2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings X - Steckel traded, next on the docket...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Buffalo Sabres looking to make moves prior to NHL trade deadline

Sources say the Sabres aren't going to move high-scoring winger Thomas Vanek or top prospects Marcus Foligno, Cody Hodgson or Alexander Sulzer. Nobody would take Tyler Myers' contract, but every player is up for discussion.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/03/16/buffalo-sabres-looking-to-make-moves-prior-to-nhl-trade-deadline

At 23 with 6 years remaining at 5.5 million that takes him throghout what should be the best years of his career I'd consider taking a shot at him.

He has fallen on hard times like a lot of young players do but he has such a unique skillset at 6'8", right shot (only 1/3 of all dmen are), skates good for a big man and has offensive upside.

I wouldn't give up a lot for him but I'd certainly inquire.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd like to see how the line-up looks with Lupul back playing now.

I don't mean to downgrade Bozak, because I think he is a competent center ice, but here is where my thinking it.

Kopitar versus Bozak

Yes, I know Kopitar is not available, but that is the type of player the Leafs should be targeting, otherwise who cares if the upgrade is from Bozak to a Weiss. It really isn't worth giving up assets for such a small upgrade.

Weiss isn't going to get any better, whereas there is still hope Johansen has untapped upside, and keep in mind the Leafs are still in the rebuild phase not the contend phase.

On defense they already have 2 pieces who might be able to make a difference, in Rielly and Gardiner.

On offense I don't really see anyone in the system that makes me say "just wait for ??? to arrive", the prospects look more like depth and bottom 6 players.

JVR-Kopitar_Like-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
MacArthur-Bozak-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Orr

Phaneuf-Murray_Like
Gunnarsson-Gardiner
Franson-Rielly
Cast of Thousands

I just don't see Grabovski being a shutdown center, and it isn't his fault he's being asked to be that player. Carlyle must think that is the best role for him based on what Carlyle has available to use.

Grabovski's contract is fine if he's being used as an offensive player, but this current situation reminds me of picking a defensive, limited skilled, defender at 5th. overall. It isn't something I'd support (like I matter :laugh:).

With the way Grabovski is being deployed I don't see how it builds up value in him, unless we're in a holding pattern this year, and they have decided to let Bozak walk, meaning next year we're looking at Kadri, Grabovski, McClement as the top 3 centers.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I agree with these both. That said, the more I see of Phaneuf game the more he looks like he doesn't belong on the top pair. He has gone through tons of defensemen in his career and just never looks good.
- Regeher on the flames who is a quality shutdown defender
- Beauchimen on the leafs another very good top pairing shutdown defender
- AHLers du jour (Aulie, Kostka, Holzer) were disaster
- Average NHL defenders (Gunnar, Komisarek and Schenn) who phaneuf never could carry in the top pair.

Why - well because Phaneuf and his 6.5M needs a team mate that carries him. He is not good enough to be the go to guy on leaf defence. The two things that are consistent in the above examples are Phaneuf and bad defense. At some point it is right to ask the question if Phaneuf is the problem with that first pair.

BTW Schenn look good on the flyers this year (with Timmo), Beauchi is incredible with the ducks and Souray. But Phaneuf managed to make every team mate he has played with look awful. And so much so the leafs traded good players away (Beauchimen and Schenn) just to hold onto a broken defender in Phanuef. Phaneuf is not the type of player that makes his team mates look better. Instead Phaneuf needs a quality defender (better then Beachimen) to make him look like a #1D. Put together a list of defencemen better then Beauchmen and that is the type of player that the 6.5M Phaneuf needs just so we can call him a #1D. This guy is inconsistent - great one game and terrible the next and is a big part of the reason why the leafs will continue to struggle.

Are all-star dman who carried this team on his back through the first half of last season.

If Phaneuf made 5 million or less everybody would rave about him. Unfortunatly he doesn't but where else would we spend that money?

Phaneuf plays against the toughest compeition and is expected to produce offence and shut people down. Phaneuf isn't the problem it's that there is no a true # 2 or the argument could be made even a great # 3 dman on this team at the moment.

Phaneuf has also had success with quite a few of those dmen you mentioned. Where is Aulie now? How has Gunnarson looked without him? Beauchemin wasn't the same player in Toronto as he has been with the Ducks? Holzer/Kostka are AHLer in their 1st seasons with projected bottom pairing upside, how is that fair for Phaneuf to have to play 20-25 minutes with them?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
At 23 with 6 years remaining at 5.5 million that takes him throghout what should be the best years of his career I'd consider taking a shot at him.

He has fallen on hard times like a lot of young players do but he has such a unique skillset at 6'8", right shot (only 1/3 of all dmen are), skates good for a big man and has offensive upside.

Oh, i'd offer some quality to get him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
straight up... NO way!

I would listen to something like:

TOR: Burns + Havlat + 1st
SJ: Kessel + Gunnarsson + Kulemin

Huge overpayment by Leafs.

The 1st. will likely be in the 20's or late teens if they faulter, which I don't buy just yet.

Burns plays 17 minutes a night, he'd be a salary dump. Havlat plays 16 minutes a night and has 6 points.

Take Kessel out of the deal and it is closer to fair, and the Leafs still end up with a crap contract.

If the Sharks are pulling the chute, deciding their current roster has to be blown up then start looking at the top end guys, not their spare parts.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'd like to see how the line-up looks with Lupul back playing now.

I don't mean to downgrade Bozak, because I think he is a competent center ice, but here is where my thinking it.

Kopitar versus Bozak

Yes, I know Kopitar is not available, but that is the type of player the Leafs should be targeting, otherwise who cares if the upgrade is from Bozak to a Weiss. It really isn't worth giving up assets for such a small upgrade.

Weiss isn't going to get any better, whereas there is still hope Johansen has untapped upside, and keep in mind the Leafs are still in the rebuild phase not the contend phase.

On defense they already have 2 pieces who might be able to make a difference, in Rielly and Gardiner.

On offense I don't really see anyone in the system that makes me say "just wait for ??? to arrive", the prospects look more like depth and bottom 6 players.

JVR-Kopitar_Like-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
MacArthur-Bozak-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Orr

Phaneuf-Murray_Like
Gunnarsson-Gardiner
Franson-Rielly
Cast of Thousands

I just don't see Grabovski being a shutdown center, and it isn't his fault he's being asked to be that player. Carlyle must think that is the best role for him based on what Carlyle has available to use.

Grabovski's contract is fine if he's being used as an offensive player, but this current situation reminds me of picking a defensive, limited skilled, defender at 5th. overall. It isn't something I'd support (like I matter :laugh:).

With the way Grabovski is being deployed I don't see how it builds up value in him, unless we're in a holding pattern this year, and they have decided to let Bozak walk, meaning next year we're looking at Kadri, Grabovski, McClement as the top 3 centers.

Kopitar, Datsyuk, Getzlaf, Tavares, Stamkos, Kesler... we will only draft these players.

Make no mistake, Weiss is a big upgrade over Bozak. So is Filppula, Laich, Ott, Ribiero...etc. But I do agree that none are worth giving up assets for right now. I agree with the assessment of Grabo, and eventually I see our 3rd line taking on the shut-down role. I think if you put Grabo between different wingers he gets much better. I also don't think our primary concern is building Grabo's value towards a trade - we have much more pressing issues at hand.

To be clear - are you advocating take a big run at a clear-cut #1C or top-pairing D? Or are you falling on the side of drafting the #1C and either trading for or signing via FA a stop-gap #1C to play the next couple years in wait of the emergence of our drafted #1C?

Really, really like what I see of Kadri and Lupul. Lupul is exactly the all-purpose type of winger Kadri needs, so much so that Carlyle even put Orr out there with him and they still produced. If they ever got some wheels on the other wing a la Mason Raymond or Carl Hagelin, watch out - that line would be a huge threat.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Kopitar, Datsyuk, Getzlaf, Tavares, Stamkos, Kesler... we will only draft these players.

Make no mistake, Weiss is a big upgrade over Bozak. So is Filppula, Laich, Ott, Ribiero...etc. But I do agree that none are worth giving up assets for right now. I agree with the assessment of Grabo, and eventually I see our 3rd line taking on the shut-down role. I think if you put Grabo between different wingers he gets much better. I also don't think our primary concern is building Grabo's value towards a trade - we have much more pressing issues at hand.

To be clear - are you advocating take a big run at a clear-cut #1C or top-pairing D? Or are you falling on the side of drafting the #1C and either trading for or signing via FA a stop-gap #1C to play the next couple years in wait of the emergence of our drafted #1C?

Really, really like what I see of Kadri and Lupul. Lupul is exactly the all-purpose type of winger Kadri needs, so much so that Carlyle even put Orr out there with him and they still produced. If they ever got some wheels on the other wing a la Mason Raymond or Carl Hagelin, watch out - that line would be a huge threat.

I'd have interst in trying out Ribiero off the UFA heap or see what it would take to get Stast.

Not sure how we are going to manage drafting a clear cut #1c now that we are out of the prime real estate draft range.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario

The 1st. will likely be in the 20's or late teens if they faulter, which I don't buy just yet.

Burns plays 17 minutes a night, he'd be a salary dump. Havlat plays 16 minutes a night and has 6 points.

Take Kessel out of the deal and it is closer to fair, and the Leafs still end up with a crap contract.

If the Sharks are pulling the chute, deciding their current roster has to be blown up then start looking at the top end guys, not their spare parts.

Yup. If they are making changes, they will likely start with Thornton, Marleau and Boyle who all have 1 more year left, and could return decent 1st/prospect packages. I'd pay a 1st and Colborne for Jumbo if our 1st is in the top half. Maybe throw in a competent top 9 player like Kulemin.

You'd still get a few good years out of Thornton, maybe 5 tops, but all with Kessel and JVR, both snipers who don't necessarily need Joe to carry the mail all the time but could use an offensive, heads up style center.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

I was thinking the same as a lot of people here, Myers would be a good pick up but I'm pretty sure Buffalo will not trade him within the division and especially to us and that's why I didn't comment on it, when I posted the article.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'd have interst in trying out Ribiero off the UFA heap or see what it would take to get Stast.

Not sure how we are going to manage drafting a clear cut #1c now that we are out of the prime real estate draft range.

From my understanding there are still projected #1C such as Curtis Lazar, Gauthier and Rychel who are slotted to be available in the bottom half of the 1st round. Don't expect these guys to make the jump right away a la the possibility of a Monahan or a McKinnon, but their projection is still top-6. I do like Ribiero... sure he's a rental unless he re-signs, but he'd be a massive upgrade over Bozak... would probably resurrect our 1st line as actually being a 1st line.

No idea what the price on him would be though... Washington would have to accept players back and not prospects/picks.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land

Ya true that is a massive overpayment...

Maybe:

TOR: Thornton + Burns + Clowe
SJ: Kessel + Grabovski + Kulemin + Gunnarsson

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
From my understanding there are still projected #1C such as Curtis Lazar, Gauthier and Rychel who are slotted to be available in the bottom half of the 1st round. Don't expect these guys to make the jump right away a la the possibility of a Monahan or a McKinnon, but their projection is still top-6. I do like Ribiero... sure he's a rental unless he re-signs, but he'd be a massive upgrade over Bozak... would probably resurrect our 1st line as actually being a 1st line.

No idea what the price on him would be though... Washington would have to accept players back and not prospects/picks.

I don't think many project Lazar or Gauthier to be 1C's.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
CBC.CA (via KUKLA’S KORNER): Elliotte Friedman reports the reason for so little trade activity is prices are “outrageous’ in the trade market, the standings remain tight (especially in the Western Conference), the salary cap is dropping next season, and many GMs don’t like what they see in the UFA market. The GMs are all chasing the same players…Kevin Weekes notes the Blues have four key RFAs in Chris Stewart, Patrik Berglund, Kevin Shattenkirk and Alex Pietrangelo, and it’ll be interesting to see what they do with them…Friedman spoke about a rumor linking the NY Rangers’ Marian Gaborik with the Vancouver Canucks, but he doesn’t believe those talks went anywhere. He suggested the Rangers might have to eat some of his salary to trade him, but doubts they’ll do that. He also believes they’d only move him if they could get back a return to replace the depth they’ve lost.

Interesting note about asking prices. Certainly we've seen it with Luongo.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

You just don't see any creativity by NHL GM's anymore. Most of them are all old-school, passive types.

My last hope for increase in activity was for the teams to be able to retain salary, which is allowed now, but nothing.

Very unexciting. And we have Nonis as GM on top of that.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
You just don't see any creativity by NHL GM's anymore. Most of them are all old-school, passive types.

My last hope for increase in activity was for the teams to be able to retain salary, which is allowed now, but nothing.

Nonis is the only GM to take advantage of retaining salary so far. Im sure there will be plenty of movement in the next 18 days.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I wouldn't bite on Weiss, a player who has lived his career where Bouwmeester and Jokinen looked like stars.

I'd worry he'd be Stajan the 2nd. and come in and just be okay.

Kesler drafted 23rd. overall, and took some time to get where he is, and that is playing behind the Sedins. Not saying that is bad, just saying he doesn't face the biggest obstacles when he's in the the line-up.

I wish Filppula was available, but I doubt very much he is moved and the Wings join the Leafs next year.

Ribeiro, Backstrom, Beagle, Hendricks, Perreault, Brouwer, Johansson ... Ribeiro is UFA, if they re-sign him I'd like to see them make a move on Johansson or even Backstrom if it is thought he needs a move away from the Ovechkin circus.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Not yet anyway. We will see much more movement in the offseason when teams are either amnestying players and/or moving out salary to get under the falling cap. We are in a good position there.

Haha wow just watching the K Clifford/D Murray fight from last night... (19:00 of the 2nd period) .. talk about a couple of cave men. I think I like Murray a little bit more now that I've seen him try and fist-bop someone.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I wouldn't bite on Weiss, a player who has lived his career where Bouwmeester and Jokinen looked like stars.

I'd worry he'd be Stajan the 2nd. and come in and just be okay.

Kesler drafted 23rd. overall, and took some time to get where he is, and that is playing behind the Sedins. Not saying that is bad, just saying he doesn't face the biggest obstacles when he's in the the line-up.

I wish Filppula was available, but I doubt very much he is moved and the Wings join the Leafs next year.

Ribeiro, Backstrom, Beagle, Hendricks, Perreault, Brouwer, Johansson ... Ribeiro is UFA, if they re-sign him I'd like to see them make a move on Johansson or even Backstrom if it is thought he needs a move away from the Ovechkin circus.

Ribiero is the odd man out there - he's getting dealt before the deadline. I'd still like us to inquire, but I bet Washington will insist on picks/prospects unfortunately.

Asif16*

I dont expect us to get a center this trade deadline. I think thats going to have to wait till the summer. What i do expect is a top 4 defenceman, someone that can play along side Phaneuf (Derek Morris?) and physical top 6 forward with a scoring touch.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

If Liles was a UFA dmen he'd be the 5th-10th most desired at that position and with 3 years remaining on his contract at a reasonable cap hit I see Nonis getting a nice return for him.

I also hope we trade CMac for the highest picks/prospects we can get.

I also wouldn't be sad to see Bozak moved out.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

I think that's the problem when dealing with Washington, they would probably want draft picks, they have depth at all positions, their web site shows they have used 30 players this year.

3 G, 11 D and 16 F, that's a lot of players but of course they can only have 23 on the roster, at any one time however they will have some nice young prospects, they can use at any time.

I'm not sure what we could offer them that could improve their roster and what they would want?

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

What? He's playing on their 2nd line now, he usually plays 20+ mins on D

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think that's the problem when dealing with Washington, they would probably want draft picks, they have depth at all positions, their web site shows they have used 30 players this year.

3 G, 11 D and 16 F, that's a lot of players but of course they can only have 23 on the roster, at any one time however they will have some nice young prospects, they can use at any time.

I'm not sure what we could offer them that could improve their roster and what they would want?

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

I'm sure they'll be bringing the KHL star over next year at all costs.

WTH happened to Mike Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad