Tangradi/Glass - Vitale - Adams

Orpik - Letang
Despres - Niskanen
Martin - Engelland

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The optimist (and partly the realist because I realize Kennedy won't be traded or bought out most likely) version of me thinks:

Dupuis - Sid - Trade
Kunitz - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy

The pessimist version of me thinks:

Dupuis - Sid - Kennedy
Kunitz - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Tangradi (if he does well at camp)

D will be

Letang, Orpik, Martin, Despres, Nisky, Engo, Bortuzzo (based on what people have been saying about his play, combined with how soft our D has been at times)

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
One trade possibility I mentioned in the other thread, that I think is realistic possibility / would work for both teams in all respects:

Does Martin have trade value? I'd say yes, he still has some especially WRT to teams like EDM who are very thin on the D front, and overflowing with offensive talent. Barring the typical HFB tendancy to cook up multi-player deals in our head I think the most obvious swap would be Martin for Hemsky. Both guys are skilled at what they do, both need a fresh start, both have the exact same cap hit. The Pens might include Kennedy in the deal to get rid of the salary / make some more breathing room, and acquire another pick in a strong draft class of forwards.

You end up with:

Dupuis - Sid - Hemsky
Kunitz - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Tangradi

Letang / Orpik, Despres / Nisky, Engo / Bortuzzo, Strait

I could live with that for a transitional, shortened, crap-shoot of a season. Hemsky has never been a favorite trade candidate of mine but I could live with it, and it fits a need for both teams without shackling either with a higher salary than they're giving up. EDM is around $63M right now, so possibly they wouldn't accept that salary dump but they have a bunch of key players going FA this summer so there will be room to juggle.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Kennedy - Crosby - Dupuis
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Jeffrey
Tangradi/Glass - Vitale - Adams

Orpik - Letang
Despres - Niskanen
Martin - Engelland

These are exactly the lines they start with, except Depres' spot is on the 3rd pairing and he will be fighting for it....Open competition and I'm not so sure he is a clear favorite with his current AHL season.......end thread

It would be nice to see BB get a shot as the 14th skater.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
These are exactly the lines they start with, except Depres' spot is on the 3rd pairing and he will be fighting for it....Open competition and I'm not so sure he is a clear favorite with his current AHL season.......end thread

It would be nice to see BB get a shot as the 14th skater.

No thanks.

Are people forgetting how awful TK was with Crosby? I'd rather see BB play on Sid's LW then have Sid's head explode again in frustration.

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke/Tangradi-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi/Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
it makes my blood boil to see crosby stuck with those wingers.

Sid will play with Kunitz. He has to. He should have played with Kunitz when he got back last year too. If not right away, when it became obvious we needed to shake things up in the playoffs. It never happened and it was infuriating.

I know I've talked about it before, but for our lines I always think of them as an A, B and C. You have your A who is the guy who defines the line. That's Sid and Geno. Then you have your B. These are the guys that really make the line click like Neal. Then you have the C. These are your third wheel guys. Kunitz is a B/C tweener imo. But as of right now, he is the only B available for Sid. So even though he's an awesome third wheel for Geno and Neal, I really think we'll get the most out of him by letting him be Sid's guy. The third wheel role is simply easier to fill. Sorry Geno. Dupuis shouldn't be Sid's go to guy. And TK sure as hell shouldn't be either.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
it makes my blood boil to see crosby stuck with those wingers.
I actually think Neal is perfect for Crosby's line and the Pens should be shopping for Malkins wingers.

Even if Malkin/ Neal sticks long term I think Sid still gets Kunitz and Dupes. He's worked well with them in the past and might see less checking because teams will try to defend Malkin/ Neal.

I know some people think the Pens have a lot of holes but landing that 1 scoring winger makes for a very nice top 9. Sure it would be great to land Iggy, Marleau, Pominville or Elias but a guy like Clowe, Lupul or Pavelski would be just as great.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I actually think Neal is perfect for Crosby's line and the Pens should be shopping for Malkins wingers.

Even if Malkin/ Neal sticks long term I think Sid still gets Kunitz and Dupes. He's worked well with them in the past and might see less checking because teams will try to defend Malkin/ Neal.

I know some people think the Pens have a lot of holes but landing that 1 scoring winger makes for a very nice top 9. Sure it would be great to land Iggy, Marleau, Pominville or Elias but a guy like Clowe, Lupul or Pavelski would be just as great.

If we grabbed Clowe in the offseason I would like to try
Tangradi Malkin Clowe
A big strong line that would have excellent puck possession. That line could score goals and physically wear down oppositions d. Obviously if tangradi stinks then I'm sure he will see the third line or be gone all together

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If we grabbed Clowe in the offseason I would like to try
Tangradi Malkin Clowe
A big strong line that would have excellent puck possession. That line could score goals and physically wear down oppositions d. Obviously if tangradi stinks then I'm sure he will see the third line or be gone all together

i would love clowe so hard

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yeah Clowe is legit mean too. I would love to see Kunitz-Sid-Clowe and then Anyone-Malkin-Neal.

Get ready for Monday boys!!!

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think we need another precision tool. If we're talking SJ forwards, Pavelski all day. RHS, versatile player, F/O ace, can play in any situation.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If we want to put Neal on with Sid, I would like to try to Kulemin.

In fact...there are several wings I wouldn't mind trying for...

Grabbing Kulemin and Clowe at the deadline would be money.

Kunitz-Crosby-Clowe
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

That is a legit, cup contending top 9. The only thing that would suck there is I'm not sure if Clowe is fast enough to keep up with Sid. Dupuis's speed is key to his even semi-ability to "keep up" with Sid.

Clowe for TK + 2nd/Dman prosp
Kulemin for ...?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If we want to put Neal on with Sid, I would like to try to Kulemin.

In fact...there are several wings I wouldn't mind trying for...

Grabbing Kulemin and Clowe at the deadline would be money.

Kunitz-Crosby-Clowe
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

That is a legit, cup contending top 9. The only thing that would suck there is I'm not sure if Clowe is fast enough to keep up with Sid. Dupuis's speed is key to his even semi-ability to "keep up" with Sid.

Clowe for TK + 2nd/Dman prosp
Kulemin for ...?

We won a Cup with Guerin on Sid's wing. Sid won a Gold Medal with Iginla on his wing. I think Clowe would be just fine. I think speed is overstated as something needed to play with Sid.

As far as cost to get either of those guys, I have no clue. Neither will come for cheap.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If they are smart Pavelski will be a Shark for a long time.

Quite a few Sharks had a lot of harsh things to say about him this past season...makes me weary of him.

What about Setoguchi? Think he's on the table anymore...at all?

I guess we should be checking out the teams who are in the $60-70mil range that would need to get down a couple mil assuming there is a season and the cap goes down.

Find a $5-6mil winger for a cap strapped team and offer up TK/DJ + pick as a cheap replacement.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I would still be happy to have Setoguchi. I still think they will try to move Heatly if they decide to move a wing.

They need a top 4 D-man. They have the forward prospects to replace Seto. We'll see how our blue line pans out this season (hopefully). But I think despite Despres' less than stellar AHL season thus far, he's a #5 at the very least in the NHL and possibly a good complement to an elite puck mover. And the rumors of teams calling about Martin is a good sign. He's only going to up his value. Guy can't play any worse.

No idea if Setoguchi can be had in a trade by the Pens, but he's absolutely every bit of what I'd look for in Crosby's Neal. Quicker, RHS and physical.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Not sure how anyone who was against adding Semin could be for acquiring Setoguchi considering how Semin's perceived character was beaten like a dead horse over and over again as the reason why the team shouldn't sign him.

Setoguchi is the same guy who missed a practice last year because he was partying the night before and was suspended for a game and he's currently suspended indefinitely from the ECHL team he signed up with. Seems like a guy with poor character and character is big deal to a lot of people here.

I know one's Canadian and one is Russian, but I don't see how anyone could be for acquiring one and not the other, especially since Semin is a better player and would have only cost money to sign and not assets to acquire in a trade like Setoguchi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad