U18: 2013 IIHF U18 World Championship in Sochi, Russia (April 18-28)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
kapanen hit his right shoulder to the goal post, holding icepack on it

he is back on the ice, seems like it was nothing serious

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Not a bad start, 2pt games for the "big4" Nylander, DLR, Burakovsky and Wallmark.

arsmaster*

Why is Wennberg not listed on Sweden's roster. Forgive me if this has been discussed somewhere else.

NVM - late 1994. ;)

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
2-1 USA after one. Same old story for Russia - weak defense that keeps the puck bouncing in front of their goal all period. Frustration penalties because they can't clear the zone. Maybe they will pick up the game in the Second. It always astounds me how Russian youth defensemen are always taught to play like robots - especially when making the robotic play of ringing the puck around the boards to try to clear the zone. Everybody knows exactly what they are going to do, so it is safe to take what otherwise would be a big risk of pinching everybody in deep along the boards. Watch the US when the Russian D tries to clear the puck along the boards. There are two or three guys in deep to take the pass and redirect to a forward in front of the goal. Its always a disaster, but they keep on doing it.

Lets hope they can bounce back in Period 2.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Much better in the Second Period for Russia. Better on offense, much better on defense. What a blast by Buchnevich! Should be a great 3rd Period.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
A bit surprised about Goldobin, but I haven't seen a lot of the other guys who could be stronger candidates than him. It'll be interesting what kind of Roster Kravchuk sees, from what I heard he is a demanding coach when it comes to defensive responsibilities.

Goldobin not being part of Team Russia has to be something away from not being able to crack the roster. He would be the best forward for Russia not named Nichushkin (maybe Buchnevich too). He's improved drastically over the past 8-12 months.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Goldobin not being part of Team Russia has to be something away from not being able to crack the roster. He would be the best forward for Russia not named Nichushkin (maybe Buchnevich too). He's improved drastically over the past 8-12 months.

Disagree. Kravchuk had a reason not take him. I watched today´s game and I could not see any improvements of CHLers in RUS NT (maybe Lysenko).

Fulcrum

And you know this because youve seen every other player on team russia and know them well? Lets be objective here, you probably only have heard of just a few of them and seen even less play.

I really do trust Kravchuck, he looks for a lot of intangibles and he has worked with these kids and knows them better than any of us. Im not saying Goldobin isnt a good player, but the impression im getting is that there are other kids who bring what is needed for is team, while goldobin wouldnt to the same extent.

There is no conspiracy here so dont start one, just coaches preference

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The saddest part of Goldobin story is that he is just playing junior hockey. I am 100% sure he would play KHL this season for Novokuznetsk, he would get the same chance like Slepyshev did a few yrs back.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
The saddest part of Goldobin story is that he is just playing junior hockey. I am 100% sure he would play KHL this season for Novokuznetsk, he would get the same chance like Slepyshev did a few yrs back.
Well, these young Russians players are stupid. They should not leave Russia to ruin their careers until they are fully developed.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
And you know this because youve seen every other player on team russia and know them well? Lets be objective here, you probably only have heard of just a few of them and seen even less play.

I really do trust Kravchuck, he looks for a lot of intangibles and he has worked with these kids and knows them better than any of us. Im not saying Goldobin isnt a good player, but the impression im getting is that there are other kids who bring what is needed for is team, while goldobin wouldnt to the same extent.

There is no conspiracy here so dont start one, just coaches preference

My purpose wasn't to start conspiracy, I thought that maybe he got hurt since going home or something else. I would assume Kravchuck is very aware of who he is and what we can do. Team dynamic is a possibility. However I was thinking something beyond both of their control, like an injury or something someone there might be aware of. Obviously they've started out well, they beat USA to open the tournament.

Since you insisted I've "only heard of a few players on Russia and seen even less" I figured I should mention that I gone to see 7 of the 12 forwards selected to play for this U18 Team Russia. I would without question put Goldobin ahead of 5 of those players..

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I think Latvia didn't try to play the Finns and will put forth all they got today to beat the Czech. If you are them, you got to pick your battles.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad