Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
This is what makes this so interesting.

Nobody really knows what will happen. But I think it's safe to say that DP's contract gets moved.

How massive of compensation will go with him? Who knows. But 24mil is a LOT of money.

It'll take a lot to make a team take that much a financial blow.

I don't see Toronto doing it for anything short of Strome +

I'd love Reinhart. Guy is basically exactly what we're missing in our defensive prospect pool.

What about:

To Leafs:
RDP
Reinhart
Islanders 2nd

To Isles:
Komisarek
Leafs 2nd
Blacker/similar prospect

That's not brutal.

How about we take on DiPietro, Strome, Nino for Liles and Blacker. 2 highly rated prospects and a 24 million dollar dump in return for a good defensive prospect as well as a good NHL vet pmd in Liles. Both teams benefit quite a bit from this deal. Islanders aren't really short on top end forwards.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
I think you guys are really overrating what the Islanders will give up for someone to take DiPietro. Do you honestly see the Islanders giving up 2 top prospects like Strome and Nino just to get rid of DiPietro?

Also, I've got this feeling that no team is even going to touch DiPietro for a buyout. I would think it'll be hard to justify to any team's ownership that they're going to pay $24Million for a couple prospects.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
This is what makes this so interesting.

Nobody really knows what will happen. But I think it's safe to say that DP's contract gets moved.

How massive of compensation will go with him? Who knows. But 24mil is a LOT of money.

It'll take a lot to make a team take that much a financial blow.

I don't see Toronto doing it for anything short of Strome +

I'd love Reinhart. Guy is basically exactly what we're missing in our defensive prospect pool.

What about:

To Leafs:
RDP
Reinhart
Islanders 2nd

To Isles:
Komisarek
Leafs 2nd
Blacker/similar prospect

That's not brutal.

Can't give these guys good players. We have got to beat them next year.

I think the Isles and the Leafs are two good young teams that will be butting heads for years. We have to take away some of that future.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
How about we take on DiPietro, Strome, Nino for Liles and Blacker. 2 highly rated prospects and a 24 million dollar dump in return for a good defensive prospect as well as a good NHL vet pmd in Liles. Both teams benefit quite a bit from this deal. Islanders aren't really short on top end forwards.

Seriously man? Two top 5 prospects just to clear RDP's contract? I'd kill Snow if he did that, and i'm not even an Isles fan

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
To me, the Leafs have to be getting back such a sweetheart deal in order for us to do this. And I don't think your scenario does this for us:

Let's say we give the Liles and Komisarek as salary dumps. Well, the Isles could actually use those guys as hockey players, so we're basically taking their toxic contract and giving them hockey assets they can use to improve, which I don't like the sound of. What we get back from the Island has to offset the potential impact the Isles get from our two defensemen going their way, to ensure that the Leafs are always the winners in this deal.

Don't forget that getting rid of Liles and Komisarek would also help us in the process as we'd freeing up cap space and another compliance buy out.

Dipi has a 24 million buy out.

Liles is overpaid at a rate of a million a season (for easy calculations we'll say so deduct 3 million from Dipi buyout.

Komisarek is owed 3.5 next year or 2.33 as a buy out so subtract one of those figures.

Your left with something like Dipi still coming in around an amount of 18 million "bad dollars" so the Islanders would have to give us some very good assets for us to assume that.

I can see the Leafs taking on 10 to maybe 15 million for Dipi but not the full amount. The Leafs get better by having whatever extra assets the Islanders give us in picks/prospect/cheap young players plus cap space to now apply elsewhere.

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Hamonic is a RFA this off-season due a raise and is the big RD physical excellent defensive Dman that this team needs.

If I were Nonis I'd target him above Strome or 1st rounders.

To Leafs:

-Dipi to buy out
-Hamonic
-Exchange 1sts in the draft
-2nd rounder

To Islanders:
-Komisarek
-Liles

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Hamonic is a RFA this off-season due a raise and is the big RD physical excellent defensive Dman that this team needs.

To Leafs:

-Dipi to buy out
-Hamonic
-2nd rounder

To Islanders:
-Komisarek
-Liles

Good idea but still not enough. We should value Hamonic like we would offer sheet him. I would say 5.5 million which would be a first, second and a third pick as compensation.

That is not worth 24 million even with the 1st swap especially if we are sending Liles.

If we take Hamonic the NYI might take Komi off waivers just to get to the cap floor and get a D.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
question guys I'm sure you guys know by now the Rumor that the isles are willing to package significant assets in order to move Rick Dipetro's contract. I want to know would you deal Grabo for Rick Dipetro's and the NYI 1st rounder?

I would because it gets rid of Grabo contract which he is owed 22 million over the next 4 years, we can buyout Rick Dipetro's contract which only costs 1.5 million per year and his cap hit disappears and we'd end up with picks 15, 21 and 51 in a deep draft.

Not to mention we might be able to get our hands on both Bo Hovart and Max Domi addressing the need for center prospects.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
question guys I'm sure you guys know by now the Rumor that the isles are willing to package significant assets in order to move Rick Dipetro's contract. I want to know would you deal Grabo for Rick Dipetro's and the NYI 1st rounder?

I would because it gets rid of Grabo contract which he is owed 22 million over the next 4 years, we can buyout Rick Dipetro's contract which only costs 1.5 million per year and his cap hit disappears and we'd end up with picks 15, 21 and 51 in a deep draft.

Not to mention we might be able to get our hands on both Bo Hovart and Max Domi addressing the need for center prospects.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON

To Leafs:

-Dipi to buy out
-Hamonic
-2nd rounder

To Islanders:
-Komisarek
-Liles

That is so bad for the Isles. Dumping DiPietro is one thing, but they're not going to trade their best, young defenseman to get rid of him.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
That is so bad for the Isles. Dumping DiPietro is one thing, but they're not going to trade their best, young defenseman to get rid of him.

Then they'd better retain some more salary in a deal in a straight retaining deal or by accepting bad contracts.

Dipi is owed 24 million of dollars that do nothing. Put another way that is about half of what the Islanders spent on their entire roster last off-season.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
Then they'd better retain some more salary in a deal in a straight retaining deal or by accepting bad contracts.

Dipi is owed 24 million of dollars that do nothing. Put another way that is about half of what the Islanders spent on their entire roster last off-season.

They're already taking 2 terrible contracts in your proposed offer. Suddenly, instead of DiPietro being owed 24Million, the difference is less than 10Million when you take into account Liles and Komisarek.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hamonic would be a great pickup ... Doubt he gets moved, but you have to think if DP's contract gets moved one of the Isles assets (whether it be draft pick or prospect) will get moved with him... How badly Wang wants DP's contract gone will depend on how big those assets would be

Wonder if a deal like DiPietro, Hamonic for Komi, Liles, and Blacker would have Snow's attention ... Helps the Isles get to the salary floor, allows the Isles to replace Streit if he is walking as a UFA, and gives the Isles a decent prospect who is close to the NHL but needs another year of development (having Komi gives them that year) that could develop into a similar player to Hamonic

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
Hamonic would be a great pickup ... Doubt he gets moved, but you have to think if DP's contract gets moved one of the Isles assets (whether it be draft pick or prospect) will get moved with him... How badly Wang wants DP's contract gone will depend on how big those assets would be

Wonder if a deal like DiPietro, Hamonic for Komi, Liles, and Blacker would have Snow's attention ... Helps the Isles get to the salary floor, allows the Isles to replace Streit if he is walking as a UFA, and gives the Isles a decent prospect who is close to the NHL but needs another year of development (having Komi gives them that year) that could develop into a similar player to Hamonic

If you're going to send them Komisarek and Liles, the difference in cap dumps is around $10Million. Wang isn't going to force Snow to trade away their best defenseman to save $10Million.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
They're already taking 2 terrible contracts in your proposed offer. Suddenly, instead of DiPietro being owed 24Million, the difference is less than 10Million when you take into account Liles and Komisarek.

Komisarek and Liles aren't overpaid by a total of 10 million though which is the number that matters.

Liles will still play though and is overpaid by a million a season at worst x 3 years for 3 million + Komisarek at his buy out figure so you're looking at something around 5 -6 million range to deduct from the 24 million Dipi is owed.

Difference of 18 million or 19 million is massive.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Hey guys I have a better idea.

The Isles will def be willing to give us a good asset so what about..

To TO:

Rick DiPietro
John Tavares
1st

To NYI:

Komisarek
Liles
2nd

See how silly it sounds? I highly doubt we'd get Reinhart, Strome, Nino+ just for taking on DP.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
Komisarek and Liles aren't overpaid by a total of 10 million though which is the number that matters.

Liles will still play though and is overpaid by a million a season at worst x 3 years for 3 million + Komisarek at his buy out figure so you're looking at something around 5 -6 million range to deduct from the 24 million Dipi is owed.

Difference of 18 million or 19 million is massive.

Liles is still a cap dump. I think a lot of people on this board would take just about anything to get him off our roster.

If you're going to try and poach their best defenseman, you'll have to give them something of value when you're pawning off our bad contracts onto them as well.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Liles is still a cap dump. I think a lot of people on this board would take just about anything to get him off our roster.

If you're going to try and poach their best defenseman, you'll have to give them something of value when you're pawning off our bad contracts onto them as well.

Except are contracts provide some value. Dipi is owed 24 million!

When a Bank looks to sell bad debt to a collection agency which type of debt is worse for the bank: 1. The collection agency saying we won't assume that debt because it's absolutely terrible and we don't feel we can collect any kind of return on it so to bad Mr. Banker OR 2. The credit agency saying we'll a % of the value of the overall debt because we feel we get some kind of return.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd argue Liles is not actually a cap dump, rather he's expendable with the development of Franson and Gardiner ... He still has value as a PMD, solid on the powerplay, on a decent contract (three years left isn't desirable, but the cap hit is on par for a defenseman of his calibre)

Again in Snow's ideal world he would dump DP's contract for next to nothing, but NO team would take that on without having to get an asset with DP .. That's the reality of the market ... Obviously Snow doesn't want to part with any assets just to dump a contract but he's not the one paying DP's contract, Charles Wang is .. And by all accounts Wang wants Snow to get rid of that contract, so Snow will have to give up something .. That something will depend on how much Wang is forcing Snow on the issue ... Snow might not have much leverage in the situation to get rid of that contract without giving something substantial up

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
Except are contracts provide some value. Dipi is owed 24 million!

When a Bank looks to sell bad debt to a collection agency which type of debt is worse for the bank: 1. The collection agency saying we won't assume that debt because it's absolutely terrible and we don't feel we can collect any kind of return on it so to bad Mr. Banker OR 2. The credit agency saying we'll a % of the value of the overall debt because we feel we get some kind of return.

I just don't see any possible reason why they would do it. If it came down to that, I think they'd just buy DiPietro out and call it a day. They've already bought out a terrible contract before in Yashin (along with others according to Isles fans), so I think these rumours are just to see what's out there.

Also, I think if this was a deal that was on the table, the Canucks would step in with Luongo instead of Komi+Liles and the Islanders would take that deal instead.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Hey guys I have a better idea.

The Isles will def be willing to give us a good asset so what about..

To TO:

Rick DiPietro
John Tavares
1st

To NYI:

Komisarek
Liles
2nd

See how silly it sounds? I highly doubt we'd get Reinhart, Strome, Nino+ just for taking on DP.

I think you are confusing this whole proposition with a fair hockey trade. It is not. Consider a trade like a date. Both sides enter it willingly and end it on their terms.

This transaction is more like hiring a prostitute. You pay a whole lot of money and in the end the Isles get screwed (pun intended).

I think you need to adjust your thinking.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Why our we sending a contract back????? Komi is gone next year

We get more other assets if we just take DP for a prospect they will add 1st +++

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I think you are confusing this whole proposition with a fair hockey trade. It is not. Consider a trade like a date. Both sides enter it willingly and end it on their terms.

This transaction is more like hiring a prostitute. You pay a whole lot of money and in the end the Isles get screwed (pun intended).

Yes I am aware. I'm just saying there are way too many proposals overating what the "good asset" we will be getting back is. Some people are expecting way too much.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I'd argue Liles is not actually a cap dump, rather he's expendable with the development of Franson and Gardiner ... He still has value as a PMD, solid on the powerplay, on a decent contract (three years left isn't desirable, but the cap hit is on par for a defenseman of his calibre)

Again in Snow's ideal world he would dump DP's contract for next to nothing, but NO team would take that on without having to get an asset with DP .. That's the reality of the market ... Obviously Snow doesn't want to part with any assets just to dump a contract but he's not the one paying DP's contract, Charles Wang is .. And by all accounts Wang wants Snow to get rid of that contract, so Snow will have to give up something .. That something will depend on how much Wang is forcing Snow on the issue ... Snow might not have much leverage in the situation to get rid of that contract without giving something substantial up

That is a fair assessment of Liles. He might be tradeable to a team in the off-season for a minimal return where he could become their PP QB like he was for us last season before Franson took his spot for that role.

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto

Lol. This.

Think of it as purchasing assets from the Isles for 24 million dollars. What collection of assets is worth that amount? Anything less than top prospects - which still are not a sure thing - would be unjustifiable to management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad