U18: 2013 IIHF U18 World Championship in Sochi, Russia (April 18-28)

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
well, I am not:laugh::laugh:

Eh what can i say if we have only 2 2014 NHL draft prospects on the roster Bukarts and Egle and golovkovs who if he moves to chl might get drafted, outside of these guys we really don`t have much,so the result is obvious.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Looking forward to tomorrow's games...

Interesting quote coming out of the Russian press, apparently Barbashev was quoted as saing he doesn't particularly like the Finns and they like the Czechs play like rats.

You got to love the no filter on the brain media speak by some of these kids. Holy Smokes.

Fulcrum

Interesting quote coming out of the Russian press, apparently Barbashev was quoted as saing he doesn't particularly like the Finns and they like the Czechs play like rats.

You got to love the no filter on the brain media speak by some of these kids. Holy Smokes.

:amazed: I don't really see what the big deal is, just an opinion of an 18 year old kid who is not even a professional yet. Many Russian pros have gone on record saying that Czechs like to instigate physically with jabs and hooks behind refs backs.

Vatanen was worse in 2010 WJC, he was already a professional and already declared that they won the game before it was even played and Kuznetsov ended up throwing it back in his face.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Of course you don't see what is a big deal fulcrum. It is not Team Russia that is offended, but a Russian captain that is offending somebody. Just imagine a reversed situation, some Canadian or Finn would call Russians rats. Uproar on Russian forums would go on for years. And what has Vatanen to do with wjc u18 this year? If you want to find the worst what was done between this two nations on junior level, find a video of Timkin's beat down of Pulkkinen and Granlund. Anyway, Vatanen was cocky but Barbashev is just completely disrespectful.

Fulcrum

Of course you don't see what is a big deal fulcrum. It is not Team Russia that is offended, but a Russian captain that is offending somebody. Just imagine a reversed situation, some Canadian or Finn would call Russians rats. Uproar on Russian forums would go on for years. And what has Vatanen to do with wjc u18 this year? If you want to find the worst what was done between this two nations on junior level, find a video of Timkin's beat down of Pulkkinen and Granlund. Anyway, Vatanen was cocky but Barbashev is just completely disrespectful.

OMG what an uproar, Garl. Russian players get called stuff all the time, stereotypes and russophobia unlimited. It's his opinion, if it's offending someone they shouldn't be in hockey! It's not like he declared Russian a prelimanary winner, he just described a style of play that he thinks a certain team has demonstrated, not to mention that he might actually have a point. It's not disrespectful to say that Canadians played dirty in the 70's because they did.. and no one held it back. Again, it's an opinion.

And you mean when Timkin was taking care of business and protecting his teammate after he dangerously got checked in to the boards? Ye, you can also see that Fins thought they could do that and walk away without being confronted or even punished. Sticking up for a teammate is disrespectful eh?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
OMG what an uproar, Garl. Russian players get called stuff all the time, stereotypes and russophobia unlimited. It's his opinion, if it's offending someone they shouldn't be in hockey! It's not like he declared Russian a prelimanary winner, he just described a style of play that he thinks a certain team has demonstrated, not to mention that he might actually have a point. Inot to mention that he might actually have a point Again, it's an opinion.

And you mean when Timkin was taking care of business and protecting his teammate after he dangerously got checked in to the boards? Ye, you can also see that Fins thought they could do that and walk away without being confronted or even punished. Sticking up for a teammate is disrespectful eh?

Man what are homer you are.)))

OMG what an uproar, Garl. Russian players get called stuff all the time, stereotypes and russophobia unlimited.
Russian players gets called stuff by who exactly?
It's his opinion
He is a team captain and he calls his opponents "rats"(lower beings) after a great win against USA in press. Shows who he is. A dumb guy(because he is a captain and shouldn't say smth. like that to the press) full of *****(they eat the same bread, and respecting your opponent is a part of respecting yourself, espescially when it's not the game time).
if it's offending someone they shouldn't be in hockey!
Really? Once again, reverse the situation, wouldn't you take offense?

It's not like he declared Russian a prelimanary winner
That would be cocky but at least not rude.

he just described a style of play that he thinks a certain team has demonstrated
can use better words with press

not to mention that he might actually have a point
Really? What do you think it is? Some kind of a Good vs Evil battle? According to Barbashev finss and czechs are rats, according to Buchnevich americans are provocators. And russians are absolutely clean. Just concussing opponents in extibition games, sometimes overly dramatic defending their goalie and talking ***** after the game.
Yeah, he has a point.

LOL. Timkin was a bully. If he wanted to stick up for his teammate, he should have fought Hartikainen who made that play. Instead, he found easy targets in two 18 y.o. small underagers who had nothing to do with that dangerous play. He did that only because he knew, he will not have to answer. Same as Artyukhin who was beating guys who couldn't answer. Intresting, how would you have reacted if it was reversed, and some big 20 y.o. finn went after 18 y.o small 1st liners?

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
LOL. Timkin was a bully. If he wanted to stick up for his teammate, he should have fought Hartikainen who made that play. Instead, he found easy targets in two 18 y.o. small underagers who had nothing to do with that dangerous play. He did that only because he knew, he will not have to answer. Same as Artyukhin who was beating guys who couldn't answer. Intresting, how would you have reacted if it was reversed, and some big 20 y.o. finn went after 18 y.o small 1st liners?
didn't he try to fight him? yes he did, its his fault none of the finns stood up for granlund, nope. and yes this hits shouldn't be left unpunished.
and rats are pretty tough creatures, after an atomic bomb they'll be the only creatures to stay. they'd take this as a compliment:laugh:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

Typical brat :laugh: Oh well, these are 17 or 18-year-olds and some of them haven't been raised well enough to know what to say in front of the press.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
didn't he try to fight him? yes he did, its his fault none of the finns stood up for granlund, nope. and yes this hits shouldn't be left unpunished.
and rats are pretty tough creatures, after an atomic bomb they'll be the only creatures to stay. they'd take this as a compliment:laugh:

Ok, so if let's say Canada sends Orr, McGrattan and MacIntyre to World Championships, they beat up Mozyakin and Morozov you would say, it's russian's fault they couldn't stand up for their finesse players? Finns actually tried to stand up against Timkin, but well, ok he's stronger than some underagers, very tough. And this people(fans) whine that opponents are "rats", LOL.

And well, he tried to fight Hartikainen, and was actually wailing on him, while he was held by another russian player, but then Timkin turned around and started punching Granlund and Pulkkinen.

Fulcrum

Ok, so if let's say Canada sends Orr, McGrattan and MacIntyre to World Championships, they beat up Mozyakin and Morozov you would say, it's russian's fault they couldn't stand up for their finesse players? Finns actually tried to stand up against Timkin, but well, ok he's stronger than some underagers, very tough. And this people(fans) whine that opponents are "rats", LOL.

And well, he tried to fight Hartikainen, and was actually wailing on him, while he was held by another russian player, but then Timkin turned around and started punching Granlund and Pulkkinen.

It's simple, there is a very simple rule in hockey that you're right because you are Stronger. End of story.

If Morozov or Mozyakin got beat up by someone, there is no complaining- they knew what they were doing going to play against tough guys. If those idiots would be on the ice, Russia could just as easily bring some knuckleheads of their own. That is just hockey.

If someone can't handle something, like being called a rat, in Hockey - its their problem, they can be sensitive at home with their mom and sister.

Those Finnish players are going to play a physical game and then turn around and complain about bullying? You're joking right?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
:amazed: I don't really see what the big deal is, just an opinion of an 18 year old kid who is not even a professional yet. Many Russian pros have gone on record saying that Czechs like to instigate physically with jabs and hooks behind refs backs.

Vatanen was worse in 2010 WJC, he was already a professional and already declared that they won the game before it was even played and Kuznetsov ended up throwing it back in his face.

I don't remember seeing such comments. Link?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
what barbashev did is dumb, too bad he comes from CSKA school (even though he's never played for CSKA). In his defense though, his words should be interpreted as he doesn't like playing the Czechs and Finns, cause they play like rats, still incorrect, but not as bad as some Czech player saying bluntly he doesn't like Russians...

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'm a little surprised that Johansson is the Swedish starter going in, but seems like he's doing well.

Wronskian

Mar 15, 2012
Can anyone elaborate on how McDavid has played? I see he had 1g 1a against Germany in addition to a couple against Slovakia. Does he look out of place?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Can anyone elaborate on how McDavid has played? I see he had 1g 1a against Germany in addition to a couple against Slovakia. Does he look out of place?

He looks good, not out of place, but against slightly weaker opposition. I'm anxious to see how he does against the cream of the crop medal contenders.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
I'm a little surprised that Johansson is the Swedish starter going in, but seems like he's doing well.

Thinking in terms of him being out of juice later in the tournament? Because as far as i'm concerned he's the best 95 born goalie in Sweden, the most talented as well. He had a bit of a down year this year even though he played great during stretches. Within two years he's the starter for Brynäs. I'm sure of it.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Thinking in terms of him being out of juice later in the tournament? Because as far as i'm concerned he's the best 95 born goalie in Sweden, the most talented as well. He had a bit of a down year this year even though he played great during stretches. Within two years he's the starter for Brynäs. I'm sure of it.

Siönäs was the starter for this age group last year and they've split the starts this season. Siönäs has usually been given the tougher opponents(USA x2 in November among others) by Grönborg and has been posting a little better stats aswell. He's also played for U19.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
Siönäs was the starter for this age group last year and they've split the starts this season. Siönäs has usually been given the tougher opponents(USA x2 in November among others) by Grönborg and has been posting a little better stats aswell. He's also played for U19.

Well, marginally better stats. Johansson finished the season really well with Brynäs J18 and clinched the cup. Perhaps he looked like the hotter option going in to the tournament? Siönäs has played well for he national team but has struggled in league play, that obviously has to do with the less than stellar team he plays on. But in my mind there is no justification not to play Johansson. He's just better right now.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Well, marginally better stats. Johansson finished the season really well with Brynäs J18 and clinched the cup. Perhaps he looked like the hotter option going in to the tournament? Siönäs has played well for he national team but has struggled in league play, that obviously has to do with the less than stellar team he plays on. But in my mind there is no justification not to play Johansson. He's just better right now.

Yes, I have no idea what they've done in camp etc. Just that Siönäs has never been in the back seat to Johansson for two years before this tournament. That's the only reason I was surprised.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
well, I am not:laugh::laugh:

It's hard to say why the team sucks as much as it does, as well... this isn't our best year but also not the worst one, there are players that can play better than 0:14 in two games vs Finland and Czech Republic. Ok, I'd understand Finland as they have a good team, maybe we didn't play our best or whatever but the performance was even worse against Czech Republic....

I dunno what they're preparing for, maybe already for best of 2 in the relegation vs whoever comes out from the other group. It's no surprise that I didn't expect any point from games vs Czechs, Finns, USA, Russia but at least last year we had 1-6 vs RUS, 1-3 vs SWE (and the third goal on empty net) and 4-7 to Czechs in an entertaining game (not to mention we won GER and SWI). Ok, 1994 is definitely a more talented year than 1995 but still the team shouldn't stink so bad...

In any case, as was said, it doesn't matter cause aside from 3-4 guys there won't be big future in hockey for these kids. Maybe if they see this level of hockey they'll understand what they should strive for and will work harder. Those who play in MHL (like 4.5 players on the team) want to compete but the team is dragging them down, for some on this team making it to Sochi is already an accomplishment and maybe the pinnacle of their hockey carrer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad