Speculation: 2013 - Free-agent Discussion

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
To me, there is two sticking points:

1) I don't think we would be one the most attractive options to those guys. So in order to get one of them we would have to overpay, or give more years than we would like.

2) How do we get rid of the dead weight we have on D? Sure it looks an easy thing to do, but would our mgmt be willing to buy out those guys if we don't find any takers? As you said, money might be problem.

Ideally a defense like:

Scuderi - Johnson
Hejda - Jones
Wilson - Barrie
Hunwick

With Siemens and Elliott in the minors would be ok.

That's probably more likely, I do think Parenteau could help us with Streit. The idea of having a defensively solid partner in EJ wouldn't hurt either.

I can tell you one thing, I don't want Zannon on the roster at all next year. Buy out Zannon and trade Wilson if we get both guys, buy out Zannon if we only get one.

Either way, send Zannon through waivers, if no one picks him up. Buy him out!

I wonder if dropping him through waivers sometime in this last week would be a good idea? Some teams with more money might see him as added depth going into the playoffs. Can't guys still be claimed off waivers even now?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Do people really think Elliott should start the year in the minors? I would have thought so too, but not after his recent stretch of strong play. We really could use his puck moving presence.

My one wish is Scuderi, but he's likely to cash in and I don't see us committing more than a couple of years to ANYONE. I would imagine we see Gonchar or Streit before we see Scuderi.

Shouldn't Jones help on that department as well? Basically we would be replacing Elliott's puck skills with Jones'. That's an honest question since i don't know exactly what to expect from Jones on his first season.

Personally i would like to see Elliott bulk up a little and work on his defense more. I'm still not comfortable with Barrie and Elliott defensively right now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It'll be interesting to see what Avs do with Downie and Stastny. They either have to re-sign them or trade them. You can't let them get to free agency.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It'll be interesting to see what Avs do with Downie and Stastny. They either have to re-sign them or trade them. You can't let them get to free agency.

I would hope Stastny will be decided on this off-season, Downie may be mid-season or next off-season because of the injury.

I'm still hoping Stastny will take something between 5-5.5 a year for 5 or 6 years. Same with O'Reilly...

Ideally I'd like to see all three of our centers locked in long term this off-season. Regardless of trade plans, either of O'Reilly or Stastny would be more valuable locked up at a reasonable amount for 4-6 years.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

I would bet they re-sign Stastny and trade ROR, and they also try to re-sign Downie if he is healthy before the trade deadline.

Certainly next season will be an entertaining one.

Will Sacco be fired?
Will Sherman be fired?
Who will be our new coach and GM?
Who will we draft?
What happens to Stastny and ROR?
How the next contracts of Duchene, Landeskog, Varlamov, ROR or Stastny will look like?
Will there be another holdout?

Hopefully we manage to get back in the playoffs in the process.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I would bet they re-sign Stastny and trade ROR, and they also try to re-sign Downie if he is healthy before the trade deadline.

Certainly next season will be an entertaining one.

Will Sacco be fired?
Will Sherman be fired?
Who will be our new coach and GM?
Who will we draft?
What happens to Stastny and ROR?
How the next contracts of Duchene, Landeskog, Varlamov, ROR or Stastny will look like?
Will there be another holdout?

Hopefully we manage to get back in the playoffs in the process.

I want ALL THE CENTERS!!

I want EVERYONE FIRED!! lol :naughty:

(Except our scouting staff and Sakic, of course.)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

They need to talk to Stastny and O'Reilly's agents soon and get an idea of what it's going to take to re-sign them. It can't be the usual waiting until the season is over and then trying to get a deal done before free agency. Hopefully they'll know this summer.

Signing Duchene is a must, doesn't matter what it takes. But then they might have to make a decision between O'Reilly and Stastny. If they think he can sign O'Reilly long-term, it might be time to trade Stastny. But if they can't agree to an extension with O'Reilly or if they want both of them back, what's a reasonable contract for Stastny?

As for Downie, you have to see how he comes back from his injury but if he regains that chemistry he had with O'Reilly/Landeskog, I think you have to re-sign him. Of course it depends on how much he'll want but even if they have to overpay a bit to keep him, they should do it. We're weak on wing and Downie will be very valuable when we change divisions and have to play against some bigger/stronger teams.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't understand this whole Avs being a place players wouldn't want to come to....

We signed PAP last summer in a matter of hours for a very reasonable, even below what he could have gotten. We signed Giggy 2 years ago then resigned Giggy.

For fairly young UFA guys(Late 20's) Colorado could very well be a tempting location. Were young with a lot of talent. And Giggys comments followed by the teams response of late shows that we do care.

Were not a bad place to go to, not at all. Filpula(Sp?) would be a really good addition to our top 6. Fast and creative. Can play C to if we need him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's probably not interested in other teams, but Paul Ranger might be worth trying to sign. He's spent a year in AHL now. He's proven that he can play 25 minutes/game in the NHL.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
If we are to get someone to play with Dutch and PA, I think they'd have to have a forechecking presence, and the ability to play physical. While both PA and Dutch aren't afraid to play physical, they should not have to focus on it to be effective.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If we are to get someone to play with Dutch and PA, I think they'd have to have a forechecking presence, and the ability to play physical. While both PA and Dutch aren't afraid to play physical, they should not have to focus on it to be effective.

We need a Ryan Smyth for them.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We need a Ryan Smyth for them.

10 years ago? :sarcasm:

If we draft Barkov and convert him to LW, he'd be good for that role. Obviously I want Jones though, but this is why I brought up Stalberg. Hes fast and hes a grinder, hes having a good season and Chicago does not have a lot of extra cap space.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Jamie McGinn ($1.750m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($3.575m) / Matt Duchene ($3.500m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
John Mitchell ($1.100m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($5.000m) / Steve Downie ($2.650m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / Mark Olver ($0.600m) /

Ryan Wilson ($2.250m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Tyson Barrie ($0.900m)
Matt Hunwick ($1.600m) / Shane O'Brien ($2.000m)
Stefan Elliott ($0.900m) / Greg Zanon ($2.250m)

Semyon Varlamov ($2.833m)
Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1.500m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,158,333; BONUSES: $2,710,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $11,851,667

And that still has Palushaj, Malone, Vincour as RFAs, and Kobasew and Bordealeau as UFAs... plus our first round pick.

No roster room for a Free agent, just going to be another tank year next year. Can't spend money on F/A because management will want to keep all possible funding for all our UFAs/RFAs next year (Stastny, Downie, / Lando, ROR, Duchene, Barrie, Eilliott, Varly)

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

I don't know, sometimes it is a little overrated. One of the best line we ever had was Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Jamie McGinn ($1.750m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($3.575m) / Matt Duchene ($3.500m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
John Mitchell ($1.100m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($5.000m) / Steve Downie ($2.650m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / Mark Olver ($0.600m) /

Ryan Wilson ($2.250m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Tyson Barrie ($0.900m)
Matt Hunwick ($1.600m) / Shane O'Brien ($2.000m)
Stefan Elliott ($0.900m) / Greg Zanon ($2.250m)

Semyon Varlamov ($2.833m)
Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1.500m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,158,333; BONUSES: $2,710,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $11,851,667

And that still has Palushaj, Malone, Vincour as RFAs, and Kobasew and Bordealeau as UFAs... plus our first round pick.

No roster room for a Free agent, just going to be another tank year next year. Can't spend money on F/A because management will want to keep all possible funding for all our UFAs/RFAs next year (Stastny, Downie, / Lando, ROR, Duchene, Barrie, Eilliott, Varly)

I say reunite Landy with ROR and Downie

We need a winger for Dutch and PAP

I voted for Horton but I just realized hes on the wrong side...

Is it a pain for a guy to switch sides?

Also I seriously hope we buy out or trade D Jones and give Sgarbossa a chance

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
All depends on the price of course, but considering most good FAs will want 2+yrs on their deals I'd want to avoid 4m+/yr players.

Viktor Stalberg (RW)
Rob Scuderi
Mason Raymond. (LW)
Andrew Ference

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
He's probably not interested in other teams, but Paul Ranger might be worth trying to sign. He's spent a year in AHL now. He's proven that he can play 25 minutes/game in the NHL.

Just read up on him a couple weeks ago, and wondered the same thing. Should definitely be explored.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
I want Ryder personally. On a two year deal or something.
If not him then Horton. Add either of those guys to this offense to replace Hejduk and we get a lot better I think.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I'd take a Scuderi or Streit. Draft a winger to play with Duchene. Not sure what will become or Stastny or O'Reilly once he can be traded. I'd be more comfortable getting more impact forwards now and waiting to see what happens with them.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Stalberg isn't a bad option either actually, and he likely will hit free agency.

This years UFA crop isn't great as far as top end 1st line talent is concerned. But there are some good 2nd liners we could target.

And, given the Cap situation next year, there will be a lot of teams trying to get rid of salary rather then add. Which should help to keep the price tag on some guys from getting to high.

Between Stalberg, Filppula, Macarthur, Horton, and a couple other guys, we should be able to add another Top 6 talent to fill out our Top 6.

Personally, I think Filppula and Stalberg would be the best options and most cost efficient.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
^ fail :shakehead

:sarcasm: (Not for 5M)

Stalberg, could be another interesting one. He seemed to play well with Duchene over seas. Not exactly that exciting but...

Think about all the Bozak+2nd proposals we could make for Kadri

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad