2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings VIII: Less then a month until the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
That also provides good support for why signing Weiss is a good idea.

Either he becomes important to the team, and would be hard to trade. Or he becomes expendable, and is a free asset to trade for picks/prospects/other players.

Either way, it's a win. That's what signing Beauchemin did for us, and people didn't say "oh don't sign Beauchemin, because he's not a #1 D". So why avoid signing Weiss just because he's not a #1 C? Gives us more flexibility.

Worst case scenario, it's a repeat of Connolly, and he can be put on waivers. Doesn't really affect the teams longterm potential at all.

If we can sign Weiss for 3 years or less I'm all for it. But he'll probably get more term from another team.

If Weiss wants more term then 3 years then I'm not in favour of it because it could turn into a Komisarek type headache.

Weiss is 29, will becoming off a season ending wrist surgery and a lot of player quickly see their games decline around 30.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
I still dont understand this boards obsession with Stastny and Clowe. I can get it 5 years ago but now meh.

If we're going for a 3rd line checking line he'd be perfect. Hes very hard to play against. And based off what Carlyle has shown thats what he wants the team to be. If we could land Clowe and Dubinsky:naughty: A 3rd line of Clowe-Dubinsky-Kulemin would be absolutely destructive. Rotate Komarov in for Kulemin where needed.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If RC has shown us anything, it's that he will give his checking players ice time. Especially if he trusts them in important situations. He would obviously trust Nic, Jay and Leo so they would get their share of icetime.

Who is this big bodied checking center that you propose?

I think Colin Wilson is the most wanted. But it's hard to speculate. A big bodied center, that can play with Kulemin and Komarov (lupul/JVR when lupul returns) on our 3rd line.

Maybe it's Bozak (not big bodied, but meh). Maybe we trade for a guy like Derek Roy (with extension), Paul Stastny, or Vinny (not likely) in a deal for Grabo (+) and make Bozak our checking line center.

My main point is that we don't need wingers. Our defense is fine, plenty of depth (although I would like Liles or Gardiner and Komisarek in over Kostka and Holzer, but we are winning I guess)

To me, the only thing we need at this point is a center.

Grabovski + Stuart Percy for Derek Roy/Paul Stastny/Vinny Lecavalier

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
That also provides good support for why signing Weiss is a good idea.

Either he becomes important to the team, and would be hard to trade. Or he becomes expendable, and is a free asset to trade for picks/prospects/other players.

Either way, it's a win. That's what signing Beauchemin did for us, and people didn't say "oh don't sign Beauchemin, because he's not a #1 D". So why avoid signing Weiss just because he's not a #1 C? Gives us more flexibility.

Worst case scenario, it's a repeat of Connolly, and he can be put on waivers. Doesn't really affect the teams longterm potential at all.

Still doesn't answer as to when they are going to trade Mac and Bozak.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If we're going for a 3rd line checking line he'd be perfect. Hes very hard to play against. And based off what Carlyle has shown thats what he wants the team to be. If we could land Clowe and Dubinsky:naughty: A 3rd line of Clowe-Dubinsky-Kulemin would be absolutely destructive. Rotate Komarov in for Kulemin where needed.

If Grabo can be moved, I'd love Dubinsky .. Ideal third line centre and a good leader to wear an 'A'

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I really hope Nonis trades CMac

CMac isn't needed on this team and the picks/prospect we acquire for him would give Nonis an extra asset to put towards acquiring a high end player in the off-season.

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
I really hope Nonis trades CMac

CMac isn't needed on this team and the picks/prospect we acquire for him would give Nonis an extra asset to put towards acquiring a high end player in the off-season.

WHY!! why does everyone want CMac gone, he is playing amazing and is working so well with Kadri. Id rather trade Komarov than CMac atm.

I don't get this. Unless we can get Perry our winger situation is fine (We don't even have Lupul atm..)

What we need is a Number one C and a Top pairing R-Dman. We have an abundance of D and at least one C that doesnt fit (Grabo // Bozak (i like bozak for our 3rd)

I say use the likes of , Grabo / Liles / Possibly 1 of our other dman, Komi/Conn (if possible...) to try and get upgrades in those 2 slots...otherwise why fix something that is playing good hockey...

Getting rid of Bozak would be stupid, he could possibly be the best 3rd line C in the league, He is a little out of his league in the 1st line Center position but the team is still managing to win (Yes i know Kadri is being a pimp)

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Still doesn't answer as to when they are going to trade Mac and Bozak.

Sigh. You make no sense.

Argument A: I don't want to sign Weiss, because he's not a true #1 Centre despite being a solid upgrade over Bozak

Argument B: WHY WOULD YOU EVER WANT TO TRADE BOZAK! HE"S KEY TO THIS TEAM!

So... you don't want Weiss, because he's not a franchise centre, even though he's definitively better than Bozak. So you don't see the point in adding depth, adding upgrades, etc, unless it's a legitimate core piece.

And yet the idea of trading a non-core piece like Bozak is outrageous? Makes no sense.

So your plan is to hold onto all non-core pieces we have and not try to find upgrades on them, never add a non-core piece, and also never trade away a non-core piece for deadline deal sky-high prices?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Would a trade of Stastny + 1st for Phaneuf + MacArthur work?

Hear me out.

Stastny instantly becomes out best C, outside of what we can expect going forward with Kadri.

The 1st is a great piece in this draft - So essentially we are upgrading in both areas.

Our Left side is jam packed with NHL defenseman, now and in the future.

I like the work load that Phanuef takes on, however I think we can still compete this year and set ourselves up nicely for the future.

Future:

Reilly-(tough RH dman)
Gardiner-(tough RH dman)
Finn/Gunnarsson-Franson

And then we can trade one of Bozak or Grabovski (Grabo preferred) for the best value we can get.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If we can sign Weiss for 3 years or less I'm all for it. But he'll probably get more term from another team.

If Weiss wants more term then 3 years then I'm not in favour of it because it could turn into a Komisarek type headache.

Weiss is 29, will becoming off a season ending wrist surgery and a lot of player quickly see their games decline around 30.

Yep, I agree with this.

If Weiss wants a longterm deal, he can go somewhere else. But if we're able to grab him for a 2-3 year deal? Why not? There wouldn't be much risk involved, but there'd be reward either by him playing well for us or us trading him (or another centre due to increased depth) for other assets.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010

Hear me out.

Stastny instantly becomes out best C, outside of what we can expect going forward with Kadri.

The 1st is a great piece in this draft - So essentially we are upgrading in both areas.

I like the work load that Phanuef takes on, however I think we can still compete this year and set ourselves up nicely for the future.

Imagine:

Reilly-(tough RH dman)
Gardiner-(tough RH dman)
Finn/Gunnarsson-Franson

And then we can trade one of Bozak or Grabovski (Grabo preferred) for the best value we can get.

We are not trading our Captain for a downward trending soft center. Would destroy our defense. We're close to becoming a contender. Not time to be subtracting massive pieces with ****** pieces.

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada

Hear me out.

Future:

Reilly-(tough RH dman)
Gardiner-(tough RH dman)
Finn/Gunnarsson-Franson

I think
1... screw Stastny,
2 if you trade Phaneuf atm you will demoralize the team.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Sigh. You make no sense.

Argument A: I don't want to sign Weiss, because he's not a true #1 Centre despite being a solid upgrade over Bozak

Argument B: WHY WOULD YOU EVER WANT TO TRADE BOZAK! HE"S KEY TO THIS TEAM!

So... you don't want Weiss, because he's not a franchise centre, even though he's definitively better than Bozak. So you don't see the point in adding depth, adding upgrades, etc, unless it's a legitimate core piece.

And yet the idea of trading a non-core piece like Bozak is outrageous? Makes no sense.

So your plan is to hold onto all non-core pieces we have and not try to find upgrades on them, never add a non-core piece, and also never trade away a non-core piece for deadline deal sky-high prices?

I'm not saying that they are going to keep Bozak or he's key to this team. I'm simply asking you when they are going to trade Bozak and MacArthur for these assets that you mentioned prior?

The reason I don't want Weiss is because he doesn't address anything for this team that it doesn't already have. Bozak or Weiss playing in the 2nd role doesn't matter to me. And I get that you think Weiss is so much better and he allows you to trade Grabovski, but again, doesn't do anything for this team. Its purely a sideways move.

Asif16*

The only realistic (sort of) target from San jose is Ryan CLowe. I just dont think they are gonna trade douglas murray or Joe thornton. Thornton in my opnion is past his prime is getting old. Just dont see it from his game anymore. Plus the leafs are trying to go with the youth movement. Douglas murray? Doesnt fit. We have to much depth on D. I doubt we see a move where we see us getting a NHL calibre defenceman back. Clowe is nice but is UFA after this season. He has to guarantee to sign here if a deal is made. Plus his points are down considerably this year.

Now Brandon Dubinsky.....thats a player i like the sound of.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
We are not trading our Captain for a downward trending soft center. Would destroy our defense. We're close to becoming a contender. Not time to be subtracting massive pieces with ****** pieces.

Fair enough.

But would you rather a decent 'effort' this year (which i fully expect even after the trade)

or

a set up future.

If we end up trading Grabo for a 1st ....and go into the draft with 3.

Lets say 15 , 20 and 25.

Those are pieces that set up a total rebuilding team, yet we have pieces already in place and a well run team. Think about a Buffalo-type last draft.

Trading up and snagging 2 high-potential forwards.

say Domi + Shinkaruk/Erne.

I fully understand where people are coming from, I like Dion too - would love to win with him. But the Surplus provided by Burkes trades, makes it interesting and gives us the ability to make these 'help us now, and in the future deals'

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Joe Thornton would be perfect If the sharks fall out of the race

If the Sharks fall off they have to do something.

Couture and Pavelski are their future centers.

Almost like the Crosby, Malkin, Staal situation except Thornton is the old guy and the Penguins were all young(ish) centers.

I just don't know about Thornton though, he seems to like to slow down the game to his pace, whereas I see Kessel as a beating teams with speed type of player.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Have to keep an eye on the Sharks.

If they can't stay in the race, there might be a center there who become available.

The Sharks are one team that is about 3 years away from being in the gutter. The majority of their core players are on the wrong side of 30 and their prospect pool is god awful. They literally have zero young players who can step in and play impactful hockey at the NHL level.

If i'm the Sharks GM and they don't make the playoffs this year, I would be selling off every high paid veteran on the roster. Having 3 - 5 first round picks would be huge in speeding up the rebuilding process, because they are going to be awful for a loonnnng time.

Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, Clowe, Havlat and Niemi should be sold off the highest bidder IMO. I know the owner would never agree to that, but they are about to enter Calgary territory.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Fair enough.

But would you rather a decent effort this year (which i fully expect even after the trade)

or

a set up future.

If we end up trading Grabo for a 1st ....and go into the draft with 3.

Lets say 15 , 20 and 25.

Those are pieces that set up a total rebuilding team, yet we have pieces already in place and a well run team. Think about a Buffalo-type last draft.

Trading up and snagging 2 high-potential forwards.

say Domi + Shinkaruk/Erne.

I fully understand where people are coming from, I like Dion too - would love to win with him. But the Surplus provided by Burkes trades, makes it interesting and gives us the ability to make these 'help us now, and in the future deals'

We need to add to Dion. Not subtract him. Remember he's never played with a real proven top pairing defenceman on this team. The best hes played with is Gunnar. We need someone to play with him as much, actually, even more than we need someone to play with Kessel. Its nice to have draft pieces, but we're very close to becoming a consistent playoff performer. Add someone to Dion and we're there.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
If the Sharks fall off they have to do something.

Couture and Pavelski are their future centers.

Almost like the Crosby, Malkin, Staal situation except Thornton is the old guy and the Penguins were all young(ish) centers.

I just don't know about Thornton though, he seems to like to slow down the game to his pace, whereas I see Kessel as a beating teams with speed type of player.

Speed is a huge factor in today's game but seeing Kessel get exposed night in and night out on board battles, which at times, is equally if not more important, necessitates a player like Joe who's a horse down low.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Speed is a huge factor in today's game but seeing Kessel get exposed night in and night out on board battles, which at times, is equally if not more important, necessitates a player like Joe who's a horse down low.

He'd get the puck on Kessel's stick, no doubt. Actually, I think he'd get the puck on Kulemin's stick as well. Getting it in scoring opportunities is different than just getting it on sticks in non-scoring areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad