Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
I think a trade of Franson + 1st for Edmontons 7th overall is a fair trade we do not have to deal Reilly/Gardener and your not getting that pick with Liles..

I would even go as far as to say if we could do that deal assuming Monahan is gone we turn around and deal it to Columbus for 14th & 23rd or to Calgary 25th & 29th

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I think a trade of Franson + 1st for Edmontons 7th overall is a fair trade we do not have to deal Reilly/Gardener and your not getting that pick with Liles..

I would even go as far as to say if we could do that deal assuming Monahan is gone we turn around and deal it to Columbus for 14th & 23rd or to Calgary 25th & 29th

Edm seems to be targeting one of Monahan or Lindholm (2 guys likely around that spot)

Don't think I would trade our first if those guys (along with the big 5) are off the board.

I would rather sit back and wait, than draft another D (Nurse, Zadarov, Ristolainen).....Even best forward available at the time is quite the drop off from what is likely to go in the top 6.

Just my opinion.

legendinblue

NHL in Seattle
Apr 30, 2011
Seattle/Europe

That's not going to go over well with Oilers fans I suppose.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
It actually has been well recieved

Would the 7th pick to the Flyers who desperately need D be enough to get us Sean Couturier???

Does that solve our C problem?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

So we would deal Franson and our 1st to move back in the draft and get another very late 1st? No thanks.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
If Edmonton cannot move up for Barkov and Monahan Lindhom our gone that leaves all of the D prospects for 7-11 to be picked...

They need help now as Katz & Mac T said in the year in Presser no more waiting on development hence Franson would step in and be top pairing

7th may not have what we want on board but Philly is desperate for D and Couturier is the centre we need..and Philly gets to draft the D they want with 2 picks..

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If Edmonton cannot move up for Barkov and Monahan Lindhom our gone that leaves all of the D prospects for 7-11 to be picked...

They need help now as Katz & Mac T said in the year in Presser no more waiting on development hence Franson would step in and be top pairing

7th may not have what we want on board but Philly is desperate for D and Couturier is the centre we need..and Philly gets to draft the D they want with 2 picks..

A lot of moving parts.

If it were to happen. In the end - Franson + 21st for SC, is a great deal.

and you being a Leaf fan in Hawaii is pretty awesome in its own.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Ha..i came here to play Rugby after Brock and a few years on Bay street, don't play anymore now except old guys league..
Yeah its nice

But still bleed blue..

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

I'm just not sold on it. We give up our 1st, plus Franson, for Couturier? I'm fine with our 1st, and I'm fine with Franson, but Franson + our 1st? I'm just not there yet... Couturier looks like a great #2C in the future, but I'm not sold on his #1C status. He's a bit of a puppy dog.

Would we not be in a better position trying to trade up to the 10-15th and grabbing Bo Horvat, or selecting Frederik Gauthier and keeping Franson?

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto

It's pretty likely that atleast one of Monahan or Lindholm will be there when their pick rolls around. Its unlikely they move that pick.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
A lot of moving parts.

If it were to happen. In the end - Franson + 21st for SC, is a great deal.

and you being a Leaf fan in Hawaii is pretty awesome in its own.

In terms of value perhaps, but the club turned a corner this season, and Franson's production was a big part. If the club wants to move forward, selling off parts (unless they know his future money expectations are a deal breaker) is a good way to fall off track. Especially when the thing you add has a strong chance of offering less immediate value (SC) then what you are subtracting. The Monahan deals are this in the extreme, because even if he does become a star quality player, that is years away. I have had enough of missing the playoffs, and so has the Leafs organization. Not going to happen.

IF they deal IMO, it will have to either be with assets that had no contribution to the playoff run: picks, prospects, maybe even Gardiner/Scrivens, or with assets that will return little except cap space: Grabo, Liles. I guess they might do a true hockey trade, but that would be swapping for reliable current value, and the Leafs are in position to add a bit to ensure the value of what they get. So perhaps Franson+ but only for another defensemen of similar age who is more physical and a bit better defensively. Hard to find, but they don't want to weaken their weakest area.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
In terms of value perhaps, but the club turned a corner this season, and Franson's production was a big part. If the club wants to move forward, selling off parts (unless they know his future money expectations are a deal breaker) is a good way to fall off track. Especially when the thing you add has a strong chance of offering less immediate value (SC) then what you are subtracting. The Monahan deals are this in the extreme, because even if he does become a star quality player, that is years away. I have had enough of missing the playoffs, and so has the Leafs organization. Not going to happen.

IF they deal IMO, it will have to either be with assets that had no contribution to the playoff run: picks, prospects, maybe even Gardiner/Scrivens, or with assets that will return little except cap space: Grabo, Liles. I guess they might do a true hockey trade, but that would be swapping for reliable current value, and the Leafs are in position to add a bit to ensure the value of what they get. So perhaps Franson+ but only for another defensemen of similar age who is more physical and a bit better defensively. Hard to find, but they don't want to weaken their weakest area.

This is what I would also suggest. Either we're dealing auxiliary pieces in Gunnarson, Kulemin, Frattin, Fraser, or Scrivens, and/or picks and prospects not named Reilly, and possibly Gardiner for the right return, but surely not Franson, who is trending toward a true all-purpose top-pairing defender.

There are intriguing centre prospects available from 10th to 20th overall, and we'd be fine grabbing one of those too. However, I'd love to see us sell off some of the excess and grab late 1sts / a few 2nds this year, and take advantage of the top-60 in a deep draft.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This is what I would also suggest. Either we're dealing auxiliary pieces in Gunnarson, Kulemin, Frattin, Fraser, or Scrivens, and/or picks and prospects not named Reilly, and possibly Gardiner for the right return, but surely not Franson, who is trending toward a true all-purpose top-pairing defender.

There are intriguing centre prospects available from 10th to 20th overall, and we'd be fine grabbing one of those too. However, I'd love to see us sell off some of the excess and grab late 1sts / a few 2nds this year, and take advantage of the top-60 in a deep draft.

Maybe that's what Nonis meant by "no one is untouchable."

Rielly doesn't get moved at all
Gardiner gets moved for a very good piece [not prospect back]
I could see Scrivens being moved, Fraser as well (to make room for d-men in the AHL), and apparently Kulemin is always been asked about but we're the team that says no.

Nonis said he didn't want to go the UFA route to hard, so chances will be done via trade. i think Calgary will be a dance partner, only because while they can argue "we can draft 3x in the first round, etc", their drafting (according to the SUN) isn't really good. they can rebuild through young people like us. Ditto, Edmonton. MAYBE Columbus.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Maybe that's what Nonis meant by "no one is untouchable."

Rielly doesn't get moved at all
Gardiner gets moved for a very good piece [not prospect back]
I could see Scrivens being moved, Fraser as well (to make room for d-men in the AHL), and apparently Kulemin is always been asked about but we're the team that says no.

Nonis said he didn't want to go the UFA route to hard, so chances will be done via trade. i think Calgary will be a dance partner, only because while they can argue "we can draft 3x in the first round, etc", their drafting (according to the SUN) isn't really good. they can rebuild through young people like us. Ditto, Edmonton. MAYBE Columbus.

Columbus is also intriguing. Boone Jenner is a guy I really want in our system, but he's highly regarded in Columbus. I'd be willing to part with our 1st this year for a guy like Jenner, but I don't think Columbus would want to initiate that trade. Perhaps it takes something like:

Jake Gardiner
20th overall

for

Boone Jenner
15th overall

I know we're giving up a lot in Gardiner, but Jenner has the complete package IMO... we've all seen him play in the WJCs, and he stepped right into the AHL this spring with 4 pts in 5 games, and 5 pts in 8 playoff games. At 6'2" 204lbs, he has enough size to do what we need him to. Moving up 5 more spots in the draft means we can select Pulock or Zadorov to recuperate the loss of Jake.

Is it too much for us to give up? Are we not just better off keeping Gardiner and drafting Ht/Wt:6' 5"/210 lb Gauthier?

If I'm Columbus, do I think about this trade? Jenner's hard to give up but does the acquisition of Gardiner offset that?

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I always find the perception of Franson being such an upward trend defender and Gunnarsson a spare piece as ironic.

Franson is 9 months ... months younger than Gunnarsson. Gunnarsson continuously plays against the best opposition players.

Franson for most of the season got 3rd. pairing with Fraser, and we know Carlyle is a line matcher.

Franson is great on the PP, and okay even strength.
Gunnarson is good on the PK, and good at even strength.

Rielly is not going to replace Gunnarsson, perhaps Granberg will in time.
It should be expected Rielly would replace Franson's or Phaneuf's PP minutes.

Spare part defenders are Liles, Fraser, Kostka, Marlies. I like Fraser, especially his physicality, but speed, and decision making isn't the greatest. I'd like to keep him for a 7th. defender, but outside of Phaneuf, Gunnarson, Franson, Gardiner I wouldn't have a problem with anyone else being considered spare parts (outside Rielly of course).

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Columbus is also intriguing. Boone Jenner is a guy I really want in our system, but he's highly regarded in Columbus. I'd be willing to part with our 1st this year for a guy like Jenner, but I don't think Columbus would want to initiate that trade. Perhaps it takes something like:

Jake Gardiner
20th overall

for

Boone Jenner
15th overall

I know we're giving up a lot in Gardiner, but Jenner has the complete package IMO... we've all seen him play in the WJCs, and he stepped right into the AHL this spring with 4 pts in 5 games, and 5 pts in 8 playoff games. At 6'2" 204lbs, he has enough size to do what we need him to. Moving up 5 more spots in the draft means we can select Pulock or Zadorov to recuperate the loss of Jake.

Is it too much for us to give up? Are we not just better off keeping Gardiner and drafting Ht/Wt:6' 5"/210 lb Gauthier?

If I'm Columbus, do I think about this trade? Jenner's hard to give up but does the acquisition of Gardiner offset that?

Jenner is more of a 2nd/3rd line center. I think a player like Mike Richards is probably the best you can hope for. As much as I would love to have him, I'm not giving up Gardiner to get him.

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
I wonder if Nashville would go for this...

To Nashville
Gardiner
Grabovski
2014 1st Round Pick
2013 2nd Round pick

To Toronto:
4th overall (Barkov)
Kostitsyn (salary)

Pick Barkov and trade our pick (20th) plus Colborne to move up and draft Zadorov.

Sign Richards if he gets bought out. Sign Scuderi. Sign Bickell. Don't sign Bozak, MacArthur or McLaren. Re-sign Kadri, Franson, Gunnarsson, Orr.

JVR - Richards - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Bickell
Kulemin - Barkov - Frattin
Orr - MacLement - Komarov

Phaneuf - Scuderi
Reilly - Gunnarsson
Fraser - Franson

Reimer
Scrivens

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Jenner is more of a 2nd/3rd line center. I think a player like Mike Richards is probably the best you can hope for. As much as I would love to have him, I'm not giving up Gardiner to get him.

I'm not sure I'd give up Gardiner in this trade either, but if Jenner is a 3rd. line center where does that place Biggs?

Jenner went to the AHL playoffs and has 2 goals 5 points in 8 games. Biggs got in 1 game.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

If Leafs trade a defenseman to Edmonton, it should be Dion, he's exactly what they need and would bring the greatest return.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If Leafs trade a defenseman to Edmonton, it should be Dion, he's exactly what they need and would bring the greatest return.

I would not be surprised to see the Oilers make a huge splash this year.

However, I don't think the Leafs will trade Phaneuf (I'd be just fine with moving him), but I don't see it.

Phaneuf for Oilers pick+Marincin +/-
Leafs first for Edler/Hamhuis - cap relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: