2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings VIII: Less then a month until the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Like I said before Stastny makes sense to trade for in a type of trade that landed the Leafs Dion Phaneuf.

Lets revisit the Phaneuf trade shall we:

White, Stajan, Hagman, Meyers

for

Phaneuf, Aullie, Sjostrom

come up with something close to this in terms to what the Leafs can part with, just a reminder 3 of the 4 were solid players for the Leafs in spite of the popular belief in trashing Leaf players that went on at that time which continues to this day.

Do this and you have a trade that makes sense for the Leafs. If Colorado doesn't like it you take a pass stay patient and continue to grow from within until something that makes sense can happen.

2 pieces that will go to Colorado for a Stastny trade and they will not sell him without 2 good depth players that could help them NOW will be Kulemin and Gunnarsson add a Bozak and Colorado adds a prospect the Leafs really like and there's your Stastny trade to the Leafs IMO.

That's too much for Stastny. Kulemin, Gunnarsson and Bozak are young quality players that could be part of this team for years to come...the package for Phaneuf? Not so much. Ship out Steckel, Liles, a pick and perhaps a prospect for Stastny.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Statsny is not good why do we want a soft Centre in a 4 year PPG decline that disappears on many nights according to many many posters on Colorado site...he would become the poster boy in Toronto for abuse and every single guy supporting us to get him now would deny in a year they made that suggestion

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Why does Colorado do that?

Stu Percy equals a 1st and is closer to being NHL ready than a 1st rounder.

2nd '13 has value as well.

Tyler Bozak is a top 6 C who will at least soften the blow of losing Stasny and will provide them depth at C position.

Tyler Bozak + 1st + 2nd is how I'm seeing this which is great for them.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Most people our suggesting Bozak, Percy 2nd for Statsny and Colorado fans say a 1st

Would you do this or deal Bozak for a decent 1st and yes we would get that from several teams then at draft deal both firsts to get into top 10 and get Monahan

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
That's too much for Stastny. Kulemin, Gunnarsson and Bozak are young quality players that could be part of this team for years to come...the package for Phaneuf? Not so much. Ship out Steckel, Liles, a pick and perhaps a prospect for Stastny.

The fact you said it's too much and countered with that means the package is dead on right. Stastny will land Colorado 2 depth young players that can help them NOW and into the next couple of years no less.

Bozak is a UFA and the guy the Leafs are looking to upgrade on and who Stastny would replace. Colorado adds a prospect to the LEAFS LIKING and the deal makes a tone of sense for both teams.

I said to remember the Phaneuf trade about what was given up. Stajan and White were 2 young pieces at that time the Leafs could have kept them for the future. The issue is around these parts we down value Leaf players for some reason.;) Kulemin and Gunnarson aren't worth anymore than what Stajan and White were at that time.

Do you really think you will get Stastny for what you've mention? Come on guys think of the other team when talking trades it has to make sense for them also:help:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
What do you think we're going to get him for?

What would it take to get Stast?

Well i would think starting with names like Kuli or Gunnar and a prospect/pick like 2013 2nd, Holz or Colb/Blacker/Asht gets talks started.

Last edited:

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Yeah start the lineup to the right for a $ 6.6m centre in this 4th straight year of point production decline and who takes many nights off when things get rough..

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The fact you said it's too much and countered with that means the package is dead on right. Stastny will land Colorado 2 depth young players that can help them NOW and into the next couple of years no less.

Bozak is a UFA and the guy the Leafs are looking to upgrade on and who Stastny would replace. Colorado adds a prospect to the LEAFS LIKING and the deal makes a tone of sense for both teams.

I said to remember the Phaneuf trade about what was given up. Stajan and White were 2 young pieces at that time the Leafs could have kept them for the future. The issue is around these parts we down value Leaf players for some reason.;) Kulemin and Gunnarson aren't worth anymore than what Stajan and White were at that time.

Do you really think you will get Stastny for what you've mention? Come on guys think of the other team when talking trades it has to make sense for them also:help:

With the emergence of Duchene as their #1 C and O'Reilly as their #2 C, where does that leave Statsny on their depth chart? Why would we pay 2 young top six forwards in Kulemin and Bozak, a young 2nd pairing d man in Gunnarsson for Stastny? If they want depth and a serviceable d man, they could have Steckel (as their #3 C), Liles and a pick and prospect.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
How about we save ourselves $6.6m and draft Monahan by trading Bozak for a 1st and trading up in draft

AHH lets see, because thats not how things really work.

We are in a PO hunt, DN won't move players that are not from a position of depth right now.

IF Boz is being moved out you dang well know it will be another C coming back in the trade.

Wing and D is where DN can trade from and not put his PO hopes at risk.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
With the emergence of Duchene as their #1 C and O'Reilly as their #2 C, where does that leave Statsny on their depth chart? Why would we pay 2 young top six forwards in Kulemin and Bozak, a young 2nd pairing d man in Gunnarsson for Stastny? If they want depth and a serviceable d man, they could have Steckel (as their #3 C), Liles and a pick and prospect.

Ask yourself this and be honest with yourself if your Colorado's GM would you trade Stastny for Steckel, Liles( a guy you've just traded for a 2nd pick) and a prospect?

When you put yourself in the position of the other team you will see why Stastny isn't going to be traded for nothing.

Kulemin and Gunnarson are good young assets in the ilk of what it would take to land Stastny cause they want to improve when they trade just as much as the Leafs do ;) and are 2 pieces the Leafs could afford to give up. You got Lupul coming back soon and Gardiner stuck in the AHL cause of no room in the roster. Bozak go's cause he's a UFA and the guy the Leafs would be upgrading on adding Stastny. Colorado add's a prospect to the Leafs liking in this deal just as Aullie was added in the Phanuef trade and you have a trade where both teams come out of this with what they want the way trades are meant to be.

Colorado gets there quality depth, the Leafs get there upgrade on Bozak and a piece for the future. That my dear friend is what a good trade looks like, one where BOTH teams come out of it happy with what they added to what they already have in place.

What your offering up gets the phone hanged up on you.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Ask yourself this and be honest with yourself if your Colorado's GM would you trade Stastny for Steckel, Liles( a guy you've just traded for a 2nd pick) and a prospect?

When you put yourself in the position of the other team you will see why Stastny isn't going to be traded for nothing.

Kulemin and Gunnarson are good young assets in the ilk of what it would take to land Stastny cause they want to improve when they trade just as much as the Leafs do ;) and are 2 pieces the Leafs could afford to give up. You got Lupul coming back soon and Gardiner stuck in the AHL cause of no room in the roster. Bozak go's cause he's a UFA and the guy the Leafs would be upgrading on adding Stastny. Colorado add's a prospect to the Leafs liking in this deal just as Aullie was added in the Phanuef trade and you have a trade where both teams come out of this with what they want the way trades are meant to be.

Colorado gets there quality depth, the Leafs get there upgrade on Bozak and a piece for the future. That my dear friend is what a good trade looks like, one where BOTH teams come out of it happy with what they added to what they already have in place.

What your offering up gets the phone hanged up on you.

I understand your point, you're talking about value for both teams, but Stastny will be salary dump; the players in Kulemin, Bozak, Gunnarsson are not salary dumps.

Bozak, Liles and a 2nd will be as much as I would give for Stastny...I'll throw in Steckel too. :laugh:

JMcLeaf

Ave fans think Stastny's value is a bit less then Duchenes. They'll be unpleasently surprised on the return he gets.

Yeah I don't think the Avs would get what the fans want for him, but I also think they'd get more than a lot of Leafs fans think.

Doesn't sound like the Avs are even shopping him though. Personally I think they should move him for a good dman or a top 6 winger.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Yeah I don't think the Avs would get what the fans want for him, but I also think they'd get more than a lot of Leafs fans think.

Doesn't sound like the Avs are even shopping him though. Personally I think they should move him for a good dman or a top 6 winger.

He'd get somewhere in the middle. A replacement center, another NHL player and a prospect. Bozak + Gunnarson/Liles + Percy type deal is probably reality.

Chuck was the one that initiated all the discussion, he said it was a real possibility. Definitely one I would be open too.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I understand your point, you're talking about value for both teams, but Stastny will be salary dump; the players in Kulemin, Bozak, Gunnarsson are not salary dumps.

Bozak, Liles and a 2nd will be as much as I would give for Stastny...I'll throw in Steckel too. :laugh:

Your value seems close but would Colorado want Liles back? I wouldn't call Stastny a salary dump but Ribeiro only cost Cody Eakin and a 2nd and he might be older but he wasn't declining.
I could see a deal happening, esp if the Avs decide to keep ROR but isn't Stastny smaller and softer than Bozak? I could see him as an upgrade if his offense came back but not really the big top 6 guy they need to add.
Also not great Corsi numbers but that stat is quite linemate dependent.

Last edited:

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Heard that Dubinsky is being shopped.

Proposal:

Toronto sends:
Mikhail Grabovski
Jake Gardier

Columbus sends:
Dubinsky
2013 1st

We get a Carlyle-type second line center.He helps solve the problem that we have with our checking line of Kulemin - Grabo (now Dubinsky) - Mac/McClement having trouble with the bigger top lines (i.e. Rangers, Bruins, Hurricanes, etc). Plus we get a likely top 5 pick in next years draft to pull ourselves in a #1C.

It hurts to lose Gardiner, but the one piece I think we would all agree we'd be alright with losing him for is a #1C. We also get a 2nd line center for $1.3M cheaper than Grabo.

Thoughts?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Heard that Dubinsky is being shopped.

Proposal:

Toronto sends:
Mikhail Grabovski
Jake Gardier

Columbus sends:
Dubinsky
2013 1st

We get a Carlyle-type second line center.He helps solve the problem that we have with our checking line of Kulemin - Grabo (now Dubinsky) - Mac/McClement having trouble with the bigger top lines (i.e. Rangers, Bruins, Hurricanes, etc). Plus we get a likely top 5 pick in next years draft to pull ourselves in a #1C.

It hurts to lose Gardiner, but the one piece I think we would all agree we'd be alright with losing him for is a #1C. We also get a 2nd line center for $1.3M cheaper than Grabo.

Thoughts?

If Columbus' pick is top 5 for sure then yes. But I'd rather wait till draft and not risk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad