak
he'll go to the dirty areas and throw his body around and score

Lupul/Bozak/Kessel
JVR/Grabo/Kulemin
Dubinsky/Kadri/Mac
Komvarov/Mc/Brown

without a legit #1 C the leafs should play a top 9....especially for this season with so many games

I still don't see the value in spending our defensive depth plus a prospect in acquiring a 3rd line winger. We have enough of them. Frattin does what Dubi does.

VALDAL said:
Bozak is meh McClement is meh Mueller has more potential then most and is more skilled

I'd like to see Mueller too, but he didn't sign here and we have Bozak. Again, same thing - not enough of an upgrade of Bozer to substantiate the price of acquisition. If we get him and he plays another 30 games for us a season, how useful is that? Lupul's ressurection was an outlier - no one expected it, and it's certainly not the norm.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
hypathetically, what could we get for kessel ?

the one idea i keep going to back to is if the Islanders end up with a top 5 pick and Kessel doesn't indicate to be resigning or a fit then something around that pick for him

ideally leafs come out of this draft with two top 5 picks + Rielly could be a great core to build around

imagine

Jones or MacK
Barkov or Druin
Rielly

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
the one idea i keep going to back to is if the Islanders end up with a top 5 pick and Kessel doesn't indicate to be resigning or a fit then something around that pick for him

ideally leafs come out of this draft with two top 5 picks + Rielly could be a great core to build around

imagine

Jones or MacK
Barkov or Druin
Rielly

but we gave up 2 1sts to get him

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
well lets say....... vancouver

Nothing that would help us more than Kessel.

IMO Kessel could fetch something like Strome, decent prospect, 2nd.

Not sure if Strome is any better than what we have in Kadri though.

He'll fetch something in between what Carter and Richards fetched.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Nothing that would help us more than Kessel.

IMO Kessel could fetch something like Strome, decent prospect, 2nd.

Not sure if Strome is any better than what we have in Kadri though.

He'll fetch something in between what Carter and Richards fetched.
I like strome skill but question his capabilities in other aspect of the game. He has proved me wrong for sure as his hockey sense has made me realize he's good but he still needs to work on other aspects of the game to be complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad