Heard that Dubinsky is being shopped.

Proposal:

Toronto sends:
Mikhail Grabovski
Jake Gardier

Columbus sends:
Dubinsky
2013 1st

We get a Carlyle-type second line center.He helps solve the problem that we have with our checking line of Kulemin - Grabo (now Dubinsky) - Mac/McClement having trouble with the bigger top lines (i.e. Rangers, Bruins, Hurricanes, etc). Plus we get a likely top 5 pick in next years draft to pull ourselves in a #1C.

It hurts to lose Gardiner, but the one piece I think we would all agree we'd be alright with losing him for is a #1C. We also get a 2nd line center for $1.3M cheaper than Grabo.

Thoughts?

Dubi is a decent two-way forward, but he isn't the shut down type of C RC wants to replace Grabo, and we don't need more 2nd/3rd line C's.

Hanzal would be the perfect fit for our team, excellent shut down C.

JMcLeaf

where would ryan clowe fit ?

he'd only fit if we move mac or we have an injury

lupul-bozak-kessel
jvr/clowe-kadri-frattin
jvr/clowe-grabo-kulemin
komarov-mcclemment-mclaren/orr

tough call because mac is playing some really good hockey, but we could definitely use a guy that can hit, fight and produce offensively especially if we make the playoffs

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Dubi is a decent two-way forward, but he isn't the shut down type of C RC wants to replace Grabo, and we don't need more 2nd/3rd line C's.

Hanzal would be the perfect fit for our team, excellent shut down C.

Hanzal would be an awesome grab.

It would take Grabo + to get him.

Asif16*

Dubinsky actually sounds enticing. Much better than other unrealistic crap Ive been reading in this thread. Dubinsky is center who can play in that shutdown role if needed. He is also a carlyle type player who plays physical and on the edge. We keep saying that we are a tougher team to play against this year, (which we are) but we dont have anyone on our top three lines that plays with an edge or toughness that Carlyle likes. Yes our fourth line is tough as nails which is fine. Our D corps is ok in the physical department. But i think adding a Ryan Clowe or Brandon Dubinsky on our Top 9 can go a long way.

Asif16*

^Obviously saying that though....we would have to move out a couple of forwards. And yes i also know that ryan clowe is struggling this year. Dubinsky is injured but i think close to coming back.. But i was sayin to make a point lol

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Komi, Holzer, Connolly and 2nd + we match total salary costs with/for Iginla

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Getzlaf just got $8.25 mil for 8 years and you think Kessel will get more than that? Go check out how much Parise gets; also look at Stamkos' contract.

Stamkos isn't on his UFA deal yet. Parise is signed for how many years? Getzlaf got 8.25 for 8 years, that's right around the range Kessel will get. Keep in mind Getzlaf laid an egg last year and that contract may end up haunting the ducks.

As I've mentioned, the luxury of paying Kessel, one of the worst 2-way players in the league a premium at that price is a lot worst than taking on Ovy's current deal.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Hanzal would be an awesome grab.

It would take Grabo + to get him.

Probably a pretty sizable plus though......Grabo, Percy along with a pic or prospect at minimum id think....elite defence and size which as we know is Carlyles true fetish....:laugh:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I might be in the minority, but I'm very interested in Stephen Weiss in the offseason. He will fit our team perfectly, as our 1B C, I'm assuming Kadri will slide into the 1a spot by next year. Everyone is calling for stastny but I'd rather have Weiss. He will be cheaper, Toronto boy, is known to be a complete player and had fantastic numbers a few years ago when he still had just ok linemates. Something he hasn't had in years in Florida. Perfect time to buy low.

Perry obviously is the nugget of the offseason.If this team lands perry then there is no doubt in my mind that in 3 years time we could be seriously contending, year in and out. Barring good salary cap managing.

Boll,Biggs,devane give u solid 3rd 4th line toughness.

Reilly/gardiner are gonna be fantastic puck moving defensemen, with franson's value going up by the point.

Ranger used to be a solid #2, hopefully he can recover emotionally and commit to the nhl and become a solid #3 again.

Reimer/scrivens, up in the air, but this far showing promise.

In an ideal world.

Lupul Kadri kessel
Vanriemsdyk Weiss perry
Kulemin mcclement frattin
Orr komarov mcLaren

Phaneuf ranger
Gardiner Gunnarsson
Reilly/franson Fraser

Reimer/scrivens

Affordable? Maybe not, but this is without making any trades outside of ufa picks ups. So it's very much a possibility, especially since they're both from Ontario. Imagine cherry with perry, Kadri, and Weiss on the lineup!

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Getzlaf just got $8.25 mil for 8 years and you think Kessel will get more than that? Go check out how much Parise gets; also look at Stamkos' contract.

Parise is making more then Getz in his first 8 years.

Actually Parise is bringing in a ton more cash then getz in his first 8.

See how the max is 7/8 years in term i know of no other way to compare them.

IIRC ,Parise in pulling in 10m cash per for the first 8.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I might be in the minority, but I'm very interested in Stephen Weiss in the offseason. He will fit our team perfectly, as our 1B C, I'm assuming Kadri will slide into the 1a spot by next year. Everyone is calling for stastny but I'd rather have Weiss. He will be cheaper, Toronto boy, is known to be a complete player and had fantastic numbers a few years ago when he still had just ok linemates. Something he hasn't had in years in Florida. Perfect time to buy low.

Perry obviously is the nugget of the offseason.If this team lands perry then there is no doubt in my mind that in 3 years time we could be seriously contending, year in and out. Barring good salary cap managing.

Boll,Biggs,devane give u solid 3rd 4th line toughness.

Reilly/gardiner are gonna be fantastic puck moving defensemen, with franson's value going up by the point.

Ranger used to be a solid #2, hopefully he can recover emotionally and commit to the nhl and become a solid #3 again.

Reimer/scrivens, up in the air, but this far showing promise.

In an ideal world.

Lupul Kadri kessel
Vanriemsdyk Weiss perry
Kulemin mcclement frattin
Orr komarov mcLaren

Phaneuf ranger
Gardiner Gunnarsson
Reilly/franson Fraser

Reimer/scrivens

Affordable? Maybe not, but this is without making any trades outside of ufa picks ups. So it's very much a possibility, especially since they're both from Ontario. Imagine cherry with perry, Kadri, and Weiss on the lineup!

I don't want to speak for everyone, but the reason that I would stay away from Weiss would be the fact that he's aging and has been injured quite often lately.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I don't want to speak for everyone, but the reason that I would stay away from Weiss would be the fact that he's aging and has been injured quite often lately.

He'd be an ok pick-up in the summer, but only if it was a short-term deal similar to what Connolly got.

I'd be hesitant to give him anything like the Grabo contract though. At his best, Weiss is an upgrade over what we had at Centre, but he's still not a #1 guy. So I think at best we'd be getting a stop-gap solution to make us more competitive for the next few years while we still look for the franchise piece for that position.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
at this point Weiss is starting to feel like another Connolly
I think he's a better overall player but its still a stop gap.
I'd rather see development from within and a guy like Colborne

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Parise is making more then Getz in his first 8 years.

Actually Parise is bringing in a ton more cash then getz in his first 8.

See how the max is 7/8 years in term i know of no other way to compare them.

IIRC ,Parise in pulling in 10m cash per for the first 8.

Yep you're pretty close, it averages about 9.778 mil in the first 9 years.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
at this point Weiss is starting to feel like another Connolly
I think he's a better overall player but its still a stop gap.
I'd rather see development from within and a guy like Colborne

I think Colborne needs to show he can consistently dominate at the AHL level before we can have any expectation of him playing a top 6 role effectively in the NHL.

I feel like with Colborne when talking about his potential, there's always excuses and people talking about isolated stretches of hockey, which isn't a good sign. His lack of speed will also be a question mark in terms of him translating any success to the NHL.

He's an interesting prospect, gotta love that size he has. But he's been very inconsistent. At his age, you'd also expect him to be dominating the AHL if he were ever to become a top 6 forward at the NHL level. We'll see though, could be a late bloomer, but I'm not counting on it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yep you're pretty close, it averages about 9.778 mil in the first 9 years.

Kind of hard to compare 8 year restrictions with retirement contracts.

Who besides Getzlaf have received max contracts in the new CBA.

Comparison today is Getzlaf's deal.

I don't like it but I can see Kessel at 7 million. It would be nice around 6.3, about the same as Kane is making. Toews and Kane making the same showing perhaps that offense can still trump all around game when it comes to paydays.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If Jerry Tlusty has taught us anything, it's not to give up on highly touted prospects until they are 25 or so.

He looked good as a rookie, just needed nurturing. Also needed to get stronger, and then have surgery to repair (IIRC) his shoulder.

Anyway, Colborne should keep getting ice time in the AHL, and the Leafs should just re-up him at a reasonable rate for a couple years. Even if he is just a McClement replacement in 2014, he's an asset that should not be thrown away. Now if he's of interest in a trade for a PMD or top line player ...

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
He'd be an ok pick-up in the summer, but only if it was a short-term deal similar to what Connolly got.

I'd be hesitant to give him anything like the Grabo contract though. At his best, Weiss is an upgrade over what we had at Centre, but he's still not a #1 guy. So I think at best we'd be getting a stop-gap solution to make us more competitive for the next few years while we still look for the franchise piece for that position.

Why do the Leafs constantly need to find stop-gap centres that aren't the answer?

I would rather overpay (in a Kessel scenario) to get a proven #1 guy for years, than to try and figure out how long a stop gap centre can tide you over for.

Guys like Ribeiro, Roy, Weiss and Elias are accomplished in the NHL. But where do they fit in with this team?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If Jerry Tlusty has taught us anything, it's not to give up on highly touted prospects until they are 25 or so.

There's no reason to trade Colborne right now, he doesn't have much trade value anyways.

Trying to add depth at the NHL level wouldn't really constitute "giving up" on Colborne though. He'll prove himself in the future, or he won't. Simple as that.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Why do the Leafs constantly need to find stop-gap centres that aren't the answer?

I would rather overpay (in a Kessel scenario) to get a proven #1 guy for years, than to try and figure out how long a stop gap centre can tide you over for.

Guys like Ribeiro, Roy, Weiss and Elias are accomplished in the NHL. But where do they fit in with this team?

There's a difference between signing a stop-gap versus trading for one. If you can upgrade the team for free in free agency by signing Weiss? Why not?

It upgrades the team AND gives us the option to trade a guy like Grabo and get assets in return. That's win-win in my books. Upgrade current NHL team + add some picks/prospects for Grabo.

Trading for a #1 guy? Thornton is literally the only example of a legitimate franchise centre that was acquired via trade in the entire league. It simply does not happen on an even remotely regular basis.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Let me prefix this by saying that I would only want to do this if it was cheep, like a couple of low conditional picks;

Once the playoffs role around, RC won't be using Orr and Mclaren and most likely won't use either if we can make it past the first round. I think that we could use some more talent in our top six.

Jaromir Jagr as a loner.

I know, I know. We've been burned by loners in the past but he has lots of playoff experience, wants to win, good influence on our young guys and can still contribute.

Three lines that can score and a really good checking line.

Lupul Bozak Kessel
JVR Grabbo Jagr
MacA Kadri Frattin
Kulemin McClement Komorov

I'm not sure of what Dallas would want but they can't be too greedy with a 41 year old free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad