2013 Expectations & Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
One guy that could be an option in free agency is Daniel Brière. He has family issues that would keep him close to Philly (hf frowns on discussing family life, so I'll say it is a child custody thing and nothing more). He's a possible candidate for a compliance buyout given his high cap hit and low dollars owed. Pronger will be LTIR'd for the rest of his contract and I doubt Philly wants to pay Bryz $45 million to go away...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We don't need another all star. But we do need another scoring threat. Preferably a RHS who's still in his prime.

Build around Sid/Geno and they won't let you down in the postseason. Impossible to shut both of them down.

I'll take Shero acquiring Iginla and Kulemin and then take my chances with Kunitz-Sid-Iginla and Kulemin-Geno-Neal.

I thought last year and think again now that the Pens can overcome a lot of questions if they can put teams into a no win situation in terms of dealing with Sid and Geno. The Pens advantage is that they have Sid and Geno. Exploit that advantage. Don't diminish it with guys who shouldn't be in the top six (even Dupuis, who played a fourth line role in the cup win, lest we forget, would be best utilized on a shut down line with Sutter and Cooke).

Philly sold out to stop Kunitz-Geno-Neal, and Sid didn't have the help to exploit what could have been a great opportunity (e.g., absent a forechecker like Kunitz, Timonen had a much easier time with Sid than he did the previous couple of playoff series).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
IF we get a game going.. what do you expect from the Pens? Are we Cup contenders? Do we make trades? Any schematic changes? Will Crosby/Geno be on fire at the same time? Will Paul Martin get back to original form? Will any prospects show they are ready to dominate? Is Joe Victory going to lead this team single-handed to a Stanley Cup?

A million questions... so you tell me what your expectations are of the 2013 Pens.

Contenders? Any time you've got Sid and Geno, you've got a chance.

Trades? I hope so. I want two wingers and legit playoff #4 (a guy to pair with Letang would be ideal but unlikely). The Pens definitely have the assets. Question really isn't whether the Pens can make trades but whether Shero is willing to give up the assets like 2008 and 2009. My hopes for more not withstanding, I think he adds a top six forward and a top four defenseman.

Schematic changes? Unfortunately, I don't see how anyone could expect this. Hoping for this may be more far fetched than my hope for Iginla and Kulemin.

Crosby/Geno? They will go nuts, and at the same time. They'll be unstoppable as a duo if Ray Shero puts both of them into the best possible position to succeed.

Paul Martin Form? I hope he doesn't blow chunks. That said, what's his original form? He was a 2/3 who played a 1 role in NJ in a defensively insulated environment. I suspect how he rebounds will have more to do with systemic changes and how much more help Shero gives Sid and Geno than with anything Martin does in his own right.

Prospects? I think a couple have the potential to contribute significantly if given the chance. The real question is whether Bylsma gives any of them a real chance. That would represent a philosophical change.

Joe V? With both hands tied behind his back . . .

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'll take Shero acquiring Iginla and Kulemin and then take my chances with Kunitz-Sid-Iginla and Kulemin-Geno-Neal.

I thought last year and think again now that the Pens can overcome a lot of questions if they can put teams into a no win situation in terms of dealing with Sid and Geno. The Pens advantage is that they have Sid and Geno. Exploit that advantage. Don't diminish it with guys who shouldn't be in the top six (even Dupuis, who played a fourth line role in the cup win, lest we forget, would be best utilized on a shut down line with Sutter and Cooke).

Philly sold out to stop Kunitz-Geno-Neal, and Sid didn't have the help to exploit what could have been a great opportunity (e.g., absent a forechecker like Kunitz, Timonen had a much easier time with Sid than he did the previous couple of playoff series).

I don't think it can be stated enough, for our system to work in the postseason, we need to have sustained pressure in the offensive zone. Giving Sid/Geno players who can help them torch the opposing defense. Our defense will start looking alot better against tough forechecking teams like Philly.

Maybe I'm misinformed, but our style of hockey is playing defense in their zone. Forcing them to deal with our skill, grit and speed. Give me hardworking talented linemates for Sid/Geno and Ill roll with our defense in a tweaked scheme in the postseason.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think it can be stated enough, for our system to work in the postseason, we need to have sustained pressure in the offensive zone. Giving Sid/Geno players who can help them torch the opposing defense. Our defense will start looking alot better against tough forechecking teams like Philly.

Maybe I'm misinformed, but our style of hockey is playing defense in their zone. Forcing them to deal with our skill, grit and speed. Give me hardworking talented linemates for Sid/Geno and Ill roll with our defense in a tweaked scheme in the postseason.

And I'll feel a lot more comfortable about the lingering playoff questions.

I go back to last season's Martin for Malone talk. A lot of people thought Malone was overpaid (he is) and worried about the Martin to Despres drop off.

BUT, if you'd had Malone with Geno and Neal and then slid Kunitz back with Sid (and even Dupuis), I think Kunitz's forechecking would've helped Sid a lot more than the Martin to Despres fall off (if there was one) would've hurt. For starters, a guy like Timonen would not have had such an easy time of things.

It'll be interesting to see, sans Staal, if Shero is more aggressive about giving both Sid and Geno a pair of Kunitz+ caliber linemates each.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Well as long as we do not care about the cost of aquiring him, and are just focused on how *****in' Iggy would be on Crosby's wing, why not Stamkos and Ovechkin as our pipe dream? And Mila Kunis as my date as well. I would say a million dollars a year in salary but the taxes would now be too high. Make it $399,999.99 per year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And I'll feel a lot more comfortable about the lingering playoff questions.

I go back to last season's Martin for Malone talk. A lot of people thought Malone was overpaid (he is) and worried about the Martin to Despres drop off.

BUT, if you'd had Malone with Geno and Neal and then slid Kunitz back with Sid (and even Dupuis), I think Kunitz's forechecking would've helped Sid a lot more than the Martin to Despres fall off (if there was one) would've hurt. For starters, a guy like Timonen would not have had such an easy time of things.

I wasn't big on this last year, but I've since warmed up to the idea.

Playoffs probably had a lot to do with it, haha.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wasn't big on this last year, but I've since warmed up to the idea.

Playoffs probably had a lot to do with it, haha.

Well, it's always easy to be right in hindsight. ;)

As I said, the one advantage that the Pens have that nobody else has is Sid and Geno. Exploit the advantage. Don't neutralize it with the likes of Sullivan and Dupuis. I'd worry a lot less if the Pens gave Sid and Geno two legitimate scoring line wingers each and had questions in other areas than I'd worry if there were fewer questions in other areas and Sid and Geno went into the playoffs shorthanded again.

Think about the two cup years: Sid had two legit wingers both times (Dupuis I'd call shaky, but Hossa + Dupuis = Kunitz + Guerin in terms of overall effect). Geno had Malone and Sykora in 2008 when the Pens marched through the East. 2009, he had Feds and Talbot, but there were two helpful factors in (1) Talbot morphing into Malone 2.0 in terms of style and (2) the Pens not running into a great defensive team the whole run (Detroit was decent, but without Datsyuk healthy they had nobody to matchup against Geno).

Think about the two years with Sid and Geno since . . . they've gone into the playoffs shorthanded, comparatively speaking.

Well as long as we do not care about the cost of aquiring him, and are just focused on how *****in' Iggy would be on Crosby's wing, why not Stamkos and Ovechkin as our pipe dream? And Mila Kunis as my date as well. I would say a million dollars a year in salary but the taxes would now be too high. Make it $399,999.99 per year.

Iginla can be acquired for assets that the Pens can afford to move (like Hossa in 2008). But, perhaps you're right in the hyperbole . . . shoot for Stamkos and Ovechkin and otherwise go only for the low cost deals when that doesn't pan out and hope all the kids are ready to give Sid and Geno the type of help they had during the two cup runs sometime before they both turn 30. Sorry, Jaded, but Iginla isn't a pipe dream (if Calgary is a seller), and he's worth giving to get. Sid and Geno deserve that.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It's Jarome ****in' Iglina. If he's on the market (which I question 'cause Calgary mang. is delusional), then I hope Shero jumps in line.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
KIRK is apparently back. When it comes to the ideal forward setup, that means I don't need to say much :laugh: That said, I don't know if we have the means to get what we want in that regard.

One guy that could be an option in free agency is Daniel Brière. He has family issues that would keep him close to Philly (hf frowns on discussing family life, so I'll say it is a child custody thing and nothing more). He's a possible candidate for a compliance buyout given his high cap hit and low dollars owed. Pronger will be LTIR'd for the rest of his contract and I doubt Philly wants to pay Bryz $45 million to go away...

I really hate that guy. But man he would be a nice addition at the right cost.

jrm2054

Jan 2, 2013
As we stand we are contenders, but as others have said I think we need another legit winger for Sid.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Contenders? Of course we are. This year however we don't have the best roster in the league. IMO we had that last year and ****ed it up. Coach plus nr. 1 goalie the obvious reasons.

Trades? I sure hope that we are going to sacrifice some of that fantastic D-man prospect depth to get some top6 help.
However, we have no non-integral players with REAL value, because Martin has been what he has been on the contract that he has, and because those D-men prospects haven't done anything in the NHL.

Schematic changes? Depending on which D-men makes the team, I would sure hope so. It is fine and well that a coach has a strong affinity for a certain system, but then either that has to be matched by the GM finding D-men who can execute that, or as a coach you adjust the system to the players you have.

Crosby/Geno? Will rock. I mean, why not?

Paul Martin Form? I honestly think he will be an improved version on last year, but this season our coach MUST recognize what some of us have said since before Martin was signed. If you do not pair him with someone physical - preferably with size also - it will be a big problem defensively... and don't pair him with someone more offensive than himself. Right now I am thinking Engelland.

Orpik Letang
Martin Engelland
Despres Niskanen

If Despres looks the part, the third pairing can become a second pairing and we can deal Martin for a forward, adding vet insurance at the deadline.

Prospects? I fully expect that we will piss away Strait in a Letestu like deal, perhaps Bortuzzo as well. Of course, we can stomach that because of our D-depth, but great asset management it is not (or rather wouldn't be).
As for forwards.... hopefully Tangradi gets a chance and grabs it. Otherwise I don't think we have anyone for this season. Bennett looks like an option for 13/14.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
One guy that could be an option in free agency is Daniel Brière.

That uh, that would be strange to see him in black and gold. But in my mind, there's no use in acquiring Briere for anything other than a playoff run (i.e. as a rental). His natural position is C anyway so not sure he'd be that great a fit, but he's undoubtedly clutch come playoff time and undoubtedly more skilled than any winger we have including Neal (although his snap-shot and wrist-shot are not as dangerous as Neal's IMO).

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I would love to see Iggy as a Pen but whats the price tag on him. The 2013 draft looks like a good one so that 1st should hold some high value. I actually don't think the Pens have what the Flames would want or just a boatload like.... Kunitz, Despres and a 1st.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
They'd be asking for Pouliot I'd imagine. Only way Id see Shero pulling the trigger is if he was confident Iginla is a Pen for the next 3-4 years. Basically we get a perfect top line winger contributing to our Cup chances in the time period it'd take for Pouliot to develop. I'd do it, but Im all about winning a Cup in the next few years.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

For those reasons wouldn't NJD's be a better fit for him?

However, I do like that, having his versatility.

I don't hate him, and I doubt the Flyers send him our way helping retool their biggest rival.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Briere was awful on the wing when the Flyers tried him there when Jeff Carter was still there. In fact, Briere was rendered pretty much useless on the wing.

I don't see him as an option at all.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Briere was awful on the wing when the Flyers tried him there when Jeff Carter was still there. In fact, Briere was rendered pretty much useless on the wing.

I don't see him as an option at all.
The Pens and Disco are different though. They don't really use their winger to drive the net the way that Lavs and the Flyers do. If Briere is used more as a playmaking/ haulting winger next to Sid it might work out with them giving and going up the ice.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I think there are better options unless we need a rental and no one else is available.

Iggy would be a much better fit but the question is what kind of contract will he want next year at 36-ish? If he's willing to take a nice pay cut then fine but there's no way I'd invest $7M in that guy unless the Pens think he's physically in top shape and he'd take a 2 year offer to take a run at the Cup.

Dupuis - Sid - Iginla
Kunitz - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Whoever

Would be a pretty great example of a Cup Favorite roster. Lot of skill and balance there.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd give him 3 years @ 6.5 mil. He'll be better at age 39 than Neal ever will. As a free agent, it's totally justified IMO.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Just to clarify I'm saying you consider signing Briere if the Flyers are forced to buy him out. I doubt they would ever trade him to the Pens willingly.

Slabber Chops

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
I don't think it can be stated enough, for our system to work in the postseason, we need to have sustained pressure in the offensive zone. Giving Sid/Geno players who can help them torch the opposing defense.

Bang on, brother. Bang on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad