Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I think the 15th pick plus getting rid of Komi would be good enough. It's a pretty deep draft and we can actually get an impact player at 15. We can also package 15 and 21 to move into the top ten and get a blue chipper. Or we can just pick BPA with the 15 and 21st picks, to really restock the prospect pool. If this doesn't work for you, what did you have in mind? Do to think its actually possible to get and asset like Strome from them?

While I would have no problem with MLSE spending that kind of money (cuz heck its not my money), I have to think that if they are dishing out that kind of dough they probably want something more tangible in return for their investment than just a 15th overall draft pick that may or may not turn into something.

Just my thoughts.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
While I would have no problem with MLSE spending that kind of money (cuz heck its not my money), I have to think that if they are dishing out that kind of dough they probably want something more tangible in return for their investment than just a 15th overall draft pick that may or may not turn into something.

Just my thoughts.

Your thoughts are correct.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
There really isn't a precedent set for a trade involving DiPietro's contract and buy-outs, particularly with the new CBA so if Nonis can work some magic I think work Snow over (especially if Wang is pressuring him to move the contract)

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
If you were a millionaire wouldn't you give up a decent asset to save your bank 25 MILLION dollars? Sorry isles fans but you're in for some heartache at some point.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Here is HNIC Friedman's exact words thats started this DP chatter..

"The Islanders might be willing to move DiPietro for an expensive, shorter contract to buy out, but they'll have to also move a solid asset - a good young player, a top prospect or a high draft pick - for a rival club to at least consider taking on the goalie’s contract."

I think this is a golden oppurtunity for the Leafs to garner another blue chip asset just for cash and cannot be ignored..

This could also be the chance to land the #1C we have been after for so long..

DP + 1st (15th) is not going to be enough to eat $24m not a chance the pick is way to low..So there will be another asset of true value coming

If i was the Leafs i would deal together like this

TOR 2nd + Prospect say Blacker
NYI DP + 1ST + Strome or Reinhardt

The 2nd + Blacker makes getting the Blue chip prospect possible as well as the first

I am not sure but whats 15th +21st worth to move up in draft? Into top 10?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Just my thoughts.

Your thoughts are correct.

Absolutely, it will be a proven player.

Can't see it happening from either side.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Just my thoughts.

-San Jose bought a NJ which was set be a late first at the time of the trade by taking on Malakhov (it turned into 26th overall) who I believe had a salary around 4 million.

-Toronto bought Franson for taking on around 5 million of risky (but still potentially capable of playing Lombardi - Lebda going the other way). I'd have pegged Franson draft pick value at somewhere in the 25-35th range at the time of the trade.

My guess is that the 15th pick would be valued at somewhere in the 8 million range. Dipi would cost 24 million so extra assets better be coming our way or bad contract the Islanders way.

Including Komi is a given but I could see a third team with a bad contract like Florida with JovoCop or Upshall getting included in the deal somehow.

member 147413

I think Toronto is the only NHL team, with the money and lack of "amnesty" level contracts to be able to take DiPietro. I'd assume Komisarek and a mid level pick would have to be included from us, and their 1st and a solid prospect (not Top prospect imo) would be asked for from them.

To NYI:

Komisarek
2013 4th

To Tor:

DiPietro
15th Overall
Nelson/De Haan/Niederreiter

Now I'd assume Nino, purely based of the "reported" conflicts between the two sides. One would argue Nino to be a "Top Prospect" and while the skill is there, like I said there is some reported animosity.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Komi has 1 Year left...DiPi has 8 Years left the exchange of the 2 is meaningless may as well keep him and try and get more assets from NYI by not sending salary back

mikebel111*

Why send Komi at all...add a higher pick and try and get Strome and 1st

If I were nonis, I would stay in touch with isles and try to get something done. I think strome could be had or if we are lucky griffin rienhart. [sorry about spelling].

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
With the rumour of Streit wanting to test UFA status, Liles would be a good candidate to fill his role as a PP QB for Islanders.

Including both Liles and Komisarek for Dipi makes sense as the Islanders are going to have to take on some bad contract in any deal involving Dipi.

mikebel111*

With the rumour of Streit wanting to test UFA status, Liles would be a good candidate to fill his role as a PP QB for Islanders.

Including both Liles and Komisarek for Dipi makes sense as the Islanders are going to have to take on some bad contract in any deal involving Dipi.

I am not sure they accept 2 big money contracts, they will do one but maybe not 2

how about this deal

leafs get

DIPI, strome and maybe another asset

isles get
[komo, liles and a 2nd ]

I am not good at deals so don't flame lol:)

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Komi is getting compliancedm, thats a foregone conclusion. Liles for DiPietro and Strome sounds good to me. Then DiPietro can get complianced too

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
Komi is getting compliancedm, thats a foregone conclusion. Liles for DiPietro and Strome sounds good to me. Then DiPietro can get complianced too

I dont think thats set in stone, komi only has 1 year left.. hell be gone but not as a buy out you can book that

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Here is HNIC Friedman's exact words thats started this DP chatter..

"The Islanders might be willing to move DiPietro for an expensive, shorter contract to buy out, but they'll have to also move a solid asset - a good young player, a top prospect or a high draft pick - for a rival club to at least consider taking on the goalie’s contract."

I think this is a golden oppurtunity for the Leafs to garner another blue chip asset just for cash and cannot be ignored..

This could also be the chance to land the #1C we have been after for so long..

DP + 1st (15th) is not going to be enough to eat $24m not a chance the pick is way to low..So there will be another asset of true value coming

If i was the Leafs i would deal together like this

TOR 2nd + Prospect say Blacker
NYI DP + 1ST + Strome or Reinhardt

The 2nd + Blacker makes getting the Blue chip prospect possible as well as the first

I am not sure but whats 15th +21st worth to move up in draft? Into top 10?

the cost to buyout dipietro is obviously insane but it is not reasonable to think that snow/wang would agree to move 15th overall pick + strome/reinhardt in exchange for paying the buyout. they would be better off letting him collect dust and help to get to the cap floor then to give up a premium prospect like strome/ reinhart.

its a weird situation because why would any team take on that kind of money without being compensated greatly but why would the islanders give up assets like strome/reinhardt who will be pretty good players for a long time just to dump the money.

i think its more likely that a possible trade be worked around liles and grabovski for dipietro. the leafs could then amnesty dipietro and komisarek and get rid of all of their cap dumps leaving them with;

jvr xxxxx kessel
lupul kadri xxxxxx
kulemin xxxxx frattin
komorov mclemment orr
hamilton

phaneuf xxxxxx
gardiner franson
gunnarson xxxxxx

reimer
scrivens

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
There really isn't a precedent set for a trade involving DiPietro's contract and buy-outs, particularly with the new CBA so if Nonis can work some magic I think work Snow over (especially if Wang is pressuring him to move the contract)

This is what makes this so interesting.

Nobody really knows what will happen. But I think it's safe to say that DP's contract gets moved.

How massive of compensation will go with him? Who knows. But 24mil is a LOT of money.

It'll take a lot to make a team take that much a financial blow.

I don't see Toronto doing it for anything short of Strome +

I'd love Reinhart. Guy is basically exactly what we're missing in our defensive prospect pool.

What about:

To Leafs:
RDP
Reinhart
Islanders 2nd

To Isles:
Komisarek
Leafs 2nd
Blacker/similar prospect

That's not brutal.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

To me, the Leafs have to be getting back such a sweetheart deal in order for us to do this. And I don't think your scenario does this for us:

Let's say we give the Liles and Komisarek as salary dumps. Well, the Isles could actually use those guys as hockey players, so we're basically taking their toxic contract and giving them hockey assets they can use to improve, which I don't like the sound of. What we get back from the Island has to offset the potential impact the Isles get from our two defensemen going their way, to ensure that the Leafs are always the winners in this deal.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is what makes this so interesting.

Nobody really knows what will happen. But I think it's safe to say that DP's contract gets moved.

How massive of compensation will go with him? Who knows. But 24mil is a LOT of money.

It'll take a lot to make a team take that much a financial blow.

I don't see Toronto doing it for anything short of Strome +

I'd love Reinhart. Guy is basically exactly what we're missing in our defensive prospect pool.

What about:

To Leafs:
RDP
Reinhart
Islanders 2nd

To Isles:
Komisarek
Leafs 2nd
Blacker/similar prospect

That's not brutal.

Make that the Islanders first, and no 2nd rounder from us going back their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad