Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I am not liking the direction at all. Back injuries are risky to begin with, the diminished returns failure to sign Lecavalier or top C. Placing Bolland in a top 6 role just a disaster waiting to happen IMHO.

Ahh, some could say the same signing Bozak with the intention of him being our #1C- which is what we have been doing

Jacob8hockey*

I stand corrected. 7 games in eight seasons

But is it really the fault of 1 player for not getting his team to the playoffs?

The same could have been said for the majority of the Leafs roster this year.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
But is it really the fault of 1 player for not getting his team to the playoffs?

The same could have been said for the majority of the Leafs roster this year.

I'm not blaming Weiss for not making the playoffs, but you always have to be skeptical of good players on bad teams.

5 x 5 is a lot of money for a guy who hasn't ever been part of a deep run, which I'm assuming is the ultimate goal here.

Weiss is a great fit, especially if Kadri is the real deal... You just have to be careful and have a contingency plan. Not interested in getting stuck with an immovable contract

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

What I like about his goals is for about half of them he's either in the crease or on his ass in the net when the puck goes in. This shows that he's willing to clean up the garbage and take the punishment around the net to score goals. Something that Mr. Bozak wasn't a fan of doing. Considering how much Kessel shoots, Weiss could be a huge beneficiary if he's hanging around the net all game.

GenericFan2*

Mark Fayne seems like the perfect fit. Big, strong, RH DFD that focuses on his play without the puck. Not to mention he's only 26 YO, which means he fits in with the youth movement.

He's probably worth more to NJ than his actual value, though.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
What I like about his goals is for about half of them he's either in the crease or on his ass in the net when the puck goes in. This shows that he's willing to clean up the garbage and take the punishment around the net to score goals. Something that Mr. Bozak wasn't a fan of doing. Considering how much Kessel shoots, Weiss could be a huge beneficiary if he's hanging around the net all game.

I agree he's better than Bozak, but I want a skill guy there between Kessel. Ribeiro would be good I think. I don't get the disinterest from Leafs POV.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
How many players in those 9 years would you want on a Cup contender?

My point is simply you have to be skeptical of good players on bad teams. Read my previous post

Sundin
Tucker
Kaberle
McCabe
Kulemin
Kessel
Phaneuf
Lupul
Gardiner
Reimer

All those players are pretty damn good players. They're not all "Stars" but they are critical to winning teams regardless. None of those players made it to the playoffs with the Leafs in the past 9 seasons before this year. Most of them played multiple seasons with the Leafs as well. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be skeptical about Weiss and how his play will translate on our team but like a previous poster said, winning is a team thing. Weiss isn't going to be our savior but he can be our top line player and part of the puzzle.

2 years ago we went after Tim Connolly, which in hindsight was a mistake and his #s from Buffalo didn't translate in a Leaf uni but at the same time we saw how the glass man had a piss poor attitude and work ethic. He was inflexible in the variety of roles he was asked to play by Carlyle and therefore never found himself on his team.

Weiss has a great work ethic. He's mostly not made of glass, so I don't think we'll have to worry too much about him getting hurt too much. Only thing left of concern is his production. His FW% is roughly similar to what Bozo had last season. He's been able to consistently put up 55ish points on average over the last 5 years. His best offensive season came at the age of 25 when he was paired up with Nathan Horton and David Booth. He had 60 points that season.

Bozo on the other hand was on pace for 49 points this season which would be his career high at age 26. He got to play shotgun with JVR/ Lupul and Kessel. Now I don't know about some of you guys but in my mind a young and productive David Booth and Nathan Horton are great players. However, when compared to what Bozak has in a ppg+ Kessel, ppg+ Lupul and JVR (55 points pace) on his wings, if Booth was given the same forwards, at the very least I would expect him to top out at around 60-65 points. While making the same (if not less $$) then Bozak. His defensive play is better than Bozak, he has the draft pedigree to back him up. He's got more experience in the league. He plays all situation just like Bozak did and plays them quite admirably.

I'm not saying we shouldn't explore better options than Weiss, however, ending up with Weiss at #1 is not a terrible option. It is quite a bit better than paying Bozak the same $. And it's probably quite a bit cheaper than having to acquire Stastny and then re-upping him for big $ next off-season, which all but guarantees that he bolts for mad UFA money.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
A Ribeiro-Kessel combo would score 80 goals between them, and still manage to be -20.

That's why.

Oh, thanks, Dave.

BTW, he's never been worse than -5 in one season and is +1 for his career.

I guess that's a lot worse than Grabo's -10 last year and Bozak's career -42.... :help:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A Ribeiro-Kessel combo would score 80 goals between them, and still manage to be -20.

That's why.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they attempt to sign Ribeiro. It would be fine with me if it's a reasonable term.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Weiss, Clarkson, White

go get them Nonis

Not possible to fit both Weiss and Clarkson (assuming it takes 10 M for both) unless we deal Grabovski. To be honest, I would much rather just sign Weiss, and move Grabo to the wing. If he doesn't pan out, we can buy him out next year/trade him and explore options to improve elsewhere.

Clarkson doesn't really address our main areas of concern (D, C), and comes at a hefty price. I would want to either use that cap space to acquire a D, or just keep it as free space to allow us room to play with next year, when a bunch of our high profile guys are up for raises (Kessel, Phaneuf, Kulemin, Bolland).

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Gotta dump salary:

Liles
Grabovski

That's 9.5

Could have gotten Letang with that

For who? Weiss? Bozak? Clarkson? Starting to be at risk of repeating the same mistakes. It's silly, really it makes no sense just a Bolland only kind sorta made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad